PS3 is here

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Feb 9, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK well my PS3 arrived :D

Initial impressions & Aesthetics

It's a lot bigger than I thought. Aesthetically it's really quite nice when its vertical, but looking at it horizontally (front end showing mostly), in a cabinet / stand so all you see is the front, well its damn ugly.

It's also heavier than I suspected (i guess to accomodate the psu), and the plastic covering the memory slots feels a bit flimsy.

And after being on for an hour or two it does make as much noise as my 360, but the BD drive is a heck of a lot quieter.

Menu

Well yes it's nice and simple on the surface, but wanting to change settings and things and it becomes really awkward. It took me ages to find things for setting up my PS3.

Is there a way of selecting the dash colour because at the moment it's pink and I want to stab it.

Display Settings & Audio Hiccups

I also do not like how you have to manually change the display settings before you plug ina cable otherwise the screen is blank. They should have done the same as the 360 where it automatically detects what your using and outputs, so you can change quickly between cables.

There are issues also with Audio output. You have to disable HDMI audio it seems to get the sound to come out of the S-Pdif optical output. But at times then my HDMI TV would crackle and hiss like sound data is still being sent through it ? Had to mute the TV in the end.

Also I could see no difference between 720p/1080i on HDMI compared to 720p/1080i on Component. My big screen doesnt do 1080p so I'll try that with my Dell 24" over the weekend.

Wireless

It detected my Airport Express no problem, and is working away without issue. It actually found an update 1.51 and it seemed to take ages to download it?

HDD - sneaky

Those bemoaning the fact that the 20gb HDD of the Xbox 360 isn't really 20gb as memory is reserved for system - you will take NO solace in the fact that a freshly formated and reset PS3 60gb only has 43GB available. What happened to the other 17 ?

Controller

My god its light. Too light almost. And whats with the R&L Triggers they feel really plasticy and clicky. I picked up my logitech Dual Shock for PS2 and it feels a quadrillion times better in the hand than the sixaxis.

Not a fan of the controller. AND I DO MISS RUMBLE. Motorstorm and Full Auto2 felt so weird without the rumble, even slapping a creature with the back of your gun or feeling an explosion in Resistance felt hollow in comparison, and I felt a total sense of immersion dissapearing. GIVE ME BACK RUMBLE SONY!!!!!

Tilty wilty ? Well I actually liked the tilt :) It works well I thought and cant wait for somthing like Warhawk.

Playstation Network

As mine is an american console it required an American address for me to set up an account. Of course that's easily fabricated. Pretty much the same procedure as Xbox Live.

Sony Store

I like it - but...... In order for me to make purchases I am going to have to buy Playstation Cards on ebay or somthing, because it wont accept anything other than an American address on the Credit Card :eek: A bit of hassle - but to be expected as an import.

Anyone know if the PS Cards are available readily ?

Games

Full Auto 2

I loved full auto on the 360 and was able to compare both games side by side. I expected the PS3 version to be a lot smoother framerate, but it is not. Side by side both stutter and what seems to have happened is theyve just implemented a frameskip on the PS3 version, resulting in what looks like a faster game but still feels stuttery.

Also the cars in the 360 version are a lot more detailed. Also the tracks in the PS3 version, there is a lot of tearing and cross hatching on surfaces like windows which is not on the 360 version.

I also thought with the game offloading over 1gb of data to your HDD, that it would have faster load times over the 360, but it doesnt.

Sorry but I much prefer the 360 version on this one and I'm dissapointed.

Resistance

I really like the game, and the framerate really is smooth. I also much prefer this game to GOW 'gameplay wise' and it feels pretty much like COD3 meets HalfLife2

But whilst I think it looks lovely, and I'm really enjoying a battered England - running through cities I know and stuff - I must admit GOW has an overall better aesthetic.

Sound wise it like bits are missing here and there. The sound of you running on grass at times is silent, it feels like there's no atmosphere. Shame.

Added that to the lack of rumble feedback and you just dont feel as immersed as you should.

Really good launch game all the same.

Motorstorm DEMO

Looks better on magazines than it does on my 42" LCD. In the magazines there is no AA issues, but in the real game there is some cross hatching and odd flickery jaggies here and there.

But.. this is only the demo.

Gameplay - I really like it. Its feels faster than I thought it looked in video clips and I think tilt / motion sensing on the controller worked pretty well with it.

Great demo and worth the download (and purchase in March ;) )

---

I have two other games. Gengi & NFS: Carbon but havent had chance to play them. I'll post those impressions when I have.

OVERALL

Nice console. It is big and ugly from the front and the simplied menu system is deceitfully complex.

A leap over 360. Not at all from what I've played & expericened so far, but I have no regrets.

A few issues they should sort out. An auto detect for display if they can.

And for the love of god, put Rumble back in the friggin pad. :)

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

XMB themes change color according to the date.

I have a bunch of crap on my HD and i have 45/60GB free. Empty is more.

You should be able to create a EU store account once it launches in your area

DL the GTHD demo, its awesome.

My PSN is PSXBatou, feel free to add me :)

Ed

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Good review...I guess:confused:

Well enjoy none the less. I can't agree with you on some things but we have your own conclusions right....babaloui!!

Bless

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ I'll add you Ed. Mines xSCRAPLANDx (because scrapland on its own was gone :( wanted the same tag as my 360)

I do like the machine, very much - but there's things that bug me about it, just as theres loads of stuff that bugs me about the Wii & 360. We all have different opinions - it doesnt make one person wrong or right, because its all subjective :)

babaloui ? I'm missing somthing arent I.. :confused: Is that your tag ?

Also is it possible to add any bluetooth headset for gaming then ?

5. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

(PSN-name) Coded-Dude :cool:
    Well, glad you like it....

NOTE: That Motorstorm demo is old, and word is the final product looks way better.
    (I'm looking forward to the night races) btw - did you try tilt yet?

I think I'm gonna buy "snake....lol" this weekend and try it out.
    Its got multi-player, and full 3-D tilt FTW!
    Even though its an "arcade" its the first game(besides THP8) to take full advantage of tilt.
    I haven't played THP8, but from what I have read, you can pretty much play without pushing any buttons.

Anywho, there will be some great content coming in the next few months, so be patient and enjoy.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I've been watching too much family guy...:)
    Okay guys I've been holding back on adding people to my wii, 360 and PS3 because I never get to play anyone when they are online...only person I've played from MR so far is Mackilroy(Good game by the way) Jimmi(DS)

Are you on the list for show or will we really have a good game..this is for all the MR regulars with a 360, PS3 and a Wii..

Bless

7. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

I almost forgot, at D.I.C.E Sony announced they are making a game out of the Rubber Ducky demo
    (I think its gonna be something similar to lemmings)
    .....and loco roco is coming as well.

8. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

now that I want NOW :D

I have tried tilt and I quite like it :) But I want tilt & rumble :D I want it all

I've just been playing the F1 demo, and that's really nice. I'm not a big driving game fan and yet nearly all the demos and games so far are driving games. :rolleyes: But have to admit F1 was pretty cool and looked really impressive.

9. darkwing macrumors 65816

Congrats on getting it, MRU.

I've never noticed any weird jaggies with the MotorStorm demo. I also don't hear anything from my PS3. It's got a soft whirr when the fans come on (not often) and really it's no louder than my MBP.

Not being able to change the color in the XMB is stupid. :rolleyes:

Full Auto 2 sucks. I didn't realize it had frame issues on the 360, too. Bad programming all around I guess. It's a fun game and I enjoy the missions, but the frame skipping is just stupid on a next gen console.

BTW, my hard drive came empty with like 56/60 free or something like that. Perhaps you need to reformat the drive? You can do that in the XMB.

10. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'll do that later. It did have linux on it when it came, so I'll re-format it and see if that gives me proper size. I thought there was somthing odd.

11. darkwing macrumors 65816

I hacked the internet with Linux.

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I hope everybody makes a new thread every time they consider/buy a new console, it'd make this place much more fun.

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yes, for the PSP.

14. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

oh :(

15. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Yeah, sorry I didn't make that clear.
    Phil siad he was playing loco roco 2 on his way over to give his speech

16. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Super Rub'a'Dub ;)
    http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-24589.aspx

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I love the F1 demo, looks the same as a race on tv (well not photo realistic but the presentation), and Motorstorm is sweet.

Get online with Resistance MRU, it is a blast to play wiht 39 other people blowing eachother up.

18. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Better yet, join our clan :D

Ed

19. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ will do lads :)

I downloaded the GT:HD and hooked up my ps3 to the Dell 2407fpw via DVI so I could play at 1080p.

Wasnt overly impressed with it (GT:HD) to be honest. Just not my cup of tea.

Display amendment.

Component Flaws on the PS3 ?

I've also noticed the PS3 looks really nice via HDMI. But looks quite rough via component. The image goes very soft and slightly blury via component.

It certainly isnt the same quality an output as the 360's component output so I dont know whats going on there.

I ran Need For Speed Carbon on both the PS3 (full game) and on the 360 (demo)

Firstly both on component. The 360 looked so much crisper and cleaner. It was glaringly noticeable.

Then with the PS3 on HDMI and 360 on component. Both looked identical.

So.

The component output is definitely not as good as the 360's. I'll stick with HDMI on it anyway but I was just really surprised by the quality difference though.

And yes I'm using the offical Sony component cable, and I tried a 3in1 component just to make sure it wasnt my cable but the same result.

PS3 is Quiet

I'm taking back what I said earlier from my initial impressions. The PS3 is vastly quieter than the 360. The noise from the 360 completely drowned out any sound from the PS3.

HDMI

This may just be my HDMI cable so I'm asking. When I set the sound to output via SPDIF Optical and therefore have no sound on HDMI - there are times when I can hear some strange noises coming out of my TV speakers. I have to mute volume. ? Anyone else experienced similar ?

Gengi looks lovely, really great graphics. Awful camera. I'll put up with it though. It's an alright game when you want a bit of mindless button mashing.

Need For Speed Carbon

Graphically I cant tell the difference between the PS3 version and the 360. Both look near as identical. But what I did notice, on the 360 there is a kind of stutter, which I'm not sure what is the cause (framerate ? ) but it gives me nausea anyway. The PS3 version doesnt have that and feels a lot better for it - but.... it's still a game that I'd have to force myself to play (I'm just not into custom cars and stuff) and will be traded for somthing else.

In fact if anyone got a game they want to trade for it - then PM me. I'd take Blazing Angels or anything else :)

20. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Yes me to, though I thought it had more to do with my TV than the PS3.
    It only happens when the signal changes(changing resolutions)

21. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

interesting. hopefully a firmware fix to sort that out.

22. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Is it possible this is because the 360 version you have is the demo? Wondering if retail might perform better and be running on newer code.

23. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I think its more likley that its a problem becuase its a EA game :p I own it for my PS3, but i haven't played it a whole lot.

Ed

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This has been something I've noticed myself on my friend's TV...hopefully this will be fixed?...hope.

Bless

25. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Probably true unfortunetly :)

NFS: Most Wanted did the same thing too on the 360. It really did make me motion sick to play.

Yeah it's really weird. Component looks just so bad - especially when you have somthing to compare it too. It would be nice if they fix it via an update, we will wait and see.