PS3 Hands ON! *PSM3*

Discussion in 'Games' started by AlmightyG5, Oct 2, 2006.

1. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

First ever true hands-on video. they promise more to come...sweeeet.

PSM3 Site: http://www.psm3mag.com/page/psm3?entry=ps3_power_up_pics_and

YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TUXcaEeoUo

Site is lagging from hit overload. Press X (stop) in safari to load page sometimes...

Some more details of the brute in action:
    1) It's quiet like a sleeping baby. A barely audible hum. With the TV on you simply can't hear it at all.
    2) It's heavy like a planet. No, really. It's impossible to pick up with one hand.
    3) It's shiny like a mirror. In fact, it's impossible to take a photograph of it without the flash spanging every picture into a starburst mess. And therefore it's massively prone to fingerprintage too, with the tiny amount of dust in the office magically attaching itself to its surface in seconds.
    4) The PS3 joypad is very light and the tilt system is very responsive. We like.
    5) The start up is amazingly fast. And game load times were faster than expected. In fact, PS3 does both at about the same speed of PSP. ie, Long load times due to the massive Blu-ray disc? Nope. Simply not an issue.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

interesting mr.bond

I watched the video but what confused me was

5) The start up is amazingly fast. And game load times were faster than expected. In fact, PS3 does both at about the same speed of PSP. ie, Long load times due to the massive Blu-ray disc? Nope. Simply not an issue.

Doesnt read quite right does it ? If its like the psp load times wise, then heaven help us all as they are fairly slow.

Oh well, wont be getting one for another 5 months anyway

3. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, first we have to realize that their PS3 is a Pre-release Demo unit, and second The HD will be able to cache laoding times of games...so we will see very fast loads when the final system is released.

4. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

It's cool, I won't be getting it at launch though

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

going on the amount of consoles available, the majority of potential ps3 gamers wont be getting one at launch either ;) :D

With only 6 weeks left to launch I hope that PS3 is at least finished. I keep my fingers crossed for fast load times, xbox 360 has been alright in fairness, so if it matches or better's it - then I'll be very happy with it.

7. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I think you should let the info above stand on its own rather than make excuses for the PS3. These things are/should be in production right now, so I think the argument "wait for the final system" is rather moot.

These pretty much are final systems at this point.

Nice to see some good news for the PS3.

8. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does the YouTube Video show up for you guys in the First Post?

9. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Yessiree.

10. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

assuming that the youtube video is the same as the initally posted one then i can't see how it gives any indication of the load times for games. i don't want to see people faffing with a blue screen. i want to see how long it takes from turning the thing on to getting to play the game. something which isn't shown i might add. all it shows is that there is at least one out of the factory.

11. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes...the PS3 XMB is the exact same as the PSP, so say Motorstorm was in the drive when the PS3 was turned on...There would be no wait at the main menu where you would have to manually select the game...instead it automatically boots up. So the way they did it was intentional to show the Interface a little. I really hope they show some longer videos of the XMB in action and gameplay.

12. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Um, and what makes you think that loading to the HDD is faster than loading to the RAM...?

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

wow, after i just posted a day or so ago that i wanted to see an actual unit in action.. hmm ask and ye shall recieve I suppose :D

The fingerprints suck big time (the PSP unite does the same thing) but since it will be tucked away I really don't care all that much. If it is as quiet as the TC is making it out to be, it will already be better than my 360 in the movie department (damn thing is too loud for watching quiet moves :mad:) but as MRU has said before, if the interface is anything like the PS2's for navigating DVD's I will snap.

The startup is kinda rad, sounds kinda classy, makes it seem more like a 600$ f***ing piece of hardware for big boys, not a little toy for kids. The chrome trim is still :p though

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Am I the only person a little "hmm"ing about that long black screen? Was that just to get to the loading screen or whatever? I couldn't see that well :)

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Interesting but looks good for Sony. They should keep the good things coming until launch..bring the fire back into it.

Liking the start up times if thats the real.

Bless

16. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Boot time seems about the same as the 360. I don't care how loud the system is. I've got my surround sound cranked up when I play video games so let the fans spin, as long as they keep the system cool.

Didn't Sony learn about shiney plastic with the PSP?? I guess not. Cosmetically, that was my biggest complaint with the PSP, trying to clean the damn thing. I know its a console but that just means that it will gather dust and look just as dirty.

I still find it amusing that Sony didn't bother creating a new system interface for the PS3. Its fine on a handheld system but I can see myself going through hundreds of icons to find the settings for a system with the PS3's (supposed) capibilities.

For example: I want to see a video of the audio and video settings. There should be a ton of these and I really don't see the menu system working well for this.

All of this said, I'm still not wasting $600 on another Sony system.

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, it wouldn't provide any benefit on the launch of a game, but the optical drive could continuously spin and load things into a cache on the HDD which is faster reading than an optical drive (Blu-Ray and HD-DVD included).

18. AlmightyG5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea...the HD is faster than the BD-Rom drive...so obviously that would mean faster loads if cached to the HD. Ken Kuteragi talked about this at e3, how the HD standard will help game loading times. Which is always a plus.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I know what you mean. They came up with this menu for their PSX Japanese console and hey hey, just like the Dual Shock controller it's back yet again! I'm all for keeping with traditional methods but a bit of imagination wouldn't go amiss. Anyways - I found this floating around the web

I don't fully agree with it but it does make some good points.

20. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

lol consoles are kiddies toys...

I want to plug your PS3 into my 30" screen and see how it runs on the native rez

kiddies toys

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Kiddy toys are relative to graphics resolution? I hope I can get money back for my PowerBook! Apple flogging me a kids toy... I HATE YOU APPLE

22. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

no, but my PC runs stuff fine on that screen...

PC for gaming
    Mac for everything else

Consoles do not fit anywhere

unless you are like...10 years old

oh by the way i am NOT calling the screen a kiddies toy

<3 that screen

lucky it was free :D

23. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yet there were Xbox games that did not have good load times (even Halo wasn't that great), so an HDD may help, but it doesn't mean developers will take advantage of it as well as they could, and it certaintly won't make load times great.

A lot of PC games have horrid load times (Far Cry anyone?), and the entire game is already ON the HDD.

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's not the release controller is it? I hope not. I HATE those controllers. I'm 6'6" and those controllers feel like they are built for children (or asians, go figure). I thought the PS3 would have fancy-schmancy new controllers?

25. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

rather than start a new thread

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/736/736936p1.html

some peripherals were shown and priced (in Japan)

~$12.75US for the memory card to USB cable

~$30.60US for the remote control

~$42.50US for an additional controller.

Thats just taking the listed yen price and converting it to yankee dollars. So probably $14.99, $34.99 and $49.99 for them? I would be happy if the memory card thing was under 20 bucks cdn

and the controller is named Six Axis (wasn't it already?) Kind of a lame name to moi but meh, its just a controller....