PS3 DVD Upscaling in the Works (?)

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, Mar 2, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=4193

ooh ahh, about time :p Not a direct confirmation or anything but....

No timetable for it sucks, but at least Sony is considering it. I was about to buy an upconverting DVD player in a few months but if PS3 will become one then maybe I won't waste the $150

This is a big time for PS3 news/rumors (mostly rumors)

2. darkwing macrumors 65816

How will the upscaling of the DVD be any different than the upscaling your tv already does?

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

As far as I've read, nicer TVs will have perfectly satisfactory upscaling capability, but many older/less-expensive sets do not, in which case a player with good upscaling would be an improvement. We can't all have SXRDs.

4. darkwing macrumors 65816

I have an SXRD but I decided between the KDS60A2000 and that XBR2 and decided $800 wasn't worth an extra HDMI port and supposed "v2.5" of their scaling chip. I mean, scaling is scaling. If the PS3 wants to do it and you already have one, then that's great. An HDMI upscaling dvd player came with my 7.1 HTIB and I don't notice any difference in display quality over my old Sony progressive DVD player.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

That would be because Sony's units have pretty excellent scalers. I have an XBR1 and, like you, I see little difference between an upconverting player and the set's internal scaler. But this isn't the case for every TV, and certainly not for many older HD sets. Not everyone has a new HDTV.

And 'scaling is' not 'scaling'. There are high-end $1500 upscaling players and $150 upscaling players and quite a large difference between the two.