PS3 footage...

Discussion in 'Games' started by technocoy, Apr 11, 2006.

1. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xIqWUEpdpY&search=gdc ps3

don't know if you have all seen this or not...

I can't speak for everything but i have a friend who is working on the dragon game and he says thats how it looks even in gameplay...

if this is true, they have my 600.00 without hesitation. THIS is next gen. jesus.

I can't wait for e3. I need more info and assurance that this is what these games will look like.

enjoy

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

From what I was seeing, that was horrendously jerky :p And, tbh, I can't see what's amazing about that

EDIT: OK, there is more than that horrible flight sim, but it's still nothing that makes me go "wow"

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Wow..that is a monster....if this is what sony got in store for me then i'm in....looks like it going to be a good ride...ok im ready to order.

Bless

4. technocoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

technocoy

no joke.... I'm as good as bankrupt if this ships with this power... and I have three friends at different studios... they are ALL saying it looks that good..

if you can't see how those graphics are amazing... I got nuthin for you. Even being on crappy vidcam footage that is nearly pee-pants material.

5. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Think of the extra potential of the rev if it had those graphics.

They are really beautiful graphics. Still though graphics are nothing without gameplay.

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Pretty hard to tell from the poor quality video, but it looks like its coming along nicely :)

7. technocoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

technocoy

the rev will be awesome even without these graphics... but I WILL have both. man. get me some final fantasy or wipeout on this sucker...

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Silent Hill 5, RE5, more horror adventure....oh yes wonderful i must say.

Bless

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Yawn. Not impressed.

1) Remember the pre-PS2 hype? Toy Story in real time, and PS2 as super computers? I'll believe it when it's on the shelf.

2) $600 is to much for a video game console. $400 is too much. I won't even pay $300, I ALWAYS wait for a sub $200 (preferably $150) price drop. It's a toy. $60 is to much for a game. $35 DS games are about the right price.

3) It's nothing that we haven't seen before, albeit on more expensive computer setups, but it's not like were talking about a leap beyond what the best PC games are already doing.

4) The best graphics aren't going to make the game fun. In fact, I tend to think that the amount of resources that gets pumped into high detail models and textures in just energy and resources that usually would have been better spent on game design. Best game I played in 2005? Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. A $30 game (on a $100 console) without a single polygon, bump map, or high res texture.

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Looks like PS3 will be able to handle a massive amount of polygons. Think of all the Katamari Damacy Goodness potential!!! ;)

11. technocoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

technocoy

lol.. i wouldn't even be able to play silent hill anymore... I'm nearly too wigged to play it in the dark now!!! ha ha ha. but yes, a silent hill, shadow of the colossus, god of war, etc with these graphics would be awe inspiring.

IF it turns out to be true.

I will be killing a few friends if they are lying, but i can't imagine why they would be.

lair is the name of the dragon game. and the last part looks wicked too, but i have the feeling THAT is prerendered... the motion blur and stuff is just too nice on that one.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Maybe for you :) My PC can push out those graphics. Is that next gen? :rolleyes:
    I mean all I'm seeing is HDR, high polygons and physics. is that ALL the next gen is to many people? Maybe my PC has spoilt me.

Ditto :) The PS3 could be a really good machine. I just hope they have better games than what the PS2 had. I don't want games that focus on graphics and stuff leaving the gameplay as an unnecessary component. And yes; games consoles are toys. They're a play thing. I wouldn't buy a play thing at anything more than the 360 cost.

Hah, looks like Factor 5 have many friends. I've been in contact with them since the Amiga days. Started off as praise and then turned to chit chat with a few members.

13. technocoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

technocoy

lol... if there is one thing i've learned with games and with animation... it's a small world. once you know someone it just dominoes from there.

I have yet to see any PC game (granted i haven't seen them all) that combines everything into games that looks this awesome.

AND for me. I play many games that will never see the light of day on PC. so I don't care if the PC can spin my feces into fruit loops, unless it plays shadow of the colossus, wipeout, god of war, metal gear, tenchu, onimusha AND all the first person shooters equally, this it's no good to me for games.

I just wish the rev was going to have this level of graphics WITH it's new gameplay. At least i'll be able to get the rev without selling my kidney. I love nintendo, but I'm also a Playstation fan, so I can't really be a fanboy here. I see the appeal of both systems and will hopefully own them both. I can't WAIT for either one... I really think they need to bring back some good HMUs for these consoles.... especially the revolution... good god... I can just imagine me and my sword and shield in zelda with a head mounted display. I'll just get a catheter and an iv. lol.

no matter which system you like, the next few years are going to be exciting times for gamers. I'm willing to bet we see a comeback of HMU's with head tracking in the next few years...

The xBox just doesn't do it for me... and not because it's MS, simply because i don't get the variety that i do on PS and the magic and soul i do on nintendo.

Halo, Mechassault, and maybe three others are the only reason i would own one... and frankly, thats not enough. BUT to each his own, and I can see the appeal of the xBox to many people. It's just not for me.

As if i needed more to distract me after my DS, Gamecube, PS2, WOW, and PSP.... lol. STOP THE INSANITY!!!!!

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I know many of you say you have "friends in studios" but I still find this a bit hard to believe.

Here's why: Sony has said final dev kits are coming June. That means no developer has a final dev kit and are building everything based on projected and theoretical performance.

I have no doubt talented people can make excellent visuals. I've seen this video before with better quality and it is some nice work. But with final dev kits not out this might as well be Advent Children or The Incredibles... fancy visuals and that is it.

There is no way to say these videos are realtime, nor is there a way to prove the engines are running with Sound, Physics, and Input... all of which slow a game down a lot (the main game loop will branch for all of these).

