PS3 in europe: 499-599 €

Discussion in 'Games' started by takao, Apr 5, 2006.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

linky
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8801

(in french)
    http://www.playfrance.com/news/ps3-...ation-3-dans-la-fourchette-des-500-euros.html

said by George Fornay, vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe and president of Sony Computer Entertainment France

looks like europe will get straight 1 dollar - 1 euro conversions again (for my fellow americans there is a conversion of it into dollar on the gamasutra link: 612 - 738 $ ...)

seriosuly i had hoped hat they could drop the price somehow to 399 (489 $) but "between 499 and 599" ... seriously no matter what you turn it, that's simply to much for the rather weak console market over here (1/3 of consoles sold per capita in continental europe compared to the US)

suddenly a 360 price-drop by november makes a lot of sense
    249/349 vs 499/599.. gonna be an interesting christmas shopping season
    (even more so if the Rev launches between the rumored 149-199 )

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I may miss living in Europe (mmm, dutch fries with pindasaus) but I don't miss the high prices. When I was living there we got everything late AND had to pay more.

Sucks for Europeans :(

But I'm in the U.S. now so :p

3. iGav macrumors G3

I don't think it makes much of a difference to be honest... it'll still sell in the truckload. And in the boatload if they have a GTA or GT as a launch title.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The prices are coming.....i would go with the $499 but $599?? thats out...

Bless

5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

That's over-the-top isn't it? I was very interested in the PS3 (mainly because of the new MGS title) but if it costs that much, without games and accessories then I'll just forget it. The Revolution looks set to launch at sub-£150 and I'm totally fine paying that for something that has almost 3x the power of the Gamecube in a sleeker case.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

On the contary. Price is very important and the ps3's price tag of 499-599 shouldnt come as a total shock considering what the machine has inside of it (60gb hd, cell processor, 512mb ram, bluray player) I think that average parent come christmas, when faced with $750-800 for a ps3 with a couple of games (assuming there isn't a supply problem - which going on sony past performance at the holiday season is somthing of a certainty)...

Compare that 800 to 250 for a rev & a couple of games or 400 for a 360 (which will no doubt have a price drop) and couple of games...

That's a huge margin of a difference and regardless of the features, I dont see the average buyer going for it...

To me it's price suicide.....

7. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

i'm pretty sure that it will outsell at that price quite for sure for the first 3-4 months just for the hardcore fans ... just like the 360 did in december-january but after that when the rush is over and casuals need to be attracted it's gonna be difficult

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I agree with this - you tell your parent you want a PS3 for Christmas, they won't know/care about the difference, and get you the console that's half the price of the other

9. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Looks like the rev could champion after all. To get the teen market they'll need to release some decent shooters and driving sims (not saying they're better games, but they draw the teen markets) beacuse they've already on hands down on price it seems.

10. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Perhaps, but the majority of people I know will not go for that.

If they see they can get another system AND a handful of games for the same price; I just don't think they will get themselves to buy that.

Plus, at a high price like that just think of the extra cost. If the system costs $650, and a game $60...

PS3+1 Game = $710

For that someone looking at a 360 could get the system and 5 games for the same price.

Of course, when PS2 was released it was selling for $600-900 on eBay, so we will see how it works out when that is the retail price.

PS2, though, didn't have two strong competitors when it launched (GameCube/Xbox came a year later).

11. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

i'm not suprised to be honest.
    the only people that will pay that much for a console are the die-hard-core fans, and rich folk! plain and simple.

there's no way i could afford this plus say 2 games and 1 extra controller, even if i wanted a PS3. that's allready closing in on £600!!
    i could buy a Revolution, 2 extra controllers and 10 games!! yes, Ten!! And still have some change left over for a few Virtual Console downloads! : ]

I feel sorry for the PS3 fans. sure they are gonna get great graphics, but yikes it's gonna cost them an arm and a leg!

peace

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I dunno. People don't buy things if they cost a lot. How many Ferrari Enzo owners do you know? that number bigger than Ford or Peugot owners?
    Quoted 2nyRiggz because he's a Sony player but finds the $599 steep. Good luck Sony.

A high price is bad. very very bad. I was looking into getting one (if you've read my earlier comments). PS1 download is a god send. but I'm not paying that much.

greatdevourer is right. For what you get it may be good value. But like he said, ask a parent to get a new console this Xmas and yea. £120 Rev, £199 360 or the £400 PS3. Hmm!

So, finally as Sony catch up to everyone else in terms of console power they overcharge! ho hum. Like I said. Good luck Sony. Only the adults/extreme fans are going to fork out that much. Especially with games costing *predicted* more than 360 stuff. and WAY more than Rev stuff, without there being the quality Metroid and Zelda titles. Sony's causal gaming market just got lost in the wash.

Exactly.

Is the PS3 the new PSP? New format for films, check. Over cost, check.

Sony need to realise that it takes a little thing called low prices to flock the gamers in.
    This has made me think that the next generation is going to be a very different scenario to the last one. Super expensive PS3, similar power to 360, super cheap/super useable Rev. It's not only Nintendo with a new gaming strategy it's Sony too. aiming for the rich only. seemingly.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think you'll find mate it was me who said that ;) Not that I'm credit hogging or anything :D

The markets are fickle and hardware loyalty is strong for some consumers but not the majority, they care about value for money.

Regardless of how much stuff they pack into the PS3, it will always be seen as a games console by the mass market. One that at this price is way too steep. And at the end of the day, more than graphics, bluray, hd size, 1080p - it's price that is going to decide a victor in the next gen war. Especially with Sony & Microsoft.

14. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I would say its every bit of $500.

Reasons...

Bluray DVD players go for $1000 now. (sonystyle.com)
    Everyone wants a PS3 (ok hecklers, not you, but most do)
    It can play all previous ps games
    PSPs cost $250
    And...

