PS3 Game Prices: 74.99!!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kalns, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/dept.asp?logon=&langid=EN&catid=24334

That....is....insane.

Seriously, who is going to buy this thing with these ridiculous prices? Just for the system, two games and an extra controller you're looking at over 800 dollars! I'm glad I didn't wait.

EDIT: OOPS, apparently that's the canadian Price. I saw the link on a different site and didn't realize it was Canadian until just now. Still though, considering the difference between 360 games and PS3 games it looks like you're still looking at 70.00 in the the US. Still way too much.

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

3. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

I will probably buy 2 just so I can make a profit off of them. Alot of people do that now. It's amazing how many people will buy these consoles for so much more than they are selling for at the store though. Supply and demand baby. I don't see how anyone can actually afford to play that. For the gas to get there, paying for the console and two games you are going to pay close to $2300.00. Just kidding.;)

4. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

for all that money ($600 for the console+extra controllers+at least 2 games+other stuff you think you need but probably don't) you could easily get up over $1000. You could get a macbook for that much. The PS3 better have AMAZING graphics, you know, it better be a real next gen console for the hefty price tag. And i don't know about anyone else, but if i bought a PS3 (which i probably won't until the price goes down alot), i could only afford 2, maybe 3 games in 6 months to a years time. They would have to have massive games with tons of stuff to do for the games to last me that long...

5. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I have that coming out to about $66 in the US. That is entirely too much money to spend on a video game.

And as for the comments about the PS3 being a next generation console... the fact that they've had to copy things from other developers, the main one coming to mind being the motion sensor in the controllers from Nintendo, lets you know for sure that Sony's just flying by the seat of its pants.

I haven't had a console since Dreamcast and I don't really care about these "ground-breaking" graphics (I think it's a load of crap: I saw a commercial for a football game, which I think was for 360, which had the choppiest, stupidest-looking graphics I've ever seen). Therefore, in my opinion, a Wii for $250, games under $50, and a truly innovative gaming experience with that controller means that Nintendo will be getting some moolah from me and quite a few other consumers.

That's my two cents.

Daniel.

6. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I have thought about the Wii, and am rather torn over whether to buy it or not. I have owned a Super Nintendo and an N64 and loved both of them, and had no problems with them, but in all the comparison tests, the Wii just looks so lackluster next to the 360 and PS3. I think the controller is a cool idea, but would like a regular controller to fall back on for certain games. I also really wish that Nintendo would get more mature games, specifically get Rockstar to start making games for their consoles. I like Mario games and stuff, but i don't know if i could handle a console without GTA...

7. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

with prices like those, i think we can expect the hacker community to go thru some extensive lengthes to break sony's security and get some nice pirated games for us on the net

8. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

The Wii may not have the processing power but go look at some of the games for 360 and PS3 on a non-HD monitor. They aren't as impressive if you don't have an HDTV. Disclaimer: I'm intentionally not going to say anything about prices of other consoles as some people have been uptight about MR members pointing out a certain console manufacturer's ongoing bad press.

As far as adult games go, the Gamecube had Resident Evil 4 (Gamespot's game of the year last year) and Metal Gear Solid both which you can pick up for under $20 and play on the Wii. Also, Call of Duty 3 and the Godfather are launch titles for the Wii. These combined with the usual Mario, Zelda, Metroid fare, the virtual console, DVD playback, and a Wifi Internet Browser, oh yeah and the new controller ;) should be enough for many to plunk down their $200. (The console is supposed to be below $250 but it may only be $200..)

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Here in NZ all the PS3 games are $130, which is substantially more expensive than the 360 games (most expensive I could find was $110, many were under $100).

10. okwhatev macrumors 6502

I totally agree with the 'buy 2' idea. Simply buy 2 PS3 consoles however means you can figure out, then simply sell one of them on ebay the next day. You'll easily fetch twice what you paid, therefore getting your personal PS3 absoutely free! ;)

Who knows, maybe you'll have enough left over to buy a couple games for yourself too!

11. mkaake macrumors 65816

I'm a cheapskate... I've never bought a game new that cost more than $20...

:eek:

Used is the way to go. I guess I just don't put that high a value on entertainment...

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That only works when a system sells out, which has only happened twice in the UK, low and behold to systems that never had huge stock to begin with! If the PS3's low yield with Cell and BluRay is true then we can forget the global launch, or have extremely limited numbers of consoles worldwide. If that is the case then I'll be going scalping too, should make a fortune!

I expect the games to be extremely expensive, though by that I mean a pinch more than 360 games. Why? look at it realistically

-The PS3 itself is being sold at a loss.
    -Sony plan on having a free online service.
    -Profits are made in 3 sectors for a game console - console, games, online subscription. Games are the only thing left. So don't expect them to be cheap. Unless Sony are willing to take a massive hit in the profits (wouldn't surprise me).

Plus the discs are a new format, which normally attracts a premium.
    360 game in a shop now costs £50 ($92.02) which is way too much for many already. Would Americans here be happy paying $92 for a game? PS3 will be more using "Sony style" UK inflation. ho hum :(

13. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

$60 is too much for a single game, IMO.

Part of me thinks that's a big factor in the PSP's inability to trump the DS. Another factor would be that 99% of the games out for the PSP suck majorly.

$30-$50 is the sweet spot for game prices, IMO. A lot of DS games are set at $35, which is too much.

I must be getting stingy in my old age.

14. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

I Don't.
    I find disgusting the idea of making somebody pay more for the same item i got from the store, therefore making a profit out of nothing.

About the price of the games: if you look at all the games, they carry the same price tag of 59.99 USD. They even list games whose name hasn't even been finalized yet!
    That makes me think that the price is just an estimation and not the real price of the game. At best buy they probably think that 59.99 will be the maximum price they will sell a ps3 game at.

And if that is true, the price seems just about right for a next generation console launch.

15. darkwing macrumors 65816

Even if they were $80, so what? People will buy it or not, and the market will punish or reward Sony. Still, I remember 12 year old me going to buy Final Fantasy 2 US at my local video game store and counting up my pennies to pay $73... and FF3 US was $83.... so after inflation, $80 for a game today isn't half bad! :)

(dollar amounts were after tax)

16. slaight macrumors newbie

slaight

thats aloottt o money

if u wanted to get lots an lots o games you'd have 2 be rich. think about it, if you want to buy 4 games with each being 70.00 US$, and a 599 ps3, youd spend 879 US$:confused: :( THATS ALOT just for a system with the name PLAYstation/ they should call the all in one, theyd get more money.

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Sorry, but I find it funny when people bitch about how much a game costs. Games have cost $60 since the NES. It's nothing new. It's a price point the industry has stayed at for TWO DECADES now.

Pricey? Perhaps, but it's been like this for years, no surprises here.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Years? I haven't seen a $60 title this console generation, excepting special editions and titles with bundled hardware (like DK bongos).

19. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I must be hella lucky, then, because most first-rate new releases around here run $50 for a console game.

20. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Agreed. I've been buying games since the Atari days and $50 not $60 is the usual price of games except for bundled and special edition games. It has NOT been $60 for years.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I must be lucky too, I pay half the price of 360 games for my current systems (Xbox, GC and DS).
    Infact, this generation rarely had games approaching £40. the 360 has come along and pushed that to £50, the PS3 aims to continue this tradition, Nintendo are keeping with their "sell em cheap" method.

22. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

That's the price I pay for PS2 games.:eek: :mad: That's why i no longer play PS2;)

23. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

that'll happen no doubt.