PS3 expected to dominate Xbox 360 and Revolution.

Discussion in 'Games' started by AlmightyG5, Nov 18, 2005.

1. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

Interesting article:200 million next-gen consoles sold by 2012

"The report predicts that over the next seven years, around 200 million next-generation consoles will be sold. Of those, 121.8 million (60.9 percent) will be PS3s, 58.8 (29.4 percent) will be Xbox 360s, and just 18 million (9 percent) will be Nintendo Revolutions. "Cumulative retail revenues for all consoles over this period will exceed $47 billion," said the report."

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I just LOVE (absolutely being sarcastic here) how these analysts come up with these overly-precise numbers... they stink of being pulled out of someone's ass.

If this analyst is proven WRONG, do we get to punish him?

3. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I dont think that's a bad prediction. Nintendo is out of the race; the perception is "less advanced konsole for kiddies." And as for Microsoft, even Microsoft's #1 fan/shill, Paul Thurott, seems to think that the opening lineup of games is disappointing ("not spectacular") and may cost Microsoft the chance to build a possible lead.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Playstation has always had the game power, and, in the end, the games get the buyers, not how good the graphics are. Basically the only reason that so many XBoxes sold was for Halo (that's the only reason I'd ever buy an Xbox). PS3 will now have the super next-gen graphics advantage, as well as an insane number of good games...Playstation has always been a step ahead of the XBox, and Microsoft has succeeded at getting a good share of the market, but they won't own it as they intend to.

5. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

A lot can happen between now and 2012. I might even introduce a new gaming system.

6. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

You're better off trying to predict what Apple's going to do in the next 2 years.

7. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

I know my next gaming console won't be a Revolution. Have you seen the controls for that thing? Blech!

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, it looks like the best FPS controller ever created :confused:

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm really looking forward to the PS3, and I'll almost definitely get a Revolution, but it's very unlikely that I will get an Xbox360. I think there is at least a small possibility that Nintendo will take a lot of people by surprise with the popularity of Revolution.

10. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I'd agree. Nintendo seems to be doing a lot of experimentation, development, and implementation that is only minimally being recognized/appreciated (DS, Rev. controller, WiFi). They may fade a bit in short term, but there will be a point when the "more power" philosophy fails and something else will step in...Nintendo seems to be setting themselves up to benefit from that situation.

11. PixelFactory macrumors regular

According to Strategy Analytics, the Xbox 360 will be the top console in the US and European markets...until 2007, provided Sony exploits its console's online potential and technical muscle. "Microsoft's Xbox 360 will present a serious challenge to Sony's dominance of the games console market," read the report. "But the PlayStation 3 (PS3) will eventually pull ahead if Sony ensures that its online experience matches that of the Xbox 360, and that its Cell processor technology meets its full potential to transform gaming into a near-video quality experience."

There are some big ifs in that analysis. As far as I know, Sony is letting developers deal with the online experience and we don't know if the PS3 will deliver on "near-video" quality graphics. My guess, not till 2008 when developers finally learn to exploit the system's power if ever.

12. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, a few choice games is what really pushes a console - at present. Then you keep buying games for that console.

But the next Gen will also be heavily influenced by online support (and cheapness and server lag etc) and Bluray roll out.

13. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I can't believe I bought a slim PS2 last month...

:)

14. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

The last i heard from the analysts they predicted the 360 would dominate due to live play and its early start.......

Guess we'll have to wait and see,

Shadow

15. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I have a PS2, Xbox and a GameCube, and the only one that satisfied me enough to warrant a future purchase was the Nintendo GameCube. So my next system will be a revolution.

I only got an Xbox for Halo 1 & 2... It was the most powerful, but really, the GameCube looked just as good, if not better (Have you seen the water effects in Mario Sunshine?, or SSB Melee running at 60fps and Never slowing down?) Halo sometimes halted to a crawl during intense scenes, and didn't look _That_ much better (If any)

PS2 looked like Crap, and loading was a pain. Its mainly a DVD player now. My Xbox DVD tray busted, and I fixed it myself (Oh boy does it look ugly now)... I just finished playing SSB Melee with some friends.

