[PS3] It all makes sense now

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/kutaragi-obsessed-with-tech-internal-sony-strife--ps3-seen-as-risk-187680.php

As the Kotaku guy says "Some of it is obvious a, some is surprising".

Bolded what I considered the more interesting bits. Funny though, the Playstation series always felt like they had no magic, I've mentioned before. They just generally produced lacklustre games barring a few gems, aimed more at people who don't care. And we all knew about studios dropping Sony for the dev cost so chalk that on to the obvious list.

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    More FUD from the Nintendo Camp I see. Never a postive thing to say about the emmerging technologies that are invested into the PS3.

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Well seemingly some guys at Sony don't have interest in these emerging technologies either, worried that they will disrupt the system.
    and interestingly, have a read through Kotaku or Joystiq. or you might be living under a rock what with all the negative press pouring from Sony and the (mostly) good press from Nintendo. though I could just be lying, or you could just browse other news sites.

plus I thought it might be interesting to know the internal affairs of Sony and where this negative press is coming from. a boss who doesn't care? theres the problem.

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Oh, I've read quite a bit, but no magic wand controller is going to get me to say it's way cooler than a 25 Gig disc, or a processor that has incredible abilities to process large AND small bits of information at the same time. These are going to be awesome technologies despite what the lame ass bloggers say.

The fact is there's some awesome games in development (see the new FF XIII games, the WALL, COD 3, MGS 4, and others) that will be incredible, breath taking games.

Ever play Ico? The graphics in that game hands down beat most PS2/Xbox games for YEARS, and it was an excellent game to play. There are developers that know what people want, and the last thing I want is to prance around my living rooom with a baton.

5. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Why keep bringing this up, you've posted before about how dev. cost is too high. You keep bringing up the obvious and recycling things you've said before. Of course the I'm not much of a Playstation fan to be honest (more of a Nintendo man myself) but this constant anti sony bashing is getting tedious.

Of course Kutaragi cares about the market! You really think a multi billion dollar company would leave a man would no knowledge or interest about the market in charge of what is probably their most important division. Does the article mention that there could be pressure on Kutaragi to put blu-ray in to make blu-ray standard? No. If I was a betting man I'd bet he would given the choice he'd leave the whole drive out altogether to drive cost down to 360 levels and shift a ton of Ps3's.

Like I said above I'm more of a Nintendo man but this constant sony bashing is getting annoying.

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I haven't played Ico. couldn't get hold of it here, and my PS2 was sold way before I could get my hands on it.
    Fair play you don't want to prance around your living room with a baton, I'll be sat down tilting my hands instead. You don't need to prance to use your arms :) it only needs your arms, not legs.
    now prancing, as in EyeToy? what about DDR? They're very popular. though limited.

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

And like I said, some might find the internal affairs interesting, I'm getting into the industry now so it's just interesting to me to know about the consoles I'll end up developing for :) sorry to have offended you.

Lines like "Everyone sees developing for the PlayStation 3 as a risk." is interesting. The N64 and Cube were bashed for having lack of 3rd party support when it looks like the PS3 is going into the exact same waters.

8. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

There was no offense caused but you've said before the cost for developing is too high. We've gotten that point. You dont need to keep bringing it up.

Don't camp me in with Onizuka he's anti Nintendo I'm not but I just don't think constant bashing is doing anyone any good.

If its new news fair enough but not recycled news please.

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Lack of third party support? Look at Nintendo now, man. It still has jack **** for support. There are still more Devs for other consoles than there is for Nintendo. When Nintendo used to have what? 90% of devs?

The point is, the constant Sony bitching is repetetive and has driven quite a few people from posting in the gaming forum, because that's all they see.

I stay because I like to piss on these topics that just keep getting spun around like a broken record. But then I'm labeled a troll or a fanboy because I'm one realist in front of a bunch of propaganda spewing Nintendo apologists. :rolleyes:

10. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

To be fair you could be considered a troll just because of your sig! :p

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

And a signature saying "Nintendo sucks balls" helps this fanboy image?

At least I tried Sony. and actually, the DS has pretty much a plethora more developers than the PSP, and if the analysts are right that the handheld market will echo the console market then :)

Ps. If Nintendo sucks balls then where does that put Sony? I mean... since the turn of the millennium Nintendo is in more homes than Sony (Playstation). What with the GBA (more sold than PS2), DS (more sold than anything) and the Cube. hmm. just being realistic is all.

edit: I'm off for the night now. I'm sorry for Onizuka, and sorry if this thread sounds like a broken record. but its in the record bit that makes this important. if all we're hearing is doom and gloom then what are we supposed to think? Sony has problems manufacturing BluRay, does that mean we can't report on the Cell low yield figures?

12. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Yeah, but that's mainly why I did it. If I'm going to be labeled because I'm the only guy that stands up anymore, then might as well have fun with it at the same time. ;)

13. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Thats actually quite a good reason. :cool:

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Jimmi, this is the last time I'm responding to you in this thread, simply because your provocation is just as jilted as your "I'm a game developer view."

But, seriously, get over it. Not everyone likes or loves or has sex with Nintendo. There are many other platforms/consoles out there that have a fan base. And yes, it is a broken record. I bet I could list 20 or more posts by you with the exact same content.

15. Core Trio macrumors regular

Core Trio

the gamecube should basically be considered a flop by nintendos sales standards. I think that should be noted. No console of this past generation can touch the PS2, in sales and gaming library.

But honestly who cares. Buy what you want, play what you like, do you really think you're going to convert someone who likes playstation over to nintendo? And even if you could...do you really have that much time on your hands that you want to try?

These are the threads I come to the gaming forum for when Im at work. They make me remember my life really isnt all that boring.:)

16. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Your the voice of sanity in this thread.

17. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

PS3 moreso than the 360 seems to be moving away from videogaming and into multimedia. so when it comes to multimedia, i want a full-featured device, not a device that says 'eh... it plays games, and plays movies, and does other stuff too.'

i want my technology seperate. my computer will be a computer, my mp3 player will be an mp3 player, and my videogame console will be a videogame console. put those things together and you get a gizmondo... or slightly better, a psp...

to say you could watch movies, listen to music, and surf the web on a psp is well true. but is it really great to do those things? not really. sony would just have been better to leave those things out and focus more on gaming. same idea crosses over to the console market. videogames are still 'toys' and are for enjoyment and fun and sony seems to be taking the play out of PlayStation.

18. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You mean no console can match the number of PS2s that have had to been replaced in this past generation. ;)

Seriously. While I hear many stories about PS2s working fine, I see a vast percentage more of PS2s that failed for various reasons and had to be replaced – some as many as 6-7 times. That was using proven hardware. The PS3 will be using a lot of unproven hardware (Cell, Blu-ray) and if that stuff begins failing it will be extremely expensive to replace (note: I'm not referring to the consumer – hopefully Sony will replace the inevitable broken PS3s for free).

I'm betting that this generation, Sony will tie for second at best.

19. MJK37 macrumors newbie

I Just Had Too

This thread has forced me to sign up to post on these forums.

I think it is hillarious just how many threads like this are all over the web with someone pointing out some news and then everyone taking sides and defending there favorite company.

First of all I have owned many Video Game consoles over the years and never once have I bought or not bought one because of what someone else has said I picked the one I liked the most and bought it. I suspect many of you will do the same.

Chances are that none of your minds will be changed because of what someone on the internet had to say about this or that system, or because of some news story about the internal problems at this or that company.

Bottom line is there are good arguments for all systems.

Wii has one of the most inovative controllers ever made and some of the largest franchises in the world of Video Games

PS3 is a Bluray Player out of the box and considering that a stand alone bluray player is $1000.00 or more this is great news for anyone thinking of upgrading to a Bluray or HD system Sony also has great franchises in place.

Xbox 360 has an HD Drive coming some excellent games already and more to come also Xbox Live is a great system for online gaming.

No Matter where you get your game fix just figure out what kind of games you like, find out which console you can play those games on, and buy that system.

Rather than slam anyone who wants to buy a system other than the one you are getting why not just spend time in forums that have news on your desired product.

Sorry but I had to get that off my chest. :D

20. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Welcome to Macrumors MJK37 and I couldn't agree with you more (although I'm afraid it usually falls on deaf ears). I think we're up to 3 PSP vs DS penis size threads. Seems people will go to any lengths to justify their purchasing habits. Anyway hope you stick around and add some quality discussion to the gaming forums :).

The end of this year should be fantastic for gamers of all persuasions...

22. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Stop.
    Posting.
    These.
    Stupid.
    Threads.

G'night.

23. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

i'm not defending either one really cause i love them both...

but, this remark:

"the gamecube should basically be considered a flop by nintendos sales standards. I think that should be noted. No console of this past generation can touch the PS2, in sales and gaming library."

is flat out wrong. the nintendo should be considered the only sales success out of the three consoles. IF we're talking consoles. nintenedo is happier with their number than anyone else... they made more profit on the gamecube than sony and xbox. because for most of the life of the gamecube it's been sold at a profit. the xbox and playstation2 were sold at a loss for most of theirs.

numbers can be moved around as many times as you want, but to call success as strictly selling the most systems would be a mistake as far as economics go. last time i checked nintendo was turning profits and sony was going in the crapper.

personally I hope to own all three systems at some point. I can't wait for the wii, i may finally buy a microsoft product, and when the PS3 drops in price and brings FF, I'll hope to pick it up. If i can sell my car to buy it ;-)

24. Core Trio macrumors regular

Core Trio

if that wasnt sarcasm then thank you haha

25. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

:D