PS3 decision, please help ASAP.

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Nov 17, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Despite being gypped by Wal-Mart (first in line, lost the lottery) then gypped by ShopKo ("No, we're not allowing lines till 9:00 tonight" then changing their mind half an hour later when two people put more pressure) and not being able to camp out, I managed to miraculously get my hands on a PS3 that shipped late to a Best Buy in another city (I am eternally grateful to the kind local Best Buy employee who checked the shipping records for me and gave me the heads up).

It's a 20 GB PS3.

Should I put it on eBay immediately? One-night auction, or should I make it a three day auction so people can take a day to try to find the PS3 before realizing its hopeless and going to eBay?

What should I do to protect myself from eBay scammers (I'll use my mom's account, she has 100% positive feedback IIRC, or at the very least no negative feedback)? Would Craigslist be a better option?

Please give me recommendations as soon as you can as I'll have to put it up soon if I do that.

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

My roommate and I sold ours today for $2k on craigslist within ~5 minutes of posting it at that price. I'd get rid of the thing ASAP.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Go Craigslist. You'll only be dealing with locals, so there won't be any shipping or PayPal hassles, and you can arrange to meet them at a bank to make the purchase (so you can verify a check is good before you accept it).

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

5. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Ive always been skeptical about craigslist because of the potential danger than can arise in meeting face to face. Especially here in Miami for me. Anyhow good luck with your sale and let us kno how it went!

He probably used an iSight..

6. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Apparently the iSight on my MacBook does that when I snap Photobooth pictures. I editted them in preview but when I uploaded I got the originals strangely :(

The o.b.o. is because I'll readily go down to $2000 if asked. Should I take it off?

7. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

You can press apple key+F to flip the photos :)

I dont think so because I've been watching PS3 ebay sales for about 4 straight hours...and the price keeps going down and down, Im seeing an AVG of the 60GB one going for about $1850 now, when it was about $2200 a couple of hours ago. Seems like every1 is picking up their ps3's after work and putting them on ebay asap. I plan on putting a BUY IT NOW option on the last one i have to sell, at around $1950.

8. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Okay this is starting to tick me off. Everytime I hit the list button I get:
    Sell:Feature unavailable
    This feature is temporarily unavailable
    Your selections have caused errors. Please click Continue below to go back and correct your errors.

on eBay...

9. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's been up on eBay a couple hours now, 24-hour auction.

Starting bid at $500, reserve at $1100, buy it now at $1700.

I'm starting to wonder now, with the 30,000 other PS3's currently on eBay, might it be a better idea to wait and sell closer to Christmas?

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ Very good idea mate. Now you have the hardcore gamers wanting a system, but closer to christmas you'll have hardcore AND desperate parents. I'd say give it an extra week or 2 perhaps?

11. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I definitely agree, the closer to Christmas it gets the better.

You'll be making time for all those other auctions to end, buyers will be more desperate/rushed, and that can only be good.

A few safety tips for eBay (even though it's already listed, I'll list them anyway)...

- State you will only accept bids from those with positive feedback (no new users)
    - For added safety, accept only Money Orders or Cashier's Checks - these are as good as cash although slower since they have to be mailed. Getting the money Wired would also be an option.
    - You could also state you will ship 10 days after payment is received to verify the transaction was legitimate. Personal checks will clear in that time, etc. This could make the auction much less popular, though.

In my experience having an auction start at $1 with No Reserve usually ends up getting you the most money. You get more bidders that way (read: bigger bidding wars) and people feel they have a chance to get an awesome deal (exactly why you get more bidders).

Although that can be "scary", I've never lost out doing this... you really don't have to worry about being forced to sell it for $5 or something, heh.

12. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Whats up GFL. Check it out ive been looking at ebay ps3 auctions from like 8 PM last night to about 2 AM. The prices went from an avg of $2200 to about $1800, and i havent even checked where they are at right now. I'm sure its the surplus of PS3's that are on ebay now. I decided not to put mine, and save it for around Dec. 8-10. Remember shipping gets delayed cuz of the holidays, so i would do it earlier so i wouldnt screw the buyer.

EDIT: They are around $1200 right now. WOW depreciated $1000 over night.

13. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That's why I'm thinking of waiting. I'm keeping my reserve at $1100 (maybe I'll bump it to $1200). If it doesn't sell, I keep till December...

I'll be tempted to open the box though :(

Last night there was 30,000 other PS3's on eBay selling at the same time. That's nearly 10% of all the PS3's Sony promised to ship, and we know they didn't even meet that. It's oversaturation.

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Talk about consumer demand for a product, eh? :rolleyes:

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's the problem. Soon the people who are willing to pay an inflated price will quickly dry up and there will be 10-15,000 ps3's on ebay not selling at all.

Leaving your sale to december means you may only end up selling for just over cost. The kind of person who is willing to spend $2000 on a ps3 buys them quickly and from or prior to day 1.

You may end up selling for little more than you paid - if over at all.

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

That sounds reasonable, but that wasn't the case with PS2. The entire holiday season saw PS2's selling for $300 over retail price.