I believe that if the Revolution was marketed better, it would gain so much more hype, and rise Nintendo's market share a lot more. I can't wait for the revolution. I won't even think about buying an Xbox 2 untl Halo 3 comes out, and even then I'll think about it.

16. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

This analysts name wouldnt happen to be Ken Kuturagi would it????

PS3. lol.

How the **** can you build a machine thats supposed to have a "SuperComputer on a chip" and a Nvidia GeForce 7 based card with NO VENTILATION OF ANY KIND.

Gee. I can see it now. *turns on a PS3*

5 minutes later...

*PS3 has had a neuclear meltdown and must shut down. Please buy a new one and line Mr. Kuturagis pockets some more please*

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I just did a quick read through here and picked up on "the Playstation was always most powerful" or something. that makes me laugh and shows that this person doesn't really follow games.
    N64>PS1
    GC>PS2
    the only time Sony have had better graphics was with the PSP. probably to the tune of "oh hey the DS is coming out with N64 graphics! THIS IS OUR CHANCE PEOPLE!" "b...b..but sir, this will severely reduce battery life!" "ah dunt give a crap soldier! we WILL beat Nintendo for graphics! we MUST!..."

This analyst surprises me. If this next generation consoles was each companies first then the PS3, in theory, would come out at the end. Its running on past glory alone. Why?

-Non unified online service.
    -Super expensive console, game costs.
    -Lack of developer support (something the PS1 and 2 relied upon. as far as i am aware Nintendo have MASSIVE backing with the Revolution because its 1) new technology developers want to play with and 2) the development kits are extremely cheap.)

Its like the whole basis of these consoles are changing. Apart from Xbox, who as its been said in another thread, that wont change because they NEED to make a profit this time. Sony are losing developers fast, Nintendo are gaining them fast.

In theory the PS3 will lose out this time. Xbox has a lot of potential that we're not seeing with launch titles. Nintendo are rising to power again. Look at the DS and PSP. People are loving Nintendo's cheap but innovative game machines. People will blame the DS outselling upon there being a lack of good PSP games, as if Sony losing support isnt evident enough there.

And to the power thing. Developers are now saying there is little difference between the Revolution and its competitors. Hell! The head of that Unreal company said that he might be porting the Unreal 3 engine (or whatever that latest one thats being hyped is) to the Rev too!

I'm just amazed with the responses here. Regardless of what console you like; everything is changing for next generation machines. An analyst here is as useful as. well. nothing.

18. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

I buy game consoles for my children. My son has cerebral palsy and has difficulty with some controllers. If Revolution will require him to hold the remote in his hand, as opposed to setting it on a tray, then it's a no-sale. The movement-sensor technology in the controls would also be wasted, in this case.

19. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

That's a valid point, but I don't think we should ignore Nintendo's risky step in transforming gaming. It may payoff. And besides, the new controllers from Sony and MSFT are not the most user friendly.

I'm not buying into the hype surrounding the 360 right now. Almost all the IT guys at my work are going ape over the 360, but then again they're all a bunch of MSFT hacks to begin with.

For me, what matters is how much I'm paying for some decent, late night, or weekend afternoon entertainment. That's why I'm kind of leaning towards the Revolution although I'm still keeping my options open. No way will I buy a system that has $60, $70, or $80 games. And $400+ for a new system is ridiculous and it shows how much people have lost their sense of what gaming is about.

IMHO, I think gaming has taken a totally wrong direction these past 5-7 years. That's why these "estimated" numbers don't faze me, nor am I concerned if the Xbox may rule the gaming world. I use OS X and it doesn't need mob acceptance to prove that it's the best damn operating system in the world today.

