[PS3] Japan: only composite included

Discussion in 'Games' started by takao, Oct 12, 2006.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/738/738409p1.html

sometimes i wonder what Sony is thinking

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That is a very good example of a very bad thing to do. I can't get wound up as I don't plan on buying one, but how low are Sony scooping to make money? Firstly you're buying £450 console with only composite cables... Didn't the 360 come with SCART and Component?

Pre-argument; yes so does the Wii, but isn't touted as being a HD console. The PS3 is a console selling itself of BluRay and HD-gaming abilities (without them it's a PS2 LOL, sorry).

3. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

the 360 comes with a combined composite-component cable (the core only with composite)
    and in europe i guess thy are packing in a composite ->scart adapter

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wow didnt this all get posted a few days ago... :rolleyes:

5. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

well that was the news that the ps3 doesn't come bundled with HDMI cable

this news says that it won't come with component either and thus you can add up additional bucks if you want to view it in all it's glory

6. iGav macrumors G3

Reminds me of the days when you didn't get a keyboard or mouse with a Mac, or a stereo with a Mercedes for that matter. :p

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

me being wii bit thick

[​IMG]

a d-cable is that a VGA cable or somthing else? Never heard of it being called a d-cable in UK or Ireland before... :eek:

8. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

10. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

Ugh. You drop $600 on a PS3 and they can't even cut you a break on outdated component video? There's nothing fancy about it, 75ohm coax RCA's have been manufactured since the 70's. How much can that possibly cost to produce?

The gaming industry is out of control. $20 dollar power cables (zip cord), $80 Monster Cables (read bulk rate cable with fancy looking connectors), $65 games, $1000 gaming bundles on GameStop/EB, $400+ consoles, $100 WiFi addons, $5 discounts on used games....

When are gaming consumers going to wise up? We're getting fleeced.

11. savar macrumors 68000

savar

The prices being charged for cables are absurd. Monster is the biggest crook around. What really gets me worked up though is how expensive the cables are for digital connections. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't HDMI and S-PDIF both digital connections? Then why do they start at $60 for a 3ft cable? If it works, it works. There's no need for a super-premium cable.

12. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm pretty sure even digital connections can be affected by cable interference. That is what premium cables are supposed to prevent with a thicker gauge, better quality, wire as well as good shielding/insulation.

Not that prices are still too expensive, but a good cable can make all the difference.

13. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I saw a varient of this on another forum and it was too good not to post here...
    Seriously though, I wonder how many people will never hook their PS3's to their HDTV's correctly (they'll assume Sony would have included everything they need for "True HD")... HAHAHAHAHAHA ;) suckers

14. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

Agreed. Actually, Monster HDMI was $150 last I checked at Best Buy, and that was their shorter cheapo model. It's ridiculous, no respectable cable company will sell you a 6 foot length for more than 60 bucks.

EDIT: For those who are interested, Best Cables on the Planet for the Buck

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

haha, yup. Reminds me when I got into the piano, so my folks bought me a top of the line keyboard for my room for Christmas. The day comes - low and behold the distributors had 'accidentally' removed the plug! I had to wait till after new years to play my new keyboard.

then again, at least PS3 players will be able to play their product still ;)

16. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Irritating that Sony isn't at least including the cheap component cables like I got with my 360, but if I've got the cash and inclination to spend $600 for a console, probably $50 for a 2nd wireless controller, and another $200 on three games, dropping $60-80 for some cheap component cable [no HDMI on my current 720p/1080i RPTV] from Sony isn't gonna stop me. Par for the course with Sony, eh?:rolleyes: