PS3 Graphics in 1 year

Discussion in 'Games' started by tim2006, Feb 3, 2007.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

I have read articles about PS3 untapped potential. In a year will the PS3 have much better graphics than now. Will the PS3 graphics be that much different than the 360. Last gen there was a difference between the xbox and ps2 will the graphical difference be as big this gen.

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Wait a year and find out. I don't think anyone here can accurately tell you anything.

Do you purposely post things that can ignite flame wars?

Ed

3. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I was once given this as an xbox/ps3 argument for ps3. The other party said that GoW is the bst xbox will ever get. Do the PS3's specs really have that much of a greater advantage against the xbox's? I feel both consoles have more potential but this gen neded revolution (Wii) and thats why the wii is performing so well, its in a league of its own!

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

no, because in a year people still won't know how to program as good as possible for the PS3 while they will know the 360 even better so 360 games will still have the edge.

And even if it was equal, money says the games would look the ~same on both.

5. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

There's that combined with the fact that Xbox360 is a year older, so it may be less powerful than the PS3. So who knows?

I'd say the difference will be less than PS2 vs. Xbox...but probably PS3 will have a slight edge.

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

In many ways the 360 is more powerful, the only part where it's not equal or superior is raw CPU (real-life, however, is another matter still to be seen). The thing with it being a year older is that the programmers for the 360 will always be one year ahead in learning how to use the kit.

7. AdamL macrumors member

Graphics will most likely get better for PS2. I can't say much for X-Box, I only owned one for a little while. But if you look at an early game for PS2 I would imagine the newer games are much better graphic wise. I notice this in Madden games since I am a big fan.

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

It took developers several years to figure out the PS2, before games looked good on that system. So the PS3 will definately need some time, more than a year. Sony isn't synonymous with ease-of-use when it comes to their SDKs.

<]=)

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Every year will see a marked improvement in graphics from title to title - on *All* consoles.

Look at RE4 on GameCube... developers squeeze stuff out of a system for a long long time.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Exactly. It's rare for a launch or even a "first gen" title to have jaw dropping GFX (Soul Caliber for the DC is one of the few examples I can think of).

Lethal

11. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

The Metal Gear Solid 4 trailers are a good indication of what we'll get late this year (one year after the ps3 launch).

And if God of War 2 is an indication of how much graphics can progress... except to see some rather jaw dropping games (visually) 4-6 years from now...

12. FullCollapse macrumors regular

the visuals for all three consoles will get better as they age. ps3 and the wii were just released very recently. the graphical potential of both these consoles remains largely untapped. if i had to guess i would say the ps3 will have the best graphics overall. games however, is a different story.

13. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Graphics will always be better if developers have more time to work with a system. Well, that's the ideal anyway....

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Unless the trailers are made from in game gfx I don't see how they are a good indication of things to come.

Lethal

15. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Will anyone ever know if you're asking a question or not, due to your lack of question marks. Are you just making a gramatically incorrect statement. Or is your "?" key broken. Or maybe your SHIFT key. Was that sentence even a question. Or that one. Or any of the above.

/end rant.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The GPU is the 360 is in theory better than the GPU in the PS3
    The CPU in the PS3 is in theory better than the CPU in the 360

One balances out the other and the differences in games, now or in the future will be negligable. Both will undoubtably improve over time, but don't expect any major difference between both formats.

17. bwanac macrumors regular

They will all improve.

PS3 may have an edge on 360, but I do not think it will be the same PS2 versus Xbox. As they all get better, the slight differences will become less and less obvious and art style will take over for technical superiority.

Wii I am hoping improves to a little beyond xbox level. It has had some shining moments in some games, but nothing complete yet. Once companies stopping porting games over using the PS2 engines, Wii games will hopefully look much better. But I am not concerned.

18. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

don't forget how amazing SplinterCell Chaos Theory on the orignial xbox and that was toward the end of the xbox's lifecycle and it was pretty impressive how GRAW looked on it as well

19. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I actually thought Burnout Revenge for Xbox was amazing visually as well. I think I recall reviews calling it "next-gen graphics - now" or something.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Speaking of developers make the most out of a system... It seems to me that Sony keeps making not very "developer friendly" systems so it takes longer for devs to really be able "unlock" the potential of the consoles.

Lethal