PS3 interface

Discussion in 'Games' started by irishgrizzly, Aug 21, 2006.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

2. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

I find it great. The 360's interface is too confusing to a person using it for the first time. there are soo many places to click and go. Sony is going simple for the interface, and I think many will like it.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I've seen it before.....its not a clone per say....they wanted the PSP and PS3 to have that unified thing going....its really neat....plus they cleaned it up a bit....several articles gives it props.

Bless

4. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I do like it, at least at first look.

I am a bit concerned it will end up too limiting for some functions. It may work great for first use but feel limited once you get used to it. I feel the opposite about the 360, it may take a bit longer to get used to, but then it has a lot to offer.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Echo Haoshiro. Looks nice but for a system that is promising all this boom and zazz, looks a little weak.
    I think it works great on the PSP (self positioned menus would be improve it) but as a full system - I don't know how I'd feel.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I saw a vidoe of it and it seem "weak" but Sony said you could have a backround of your choice of how(atleast thats what i hear) so that makes it a little better, still nothing that would make be buy, or not buy the system.(i'd never buy a system for video games based on the menu, so really its not all that important to me)

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It's obviously not a final version, so I'm sure many of the options are not loaded into it. As far as the UI aspect, I think it's perfect. Simple is always best.

8. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I agree that it doesn't look as great as I expected. I also think that it is MORE confusing than the 360 blade system. It will still be cool though, I hope Sony makes its online play as good as 360.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think so as well....I saw the one from the e3 showroom and it look real nice.....showed off the browser and it looked a little better than this showing....hate to say this but it look a little vista-ish.

Bless

10. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I was quite underwhelmed by it. I honestly prefer the Xbox 360 Interface.

11. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I will say that even though it looks barebones simple, it makes sense when you bring up the system menu mid game. A nice clean interface.

But it is just really...bare. Then again, one is able to customize.

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I love it on my PSP but the icons need to be a lot bigger on the PS3 to make it look snazzy imho

13. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I'm hoping that they improve the menu display during gameplay. The one shown on IGN didn't seem to darken the paused game, which could make reading the menu very difficult if the paused game is very bright.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The XBox 360 interface feels so PC-like though, like when I bump the Windows key when playing a game, and more importantly, it LAGS. The framerate of the animated blade popping out is choppy.

I only see UI lag on my Windows PCs, so the sight just instantly makes me think of a crappy PC.

This looks nicer IMHO. Though as said above, it should darken the screen to be readable.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Despite the 360 having some serious bugs with the lastest dash update, i still prefer it.

Sony's minimal interface works great on a handheld, but I think it looks out of place aesthetically on a ps3.

It's too small, friend information looks difficult to manage and where on earth is the easy to access marketplace from the dash?

Also where on earth is the option to boot up linux from the dash, it was not there from what was shown and that seems worrying.

Please, dont tell me we can only do that from a linux boot disc :eek: :eek:

Don't like it at this stage at all. But will reserve final judgment for final product.

16. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Unless you're losing useful features because of the simplicity ;) The problem with simplicity is that when you try to add onto it, it just gets horrible. But, as you said, it's not finished. It may not even look anything like that come November.

As Mavimao said, that sort of interface for the games is far better than the 360 in-game dashboard. And hopefully, it'll actually make sure the game is paused when it's brought up

17. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

I think it looks subtly powerful and very clean. Best thing is that like with the PSP you'll probably be able to set a custom background or change background effects.

18. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I think that is really why the 360 UI lags when a game is running, because the game doesn't get paused.

I understand the principal behind that though, since certain games have different ways of pausing. Strategy oriented games want to black the screen, etc, so people can't "cheat" by giving themselves time to think (a simple example would be speed chess).

This could be a problem for the way the PS3 UI is working now, unless the game can somehow detect the system pause event and black the screen itself.

I think MS could have avoided the lag if they had just required developers include a standardized pause routine that the system could call when the UI was brought up, same for PS3.

And as for the simplicity, I agree that simple is best. But I also agree trying to make a UI extremely simple when you have a lot of information you need to manage or make available can actually end up cumbersome. As long as the UI doesn't go too deep, and branches off to full screen sections where appropriate, it could work very well.

19. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It's fine I guess, but I also prefer the Xbox 360 interface.

20. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I like the interface on the PS3, nice and simple

21. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I just remember the first time I turned on my Gamecube four years ago, and saw that floating cube.. I thought that was so cool.

This is just kind of... bland.
    Easy to use, sure, but boring.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I hope to god they have better on screen support that aesthetically pleasing than the DVD menu on a ps2. Awful, just plain awful.

23. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think that system works well for a handheld, but I would just need more on a console.

At first, I was a little overwhelmed with the 360's interface. I didn't know where half the stuff was or what the other half did.

But now I really like it (the 360 that is). I think everything is really well organized and there is great integration with the live marketplace.

I really hope that is not the final interface for the PS3, even though I won't be getting one anytime soon. I want it to be fun and personalized, that theme seems very sterile and boring. We spend big bucks on these systems, I want to feel like it knows me and I can change it to my personality.

24. deggs37 macrumors member

Where it is now its too dull, way too much room left unused.

25. MS bulldog macrumors regular

be patient...sony is famous for their user friendly programming. i'm sure they'll come up with an intuitive menu that will be fully functional and pleasing to the eyes.