20. belvdr macrumors 601

The super expensive console and game costs seem to be across the board. I remember when I first saw a $50 game and I was caught off guard. Now, it seems $50 is reasonable to most.

The original XBOX had a lot of potential as well. I bought the HD adapter, but nobody ever made a game to support it that I recall. Maybe it was just too much too soon.

I keep going back to the old games that were actually fun to play without a plot, like Pac-Man or Dig Dug. Yeah, they came up with these goofy stories to introduce you to the game, but they were just fun to sit down and play. Now it seems that every game must get as close to reality as possible. Whatever they make, I'll still stick the oldies but goodies.

21. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Nintendo's Rev. will be the cheapest of the three. Both for Nintendo, and for us. Even though Nintendo hasn't stated a price point, its easy to based on the fact that:

1) It won't be the most graphicly advanced
    2) Nintendo is the only one of the three to always make a profit on their systems, they don't suffer from that "Initial loss" that the others to do (You know how you can get a GameCube with a game [sometimes even an extra controller too, depending on where you buy] all for $99USD, well Nintendo is still making $ on that)
    3) Nintendo's consoles have been cheaper than the competition's.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

In your case, that makes absolute, complete sense. You wouldn't want to buy a Revolution for anything but to play the retro games.

But that doesn't mean the controller is "blech".

23. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I think Sony will become complacent at some point and it will go wrong for them. However, Microsoft's Xbox 360 is a little early and has already played its major trump cards from Rare. I hope Revolution (again the most interesting of the 3) does well, but I think Nintendo's probably lost before it's even begun, hence this analyst's rather run-of-the-mill prediction (coupled with numbers plucked from someone's arse, like someone else mentioned).

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Wha-at? Playstation has always been the least powerful console. The PS1 was outgunned by the N64 by quite a bit and the PS2 was otugunned by everyone.

On top of that:
    This was only a week ago. Lower than the competition means lower than $299. Since the GameCube launched at $200 and N64 $250, I'm going to guess something along that line. You'll recall Nintendo posting huge cuts in profits because of lower sales and more R&D costs (Revolution) in this last quarter? If you compare the charts, Nintendo took a big cut in profits, but they were the only one WITH profits. Sony and Microsoft were negative.

Think about this. Sony and Microsoft's last quarters were negative (ALL of Microsoft's were negative, a few others of Sony's were too). Now they're going to spend millions/billions in R&D on these new systems, THEN lose millions more selling them at a loss, and then try to make up the money.

However, we've got some problem here. The jump isn't as big this time; the current generation is smooth 3D, the previous generation was blocky 3d, and the one before that was smooth 2D, and the one before that was blocky 2D. Next generation? Smoother 3D. No change in the controllers. No change in ANYTHING in the games except better graphics, and some multimedia stuff outside of the games.

I've seen many people in stores who feel that they're not going to upgrade for a while because they don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for what feels and plays like what they already have.

Then, there's the fact that in the beginning only the early adopters get the system, so you don't make profits back for a while/

Then, there's the fact that the price to develop a game is dramatically rising with this new generation, and the price of games has risen to $60 for XBox 360 and PS3. Supply and demand; the higher price will attract less buyers.

Throw in little things like the fact that you have to spend $400 on the XBox 360 minimum to get a partially backwards-compatible system, or the high price of the PS3, or the $99 price of the 360's wireless adapter, all of which turns off customers and makes them decide to wait.

All this stacked up makes it harder and harder to make a profit off the consoles. The gaming industry is becoming less profitable IMHO. Nintendo on the other hand are the only ones that have a consistent profit. They only sold the GameCube for a loss for a single quarter (when it first dropped the GC to $99). The Revolution, again, seems to be the only system poised to make a profit.

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i'll buy PS3/360/Rev for the games. I cant stand PS(123P) games or the controls. Most games that are made for PS3 that are good are also made for other systems