PS3 - impressions after 1 hour

Discussion in 'Games' started by Shacklebolt, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Huh... this is an interesting one.

The PS3 looks awfully nice - but the 360 is undoubtedly more utilitarian. Fingerprints, etc are going to abound on the shiny surface. That said, it looks very, very impressive.

The cables the PS3 comes with are chit. I mean, total bs. No component cables, no HDMI cable. Just the standard AV cable. They don't even make a PS3 component cable yet, so right away, for hi-def content you gotta drop the cash for an HDMI cable. That and, HDMI to DVI means, no sound. However, the way they get the sound to run from the standard PS3 out is pretty easy actually, so I'm fine with that.

Firstly, Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD. Can not tell the difference. Both look fine, both sound fine. However, did anyone notice that Blu-Ray discs actually cost more than HD-DVDs? The Transporter 2 at Best Buy was 35 freaking dollars. Gross. I haven't found an HD-DVD yet that's more than 25. So that could be a thing.

Interface: My friend noted that the interface was very Japanese in style, and to tell the truth, I kind of like it. Feels somehow... more solid than the 360s, if that makes any sense.

The controller: I mean, seriously. The sixaxis (which is the lamest name ever) weighs nothing. I mean.... c'mon, make it feel a little more controller-like.

Graphics - GoW vs. R:FoM: Firstly, I loved Gears of War. It's dialogue is cheesy macho stuff, which is great; it's intense, and it's very, very fun, and the graphics are quite good. But R:FoM's graphics are somewhere in the vacinity of "insane" - that And I actually liked the controls more than I thought I was going to. The joysticks aren't bad at all. I still think GoW is more fun, and more innovative in terms of your interaction with the enviornment (you don't open doors - you kick 'em open! You don't take cover behind a wall - you SLAM into the wall to take cover) - but FoM is a great indication of what the PS3 is capable of. The frame rate is so high.

Someone mentioned before, "Most people say that 360 has better games now, to which I say so what?" I'm sorry, but having better games now IS a thing. Plus, I'm not a Viva Pinata person, but I like the idea that the 360 is branching out in terms of content. XBox games have more appeal to me than PS2 games (but actually, that's just a personal thing), but that was mainly because of multiplayer options. So we'll see how the PS3 does.

Btw, the PS3 is much, much quieter than the 360. So there you go.

I don't know if the PS3 is going to catch up with the 360. The PS2 cost half as much as the PS3, and although it comes with the Blu-ray player - let's face it: some people just aren't going to care. It's nice to have the option to get it without and save 200 bucks.

Believe it or not, I see these systems being able to coexist. I really do - but hey, what do I know.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nice review, and they will co-exist whether people like it or not ;) Neither are going anywhere.

Shame they dont through in a nice cable, but I have a spare HDMI cable so I'm not too bothered.

3. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

you have not done your homework.........I own some Monster Component cables made SPECIFICALLY for PS3.
    They were expensive(like $60 - they are made by monster), but you can get HDMI for cheaper(like $17USD)
    Also - If you can afford a PS3, and you can afford an HDTV, how you gonna bitch about the price of a $20 HD cable? *seriously joking* ;)

Other than that....I'm glad you enjoyed it. I also think they will both succeed this gen.
    Making this the only time 3 companies have ever competed "head to head" (I know opinions vary on this) in not one, but TWO generations of gaming without one of these said companies "failing."

The games will arrive.....soon.

4. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Sorry, I meant Sony doesn't make component cables for the PS3, which is kind of silly; they don't make HD cables for their own hardware.

As for complaining about dough (and i know you were joking), I'm kind of jewey (I can say that cause i'm jewish) when it comes to saving dough. I told the story before about how I haggled a $2.75 discount off my 800 dollar purchase at Best Buy (5% off the extra controller. Woo!).

5. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

Maybe next year the Ps3 will be in the same stage the 360 is at now. It will take a lot to catch up to the 360

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Nice review. I got my PS3 this week and I don't regret the purchase. The machine is built well and even though the games are not there yet its still a blast to do other stuff with it. the machine will get better with age...just as the 360 did.

Bless

7. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

We'll see - now I just need my TV to get here.

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Didn't the PS2 come out a year after the first Dreamcast? :) *i kid*

Don't buy Fight Night, it's crap. The best part is the box states "film" quality grpahics, when in fact the game has "phlegm" quality graphics.

I've only played my friend's PS3, but overall I was pretty impressed. It has new console issues, which is expected, but it didn't leave a sour taste in my mouth like the PS2 did when it was first released.

The controller is definately way too light. I like the fact that they're rechargble and that the USB connector provides power for them.

I only played R:FoM for about a half hour, but the controls ruined it for me. On the other hand, my friend doesn't mind this form of hand contortion. I'm used to my PC for FPS games, so graphically it's like every other FPS I've played, but on a 62" plasma. :)

I would get a PS3 for Gran Turismo HD alone. I also like the fact that newer games are supposedly supporting its mouse and keyboard option.

<]=)

9. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I thought Ps2 component cables worked with the Ps3...? :confused:
    (Or maybe I'm just too tired this morning to even remember. :D)

Either way it is absurd they don't throw in at least an s-video cable with a $600 system; I hear their excuses ("most people use composite connections" quote Sony) but considering that the console's major selling point is HD, why not throw in some HD compatible cables? /shrug

10. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Yes the PS2 cables work with the PS3, they kept the same conector.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's cool I have a set of PS2 component cables. I can use them if I wish to connect to my HD projector.

Anyone know if I got the 20gb version, what WiFi USB adapter actually works with the PS3 ? I read way back before it was released any would, but find that unlikely due to lack of drivers.

I dont need 60gb of HD space, 20 is more than enough for me, and memory slot reader is a non issue too.
    So it's only wifi that would make me pay the extra, but if I can use a usb dongle it would save me money as I have a couple of spare 54g USB adapters regardless.

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Interesting review.

As far as HDMI cables, you should try www.monoprice.com. I purchased a set of HDMI and HDMI to DVI cables for my PS3 there and both are excellent quality and cheap.

I don't get the complaints associated with the A/V cable. Maybe it's just me, but I've never purchased a piece of A/V equipment that came with the right cables for my television (whether it's component, hdmi or s-video). Although props to Microsoft for shipping component cables with the premium 360, at least it was HD-ready out of the box. Unfortunately, I had to shell out for the 360's VGA cable.

Either case, I'm looking forward to the PS3's major firmware update in March. Just like the 360 was intially, the PS3 is just not quite ready for primetime.

By the way, Blu-ray discs at Amazon are practically the same as HD-DVD. In some cases (Superman Returns) are even quite a bit cheaper.

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You would have to use a wireless bridge of some kind, to my knowledge it doesnt support any of the usb dongles.

Monoprice is awesome for cables, i got my HDMI from Fry's for $17, works fine :)

I am hoping that the March update fixes the upscaling issue. Maybe i can play a 480i PS2 game without massive jaggies. Sony Japan has acknowledged the issue and said they are working on an update, but they gave no time frame on when it would be released.

Ed

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Interesting. I just got a 360 and was a bit perturbed by how load the disc spinning in it is.

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

:rolleyes: Geez, MRU, got enough spare stuff lying around.

(I kid, I collect AV cables too. Comes in real handy)

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LMAO.. You should see my boxes of cables and controllers and misc gubbins. Its really quite scary :D

But there is always the time when you need that cable or adapter. ;) That's what I tell myself anyway. :)

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

can I have the HDMI cable old pal? :D

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

That and it's always fun to figure out some oddball way of hooking up one component to another component. I've only got one or two boxes of cables, so they're not too bad.