PS3 in sync with Zune

Discussion in 'Games' started by zap2, Jul 28, 2006.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yup that right, Sony also is playing MS game with Zune paying off in 5 years http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/artic...60727:MTFH48912_2006-07-27_19-03-30_N27313748

Sony's game department lost 200Million but they plan to gain that back in 5 years.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3534&Itemid=2
    I guess this means ever PS3 sold is hurting Sony, and every PS3 not sold is also hurting Sony.

I for one can't see why Sony would do this, they already have so much of the market but still went out a made an overpowered system.

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Every console that is released is over-powerd for its time, which is why each console generally has a lifespan of 5 years.

3. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

I meant over powered, some much that Sony is breaking the bank for it. The Wii is strong enought but still makes cash..(that was one example)

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

nintendo will have to replace the wii long before sony replaces the PS3.

they're going to need to come to the HD party before 2011 if they want to be taken seriously for anything other than handheld...

5. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Not necessarily, only about 15% of Americans have HDTV. HDTV is still too expensive for the average consumer. With Nintendo skewing towards the low end of the price range of new consoles, this will make them more appealing to most families and as long as they come out with fun and appealing games, having HD graphics will probably not be that big of issue for these average consumers.

Source: http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0209/p13s01-stct.html

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

In the UK at least, HD isn't taking off until the BBC offer a free to air HD service. Not some scummy, lacklustre Sky option.
    The Wii is just fine. 480p? I don't mind if I'm paying £150 for it. Seriously I grew out of the resolution camp years ago, ever since a mates supercomputer was pushing Quake 1 at 800*600 in '96. I played on Quake at 640*480 on my own machine and guess what?

it was the same game :)

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

And? You think Microsoft ISN'T taking losses? They've taken losses on BOTH consoles they've released. You seem to think that Sony is the only one losing money in this generation, but it's not. So, this really isn't any news, it's just that a different company is doing it.

8. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

I know MS is taking loses... but MS has a few things over Sony, and a few reason why Sony doesn't need to do this.

MS has more cash then Sony so they can do it for longer, also MS took a lose to gain market share as it was there first system(not that bad of an idea) Sony had a huge market from PS2, why did they need to over do it? They could have done a PS3 were the make cash and is still a good game system.

I honestly thing Nintendo is the only the smart company does their the only one making cash

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Meh, so what? I think their desire to further bluray is driving it, and if they didn't think it was a smart gamble, they wouldn't do it. They have bean-counters far smarter than you or I that tell them what is safe and isn't. They wouldn't be driving something THIS big if they didn't think it was something they would succeed at, right?

If you look back, people thought the PS was gonna fail, but it didn't. They said the same of the PS2, but it didn't. Now people are saying the same about the PS3, and it... well, it might fail, but chances are, with over 50 million gamers worldwide, it won't. :)

10. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

I agree full heartly... but i think the PS3 is different, because Blue-Ray is not the only format that DVD could move onto, with the PS3, DVD was pretty big, and had no other format to fight for the market.

11. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I think the inclusion of Blue-Ray is insane on Sony's part. Putting it on the PS3 won't necessarily drive sales of the format, but a higher price will hurt sales of the console. The biggest thing that would help push the Blue-Ray format is to get HDTVs in people's homes and right now the average consumer can't afford them.

I might get a PS3 but not until I get an HDTV and/or the price goes down. I got a 42" ED Panny a couple of years ago because I knew that HD wouldn't take off for a few years and I didn't want to pay for something I wasn't going to use at the time. (I plan on getting an HD set in the next year or two and retireing the ED one to the bedroom). The same thing applies to Blue-Ray on the PS3. One of the main reasons why I am high on the Wii is that the bang for your buck is great with the games that have been announced so far (Mario, Metroid, Zelda, CoD3, Red Steel, Godfather etc), wiimote, virtual console, DVD playback, and web browser.

Microsoft probably has the safest bet going but I just find most of their catalog ho-hum as I can get many of the titles for PC. Personally, if I were a Sony shareholder I wouldn't want to wait 5 years to see if the strategy is working or not.

To be honest, I would almost rather see DVD quality web delivered content than either format win. Unfortunately, I don't think that's what Hollywood has in mind. If I could download a DVD quality movie from an iTunes Movie Store or equivalant in a few hours instead of waiting a day or two for Netflix at a reasonable price (under $3.99 for rentals for $14.99 for purchases) I would be pretty happy. They could use a Netflix-like queue system to automatically download the next movie after you watch one and bittorrent technology to cut distribution costs. Not to say that this and HD disks can't co-exist but I would be willing to bet that web delivery would hurt both of these formats.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, it usually does work out that way.
    Beta, MiniDisc, ATRAC, UMD, MicroMV, Memory Stick...

Okay, Memory Stick is far from dead, and the MS Micro is freakin' tiny (and I happen to be a hardcore Sony Ericsson fanboy :eek:), so that one gets a pass, as does Digital8, because it was more of an interim solution anyway (but not all that great of one.)

13. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

I agree, they have failed on several technologies, which is why I'm saying that Bluray might not succeed over HD DVD, but that war is just beginning. However, since it comes built in to the PS3, it's probably going to beat out the $200 add on for the 360. We'll just have to see how it all pans out. Just as well, since it's built in to the PS3, it's not a standalone product like many releases of technology that they've tried before, like the the ones you mentioned. It has a game console/media center to back it up, plus dozens of highly profitable companies as well.

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

I have no counterpoints to your logic, this is a very well thought post. I as well plan on getting an HDTV and then moving my other TV (the 27", 200 lbs monster) into the bedroom. lol

15. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

You don't have any counter points? Are you sure? :D ... Thanks for the compliment.

The whole proprietary format thing is intriguing. Sony is willing to bet the future of their game console line for profits made from another proprietary format...I guess we know where the money is anyway...