PS3 in europe:NOT 499-599 €

Discussion in 'Games' started by illegalprelude, Apr 7, 2006.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/700/700432p1.html

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Of course that doesn't actually mean it WON'T cost that much, just that there still is no Official, confirmed, price point. It could stil be 499-599, or it could be lower... or higher... since there has been no official press release. ;)

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly.

Also the less than 500 price point would simply be 499....

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'll believe it when we see it. Cell, BluRay, HDD, graphics card capable of dual 1080p output. It's going to be very very expensive.

If it does cost less than £150 I'll snap one up. But not before :) It's a machine to play games on, after all.

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I'll beleive that lot when I see it, too

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Oh, it's all going to be in there I'm sure, but Sony's also doing their best to hype everything.

Cell is NOT that expensive to make IIRC; and the GPU is a standard GPU (even more standard than Microsoft's), with a slightly higher clock speed and higher bandwidth outputs. Many have stated that it probably won't have enough power to actually render two 1080p 3D games at once- meaning either dual 720p or like the DS, 2D on one screen and 3D on the other.

A Blu-ray drive without all the other Blu-ray hardware is probably not that expensive either (especially when being sold at a loss, and not the huge profit margins companies expect for new technologies), especially seven months from now.

WiFi and Bluetooth are very cheap to add these days.

IMHO Sony is hyping the hardware to the point people are sure it's going to be super-expensive and then people will think it's a bargain when it's $400-$500. They did it with the PS2.

7. iGav macrumors G3

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

On the whole "dual-output" thing, I've never seen it in action. Iirc, it hasn't featured at any of the later press conferences. Plus there's the fact that who the hell has 2 TVs next to each other, let alone 2 1080p ones. I call BS on that one.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nope; the E3 press conference featured it. They were showing how on Gran Turismo 5 you could have the map and stats (online and offline IIRC) shown on a second TV while playing on the first.

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

True, but that was a year ago. There's nothing to say it hasn't been dropped since

11. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

If you ask me. talk about it for a year, how pricy and so forth. then the unit gets delayed for another 6 months (thus making components cheaper, not a whole lot but still cheaper) and once the might beast hits out and people are like "omg, its gonna be $2,000! its gonna be $699" and so forth, then BAM, hit the price point of $399 and people will flock.

Are they gonna take a big hit with each unit, sure. Bigger then the PS2? Possibly but its part of a bigger battle for them

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

everything is just hype until the price is released so who here can say what will be.....so like someone said..i will believe it when i see it.

Bless