ps3 jaggies on ps2 games

Discussion in 'Games' started by darkwing, Jan 24, 2007.

1. darkwing macrumors 65816

It's fixed! Firmware 1.5 fixed the problem. In fact, it looks 5000 times better on my HDTV (sony 1080p) than the ps2 does. It looks amazing. Good job with the AA. My opinion of the ps3 in the short term just went up 5000%. Long term opinion remains unchanged at #1. ;)

Well, at least Sony's addressing customer concerns.

I'm back from Japan now. Phew.

2. Spartacus macrumors member

Do you have a link for this? I can't seem to find any news about a PS3 firmware release on google. This is one of the things keeping me from getting a PS3 is the reports of bad PS2 emulation. I haven't ever owned a PS2, and figure if I could rationalize away 100 bucks (price of ps2) off the core system $400 USD would MAYBE justify a purchase of one... :)

3. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

Sony is probably keeping it quiet because there official stance is that there is no problem, right?

http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...hread.id=808212&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

There are certainly benefits to the PS3 & Xbox firmware updates. On one hand it might seem strange to have to update your console, but on the other - if we didnt we would be left with broken software.

In all fairness I like the software updates. :)

5. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

I like playing Tales of the Abyss without it looking like ass. :)

6. Spartacus macrumors member

It appears it is only for Japan as of now. http://ps3.ign.com/articles/757/757625p1.html I'm sure his means it's a pretty safe bet they have addressed the issue and it's a matter of time before they it is released here in the US.

Kind of OT: Because it's 4:30 in the morning here, I'm too lazy to google the maximum resolution of a PS2 game. I know they depend, but what is the standard now adays for games like FFXII or God of War II?

7. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm in the US and my US ps3 is fixed.

Most ps2 games are 480i, and a few like God of War run 480p. Gran Turismo 4 has 1080i, but looks crappy even on a ps2. I think it's just upscaled 480.

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

This is good news indeed :) I'll do the update once i get home.

Ed

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Does the firmware patch offer anything new like upscaling or is it just to correct the PS2 glitch ?

Will they release a patch so BD movies on PS3 can output 720p or is that a hardware limit ?

10. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

It does not offer upscaling, at least according to Joystiq.

EDIT: Oh, I'm only referring to the idea of upscaling PS1 or PS2 games. As for the general upscaling/downscaling issues for the PS3, I have no idea. :)

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

The patch does not address the upscaling issues of the PS3.:(

12. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't see how they can fix the upscaling issues. I think it was a design flaw. They could easily do it if they use an SPE to do the upscaling, but they won't be able to guarantee that a future game wouldn't need that SPE. The best solution at this point (in my opinion) is to provide a simple API to do the scaling for games that want to make a 720p game to have it upscaled if necessary. Otherwise, they'll have to add it to the graphics drivers. Maybe that would also not be a problem but who knows?

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I love the fact that updates are given.....give these companies a chance to improve the screwups and as long as I don't have to pay for these updates...I'm cool:cool:

Bless