Honestly, I think most people who see this should step back with some common sense and wait until May E3 to hear from people at a live event actually playing a PS3 game or two.

I'm not saying it couldn't be real, I'm just saying it's equally possible it could not be real at this point.

15. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Does anyone else get sound on this vid?

Stunning visuals, that's fer sure.. But $600.. ouch!

I would love to own one, though..

16. technocoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

technocoy

did you read the thread?

I don't think anyone has jumped the gun and set anything in stone. I'm merely passing on information, and even i remain skeptical.

If he says it's as good in gameplay, i would imagine thats using the physics, etc that at this time is supposed to run on final hardware based on the dev kits they currently have. If the final dev kits take that down a notch, i guess we'll all find out in a month or so.

We are all having fun here, and thats what it's about.

I like making new friends on the board, but it might also be appreciated that you not jump into a thread and insinuate those of us with "friends in studios" are some kind of secret sony faction attempting to spread propoganda for the man. lol.

But I agree totally, as I think we have expressed several times in the thread, that i need more input after E3 before i can make final judgement.

I still can't wait though. It's going to be exciting.

17. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

And, according to Sony, even that happening is unlikely :eek: We're apparently going to get another PSP, or even worse :eek:

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

GamesAreFun.com had SMOOTH footage of all of that stuff...

19. technocoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

technocoy

that would suck.. I thought they had already confirmed two playable demos?

it was two form the demo at last years E3... i think maybe it was the one with the giant bugs in like WW2 era settings?

anyway.. for sony's sake, there NEEDS to be several playable demos at E3.. the hype is nearly overwhelming at this point...

20. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yes.

My post did not say anyone had done something they hadn't. For others coming to the thread, however, I thought it good to point out the possible reasons this could indeed be hype. Better to have someone expecting less and getting more then expecting more and getting less I say.

A final dev kit would (or at least should) be pretty much an actual PS3. Other dev kits may not even have a Cell processor, they could be a dual core P4 with quad-SLI 7900GTX graphics... not that they are, I'm just saying that a dev kit is not necessarily using the same hardware found in the final machine. At least one of the 360 dev kits were actually G5s, iirc. That's why final is such a key word.

You may have taken my post as such but in fact I never said such a thing. I have "friends in studios" as well (although none are working on PS3 as far as I know) and at least one of them would have no idea what hardware anything was actually running, that isn't his department.

Besides, developers get messed over at times too... and some studios work on games without dev kits for a long time. So in that respect I'm just saying, dev kits are designed to show theoretical performance but there are so many factors and guesswork that can be involved that even a developer doesn't have a clear picture until they get final kits.

21. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I'm just gonna keep my opinions to myself until E3 when the Revolution will be introduced (as in playable) and the PS3.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly. I doubt the OP knows industry people, at least high level developers like Factor 5. I've worked in several commercial studios, well, freelanced. And I've got contacts and that. I, and even they can't stand when people say "oh, my friends brothers poodle works for X company and I know X thing that you didn't" and it's blatantly a lie, or just sounds it.
    Heck, I'm sort of in the industry myself. As soon as my little university dev team get a Revolution kit we're good to go!

23. technocoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

technocoy

i'll give you that... In fact, I believe that my friend at activision said the box she saw actually did have quad SLI cards... lol. She also said the box is HUGE. Of course if the thing really does have seven cores or however many, i can't imagine it not staking up to at least a dual core P4. the graphics we'll have to wait and see, but the physics SHOULD be outstanding.

I'll take it as a misunderstanding from me on the friends part. The way it was presented made it seem as though it was a sarcastic, so thanks for clearing that up.

But yes, you're other points i agree on. I can't imagine that sony would keep pushing this imagery for this long if they can't deliver at least 90% on it. Of course, this is SONY we're talking about... one of the biggest hype machines in teh industry... Of course, they have pretty much delivered on the PSP platform, if only more developers would get on board. until then, i play my DS quite a bit more than my PSP.

who ever said i knew X that you didn't? I presented the facts I have from the person I know.

as far as i know, hundreds of people have the same info, I never implied anything more. I simply wanted to share what I heard, from my friends who do, in fact work in the business, most of them in subs of activision and ubi soft/red storm whatever it might be this week.

I love when people say "i've worked in several studios myself... I've got contacts"

your word is no better than mine, ragged.

24. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

That is funny regarding the quad SLI, haha. Hardware capabilities, though, usually do little by themselves. What I mean by that is that a developer's abilities to get the hardware to actually do what it is capable of is what ultimately determines what we get.

Look at first gen PS1 games compared to the last generation. Look at PS2's Dark Cloud compared to the PS2 version of Resident Evil 4.

Point being that a familiar platform like a P4 system is vastly different from a Cell. So even if a developer is designing according to what a PS3 really has the potential to do once they get final kits it could take so long to get to that level on a new architecture that the final result looks far inferior.

I don't believe anything we've seen on 360 is close to what it's capable of. No doubt if PS2/GameCube/Xbox had been given another five years we'd probably see even better stuff then is currently available on the systems.

Well, the PS2 definitely did not meet the hype and visual fidelity Sony said it would and demonstrated at pre-launch press events (including E3).... so it wouldn't be the first time. :)

25. FANBOY2U macrumors newbie

Why so many PS3 haters? Just because it looks good using an underpowered PS3 dev kit, thats no reason to get scared. The PC people are trying to defend PC games lol. Sorry guys, PC is going to get owned by PS3 and 360, but PC will come back and beat them...for the price of $600 every 8 months, thats how many times you guys have to update your video cards right?
    Anywho, go console gaming!
    ;) ;) ;)