PS3 delayed until November

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ouch perhaps? An even bigger ouch is that it's November in Japan.

I suppose us Brits and possibly worse still our Australian brethren won't be seeing the PS3 until mid-2007! going off the PSP's launch.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/14/breaking-news-ps3-delayed-until-november/

... Or could they go ahead without BluRay? if it means getting out before Nintendo and making a 2006 release then who knows?

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

So Xbox 360 has a year ahead in sales before the PS3 hits the shores ??:confused: :confused:

if i read the story correctly then :eek: :eek:

3. natehan macrumors member

natehan

If the rumors are true, at least us Americans will get it at the same time of the Japanese release

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Highly unlikely. I see a spring US release and a mid-late 2007 EU release (why do Sony hate us so? :confused:)

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I doubt that. A near-simultaneous launch in 2 of the biggest console markets?
    my prediction;

Japan- November 2006
    US- January 2007
    Europe- April/May 2007

of course I'm judging from previous console release dates. Though with all the BluRay, Cell (aka. super hardware) launch dates could be further into 2007.

6. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Agreed. Its not just Sony that hates us, its Nintendo too. I bet we'll get the DS Lite last in the world.:(

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

What about MS? Has the 360 hit Australia yet?

8. soundguynz macrumors newbie

Just did an ad in New Zealand, xbox 360 released 21 march at 12.01am

Few been in electronics shops on demo

They can keep it, waiting for PS3 unless Gran Turismo 5 comes out on xbox

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

To all you Sony fanboys* (and you know who you are):

Told you so.

* I own more Sony gear than most anyone... but I think they've screwed the pooch when it comes to the PS3. The Xbox 360 is a killer system, it's already out, and it's slowly killing Sony's chances of maintaining market dominance in the videogame console arena.

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

... especially since the Xbox and PS3 are so similar on the power level.

Really though, from the same company who uber-hype what where people expecting? a real Spring 2006 launch? :rolleyes:
    I hope for their sakes they do a 360 and drop the next gen disc format support and get that machine out now if it wants to contend against MS and Nintendo. Especially since Sony own a handful of unique games now.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, the DS was a near simultaneous launch.

PSP wasn't however.

12. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Uhh, I don't think Sony wants to miss out on the American Christmas shopping season. I can definitely see them getting it here by novemeber. I think they're doing everything they can to get it here before Christmas.

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Unless they can guarantee enough units to meet demand (which I seriously doubt -- they couldn't with the PS2, and Microsoft couldn't with the 360 during its launch), a Christmastime launch might be a mistake. People who go to the shops to get a PS3 for their kids may just pick up an Xbox 360 when the PS3 isn't available... especially since 360s will be in plentiful supply by then.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well sony is done.. It was a bad move... It a year after the 360 came out, but perhaps these might have one good thing. Some people will aready have a 360, so the PS3 will be in a time frame by itself(i hope the Rev is out sooner then the PS3.)

Kinda hope sony loses some ground. Never like them!:eek:

15. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Fine by me...

It may take me that long to finish some of my PS2 games :) .

Makes my Force feedback steering wheel purchase feel all that much better now :) .

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well if it is delayed then fine..once they get everything right. Sony will still come and people will still buy...i see no big dent here to knock sony out the picture like some of you are saying(talk about fanboyism gezz) but we still don't know what will happen.

Bless

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

"Done" is too strong a word. The Dreamcast had nearly a year lead and got burned by the PS2.

On the other hand, the PS2 had a year lead and owned the XBox and GameCube.

However, nobody in Japan will buy an XBox 360. That's a fact. So I think Sony will lose a lot of ground in the United States and some in Europe, but they'll retain Japan (where Nintendo will become the new threat).

18. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

A little off-topic but I've been wondering about this for a few days now... How do racers work on the PS2? I've played a couple of my Cube and Xbox but they've got triggers. so yea. How do you control acceleration on a PS2 Dual Shock controller?

19. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

PS2, Xbox 1+2 have pressure sensitive buttons. Press it lightly, and the car will run slow, cram the button, and the car will burn some rubber :)

Still waiting on Nintendo to implement those. :(

20. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

Yea, that a very good point Clay. That being said,i personaly believe that the battle will be more 'bout the game because it look like performance are going to be very similar, the only real thing setting them appart on the hardware side is the blue ray drive BUT we still have to see if that will be an advantage or a disadvantage as it may add a lot to the selling price and we still to know if dev really need all that space now. For now it's techninical win by MS because there the only one in the ring and their startin to impress people. We will only see the real winner when the Battle Royal will begin between MS, Nintendo and sony.(i would bet a dollard on nintendo for most profit)

21. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

We can only hope....

22. nimbus macrumors regular

I "LOLed."

There is no way in hell that Sony will not launch PS3 during Xmas, few systems or what, they are going to put it out at least by then.

Xbox is a "killer" system compared to the LAST generation systems that are out. That's like saying Godzilla is the best, when he's in the ring with the Geico Gekko. Oh yeah, killing Sony's dominance? PS2 sold over 100 million units, and it's STILL selling well. The dominance is there. Sony just has to get the PS3 out for the Xmas season...and it's March. So it has time, plenty of it.

Saying "I own more Sony gear than most anyone" is like saying "I'm not a racist, I have a Black friend." If that was you trying to show that you're not biased, I guess I understand...
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

23. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Saturn vs. PSOne, Dreamcast vs. PS2

Just a reminder that being first out the gate doesn't always mean winning the market.

24. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Yuck, I hope they don't, I never feel like I'm holding a button hard enough on a ps2 controller, and always end up with sore thumbs. Unless I can actually discern the amount of pressure the controller is picking up, hells no!

25. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Lies!!
    I can get a free PS3 if I just click on the advertisement at the bottom of the screen.:) :p