PS3 in better position than bloggers say...

Discussion in 'Games' started by XNine, Jul 27, 2006.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33303

10,000 devkits is quite a bit. The developer in the article stated that the 360 didn't have devkits ready for the E3 before launch, and the PS3 did. Quite the turn-around from what all of these FUD reports going on around the net are saying.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

While I, like you, yearn for some positive news about the PS3... I hate to say that I completely agree with:

But it's safe to say it'll equal at least a sale of 2 units, one for you, and one for me. :)

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

WOW That must come as a real welcome relief to the bods at Sony ;)

:D :D :D

Or from the same article

Just to put a balanced perspective on things :eek:

4. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I think they are anticipating more than will happen. I am a Playstation fan and supporter and REALLY want this to succeed. But I am also a gamer, and while 600 dollars seems fair for us gamers, the average consumer will not think this is a great deal. I want a playstation wii60

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

about time Sony had some good news. Interestingly, there isn't 10,000 studios with PS3's. and that article doesn't point out there is actually 600 studios with kits. still a huge number though!

I'm very interested to find out how many Wii dev kits are out there. and 360 just for comparison sake.

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

I do hope the PS3 does well... 3 console makers is a good number.

Though I thought the article was pretty funny, in and of itself... I mean, you can read this part:

And then you get to this part:

:D

7. MS bulldog macrumors regular

there's a reliable source:rolleyes:

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Make it 3:) ......Any positive coming to light is great.

Bless

9. sixstorm macrumors regular

Sony needs to lower their prices way down, at least to compete with the 360. $500+ is just too much for a gaming console, let alone a crappy video quality DVD player (Blu-Ray).

10. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Just curious, how do you know the quality of the blu-ray player when not one PS3 has even been to market yet?

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

12. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, my guess is that it won't be able to do anything beyond 1920x1080! ;)

Of course... what films even support that? I thought only Superman Returns and Apacolypto so far were the only films shot in "true hd", and at a horrific price (for the camera's).

13. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

1080p doesn't look that much better than 720p at normal viewing distance. Once you go beyond 720p you need to start upgrading our eyes before anything else.

Anyway, I think the PS3 will do decently. However, if someone else tried to pull this off they would probably fail no matter how much money they have. I think the Playstation brand is helping here.

14. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Oh good lord! If I had a dime for everytime I've heard this on a forum...

HD is not some magical resolution ceiling as the name suggests. 35mm film, which has no fixed resolution anyway, can be scanned up to 6000 lines of resolution and even then you might not squeeze every single silver halide of detail. Hell 16mm can hold more detail than HD's resolution depending on the stock of course. This may blow your mind, but the original negative of Citizen Kane holds more picture detail than Superman Returns, Star Wars 2-3, Miami Vice, etc etc.

The "high" in HD is relative to NTSC/PAL resolution.

15. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I hope for their sake the launch wont end up like the PSP console.

All the stores I went to on the launch day had PILES of them. No one was buying them.

16. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I really hope blu-ray succeeds. At least for the sake of the console. I saw one in best buy the other day and it was actually pretty incredible when compared with standard definition. It looked the same as HD-DVD to me. They just need to drop the prices a little bit.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah this is a big gamble. If blu ray doesnt succeed then that could be the nail in the coffin for an early funeral for the ps3.

18. ifjake macrumors 6502a

while price and low chip yeilds will most likely lend to a slow start, it does appear that the PS3 is the superior machine, albiet presently the most awkward. there's a good likelyhood of some quality stuff coming from that thing. i'm not so quick to write it off.

that said, given my current income, the Wii looks like the one i'm most likely to buy, if any. and secretly i'm still addicted to metroid, carried over from a stint 2 years back.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I still have 3 words for the PS3.
    CD-i, 3D0 and Saturn.

20. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

But you know, how easy it is to use the system from a development perspective is really important.

I think of vehicles. If you follow cars much, or even just watch shows like Top Gear you will notice that there are plenty of cars that are busting with amazing power in paper, but due to the way the car is designed you can't actually take advantage of it. A car that can go 200mph could lose to a car that can only do 150mph in a race simply because the more powerful car doesn't handle well and can't stay on the road.

This could be a problem for PS3 as well, it could be 4X as powerful as a 360 (although it's likely, at best, 1.25X) and still under-perform in comparison if developers have a hard time taking advantage of it.

21. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

People seem to be forgeting that Gamers wont be the only ones purchasing or interested in purchasing a ps3. The wii has one sales point gaming only gamers will buy it and I dare say 80% of them will be nintendo fan boys
    were as ps3 will probably be purchased mostly by people wanting a cheap blu-ray solution or a media center. Or maybe they dont have a ps2 and can actually see that buying the ps3 will mean a good long term desicion.

22. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

That's a pretty good analogy. I hope that developers can harness this power and still "keep it under control"

23. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I see similarities with the PS3 and the Saturn...sorta. But the CD-i and 3DO are in a completely different boat. They were consoles made by companies that didn't have a reputation in the industy at all, and quite frankly didn't have great games to justify their prices. And plus, there were no CD-i fanboys back then.

Similarities with the Saturn can be justified. The Saturn was more expensive than the PS1 and didn't do a whole lot Sony's machine couldn't. Kinda like ps3/360. At the same time, Sega's reputation wasn't tarnished after the genesis and 32x were left for dead in 96. Sony still supports PS2 to this day and shows no signs of slowing down. Hell they were making PS1s until recently.

In my opinion, whatever success - or lack thereof - the PS3 has, will be its very own example. You really can't relate anything to it.

24. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

and if I had a dime for every time I herd THAT!
    look mr Hey we can scan at 6000 lines they NEVER scan at 6000 lines they usually scan at 2k at most and after looking at the usable area it actually turns out lower than HD. 4k is usually used for visual effects only
    I've seen superman returns on imax and the detail and color is amazing
    Don't be so quick to discount HD just listen to what robert rodreguez and micheal man have to say, or even brian singer and tom segal who said it's as good as shooting 65 mm. Same detail but a little cleaner

25. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I disagree. It will only be gamers and perhaps several techniphile HD tv owners purchasing the PS3. If it's selling at 600 dollars, this machine will remain a niche product. Yes it will be a "cheap" blu-ray player relative to other players on the market, but until those prices go down, blu-ray and HD-DVD will remain a niche in itself. Therefore the Blu-ray "trojan horse" is only a niche within a niche.

Another problem with your prediction is in the name Playstation. While gamers and other techy people know what other things it can do besides play games, others will just see it as yet another video game console. A video console that is being sold in the videogame section at your local Target/Walmart, etc. The Wii on the other hand KNOWS it is a video games console and will market it that way. It will try to market itself to those who don't really play video games. Whether or not they can expand into this market is anyone's guess. The DS might be a glimpse at what success awaits the Wii, but you never know.