If Apple can charge $400-500 for a video ipod, they can charge what they want for their PS3 computer/bluray, superstation.

15. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

$500 is a possible minimum. most likely it will be closer to $600-$700
    hope you enjoy your investment! : ]

peace

16. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Mark my words. $499.

Also, setting up a price point, 6 months ahead is retarded. Nobody knew what the xbox would cost till 2 months before hand. Reason being, as more time passes, parts get cheaper.

We also know Europe gets screwed on all pricings and gets things wayyyy more expensive there.

17. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Errr... the iPod is $400 not $400-500. A PS3 does not have a battery and is not portable. Why do you think laptops cost more than desktops?

18. iGav macrumors G3

To some it will be.

To others it simply won't enter the equation, and that's why I stand by my original comment. It'll sell, and it won't have any problems doing so.

Lordy. :rolleyes:

We're talking about £350, the PlayStation 2 was £299... evidently it doesn't take a low price to "flock the gamers in".

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As said above, the PS2 had no competition. At launch anyways. It had the DC, but a Poodle with an LCD on its forehead and a single button saying "win" placed on its rear could have destroyed the DC (though personally, i loved it).

But, you're not taking into account that Nintendo will have a £120 console out around about the same time, with games costing the SAME as GC games do now (£20-30).
    Sony are launching at a minimum of £350 with multiple systems (IIRC) and games costing a LOT more. Have you not seen 360 games? They're going for £45 and they're on regular DVD's. Make them blu-ray, what you think they'll be any cheaper? £50 minimum for games.

Let's do a bit of math.

PS3+1 game= £400
    Rev+1 game= £150

Call me retarded, but what do you think parents, a large number of gamers, people without £400 to burn going to buy? The PS2 with a super CPU and GPU or the utterly new mini system?

I felt a tingle writing those numbers. Lets play some more.

PS3+Extra controller+1 game= £430
    Rev+10 games= £420

I'm sorry. but arguing that the PS3 costing that much and it doing as well as the PS2 is hilarious. They have amazing competition this time around. The cheap Rev, the similarly powered 360 for a lot less (even more, no doubt there will be a price cut just before the PS3 launch).

Whatever happens, this gen is going to be brilliant to follow. Personally I believe the handheld theory - that gamers want new ways of playing over expensive, regurgitated, pretty machines.

EDIT: I'd like a poodle.

20. iGav macrumors G3

That still does not change the fact that people "flocked" to buy a £299 console, you said...
    And that is evidently untrue, regardless of what competition was around at the time, it still outsold every other console, regardless of price.

I think the PlayStation 3 will outsell the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Revolution within 12 months of its release, and I think that it will do that regardless of price.

Remember we're only talking about £350. Considering that the average gamer is a late 20 something/early 30 something, a wage earner... I don't think £350 will make too much of a significant dent in their pockets.

The £299 PlayStation 2 obviously didn't.

21. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

People were willing to spend twice that on 360s at launch. Why? Because it had no competition and was the only thing out there (I know the DC existed, but, no offense Raggedjimmi, it was crap)

22. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

For what little it is worth I agree but this whole topic really is stupid considering how distant the launch is. If Blue-Ray takes off in the meantime expect prices for such drives to tumble potentially effecting the PS3's price. Same goes for any other included hardware. I didn't read the article but as I doubt Sony have confirmed what the packages will be for all anyone here knows you may get free games and extra controllers all included thus making all these A+B+C=too expensive equations mute.

Also stating that because Blue-Ray is new disks will cost more than DVD's is not necessarily true especially when you consider the markup. Bulk producing any format of disk is peanuts branding and retailing boost the price to what we see now. The expense is in the equipment to produce the disks but this is spread other a large period Sony can still sell games for the exact same RRP as they do now. The production costs compared to old cartridges are minute new format or not.

With the inclusion of Blue-Ray, HD and just the general look of the thing Sony are aiming at the home entertainment market. DVD players today can reach the £/$1000's of dollars. For a working person looking for an all singing all dancing gadget £350-400 is nothing. Hell a pack of gum a day in the UK is well over £100 pounds a year and you have nothing to show for it at the end. Over say a three year lifespan the PS3 works out at around £100 per year and that isn't taking in to account the fact it will come down in price after the initial surge.

I haven't ever seen a Nintendo game to tempt me and the Xbox titles that are interesting to me can be found on a PC or even mac in the case of COD2 (eventually) and are far better with mouse and keyboard. I'm not a fan boy, I bought a PS2 for GT4 and nothing else because compared to other driving games I felt it was the best. As long as PS3 and GT5 offer a great experience I will buy one simple as that and I'm not a huge game player by any means. It all comes down to what games people want and what features they will use. If Sony make a quality product it will sell.

23. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Pack of gum a day? Think of the laxative effects! :p

For me, Nintendo's solid first-party games are what make it great. Zelda, Metroid, Mario have all been around for decades yet they offer something significantly new in every game (apart from the portable remakes of course). Then you have other unique titles like Super Smash Bros. Melee and Mario Party (don't knock it until you've tried it ;) ). Well, that's just my opinion anyway.

24. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

somebody stated the PS2 didnt have competition...uumm...so the DC, GC and Xbox were fake :eek: Holy crap. I thought I owned those units. guess their fake. amazing.

Also, PSP cost alot more then other units. twice the price point and I would say its doing damn well. Considering profits are important, its one of the most profitible units for Sony too.

25. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

For about a year, the only competition was the DC, which doesn't really count. If you'd read the rest of the posts, you'd've come across the point - people flocked to buy them at release because it was the only thing out at the time (same with the 360 this generation). By the time the GC and XBox came out, the PS2 had established itself, and, as we all (should) know, the sheep follow the herd