PS3 kicks Xbox 360 Butt!

Discussion in 'Games' started by iriejedi, May 17, 2005.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

well it does visually - but Xbox more versitile..... read on!

By Gamepro Staff, GamePro MacCentralTue May 17,11:58 AM ET

Much to the surprise of journalists, Sony came out with a bang at their pre-E3 conference on Monday. What started off as a dull series of generic demos and videos quickly turned into a jaw-dropping demonstration of the PlayStation 3’s capabilities -- completely overshadowing Microsoft’s subsequent Xbox 360 press event.

Sony pulled out all stops, revealing the look of the console, specs, and launch date. Slated for release in Spring 2006, the PlayStation 3 features a PowerPC-base core running at 3.2 GHz, 256MB of XDR RAM at 3.2 GHz, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM at 700 MHz, Bluetooth wireless controllers, built in WiFi (802.11b/g), and RSX, a state-of-the-art next-gen GPU by Nvidia with a clock speed of 550 MHz. Similar to the Xbox 360, the GPU is able to freely access the 512MB of RAM, lacking the constraints seen in conventional PCs. And continuing its tradition, the console is backwards compatible -- as is the Xbox 360.

While techno-geeks can ponder forever the potential ramifications of the specs, Sony spoke most clearly through its impressive demos (both tech and also of actual games), showing the potent console at work. Make no mistake: the PlayStation 3 is utterly superior in graphics to the Xbox 360 from what has been shown.

What really set the PS3 apart from the 360 was its lighting and shadow effects. The first tech demo showed light absorption and subsurface refraction, highlighting how different surfaces react differently to lighting. For example, skin reflected a warmer glow due to the light being partially absorbed, while the eyes give off a realistically glassy reflection. The lighting model was advanced enough to even show high-intensity light glowing through the body (much as you’d see when you cover a strong light source with your fingers). Game demos such as Fight Night Round 3 implemented other graphics-hog effects such as soft shadows (where shadow edges look blurry at a distance). And like the 360, the PS3 also had bloom effects, light flooding and bump mapping.

While each effect in of itself is subtle, when all combined the added ambiance is noticeably improved from what’s seen in top-end PC graphics. The PS3 also seemed to have significantly more complex polygonal models than the Xbox 360. While the 360’s rather disappointing Ghost Recon 3 looked like a minor facelift from Ghost Recon 2, Killzone on the PlayStation 3 was an eye-opener -- undoubtedly the most beautiful looking FPS game to date (Quake 3 and Half-Life 2 pale in comparison). When comparing the graphics between the 360 and the PS3, the latter has graphics that are true to the phrase "next-generation" while the 360 seems more like a respectable upgrade (say, the jump from PS One to PS2) from the original Xbox.

The main concern with the PlayStation 3, however, is the controller design. Onlookers quickly adopted the description of "boomerang" as the controller featured exaggerated curves and arcs. Disconcertingly, the buttons and d-pads are slightly tilted, recalling the sour experiences with Microsoft’s ergonomically disastrous Sidewinder. Analog thumbsticks look largely unchanged from the PlayStation 2, another point of concern. From a surface assessment, the Xbox 360 looks to have the better controller.

On the brighter side, the design of the PS3 console itself is minimalist and sleek in an industrial, Bose sort of way. The console is convex as opposed to concave, interestingly enough -- whether or not Sony deliberately made an opposite design decision to Microsoft is unknown. While Sony and Microsoft seem to want to elicit different emotions from their console designs (Sony’s cold, brushed aluminum cool versus Microsoft’s soft and fun), Sony yet again wins out with a more aesthetically alluring console.

Although the 360 looks inferior to the PS3 in terms of sheer hardware capabilities, Microsoft’s console stands out from Sony’s with its mass-market appeal. Serving as a game console, Tivo, one-stop source for on-demand media (MP3s, movies, music), video chat service, the Xbox 360 seems far more versatile than the PS3 -- potentially drawing in a much more diverse audience. Slides even showed the console to be potentially compatible with rival electronics such as the iPod and PSP. Sony by contrast didn’t focus much on the media functionality of the console; it did show its compatibility with a whole slew of CD and DVD formats, but the PS3 doesn’t seem to have DVD burning functionality.

Microsoft’s big investment for the Xbox 360 is online with Xbox Live, and Microsoft showed itself to be better prepared for out-of-the-box network features. While a lot of the presentation rehashed what had previously been announced, J Allard also expanded on the marketplace functionality, saying that gamers can potentially sell their goods to other gamers online (custom T-shirts, car parts). Sony’s explanation of its online functionality was relatively brief, the only revelation being the use of an Eyetoy-like device for HD IP camera. While Sony may come out with more concrete information about online, for now Microsoft has shown to be more forward thinking with respect to online gaming.

Still, in the end Sony stole the attention for the day. Microsoft’s spark was clearly fizzling when it made its surprise announcement toward the end of its press event about working together with Square Enix& to bring Final Fantasy XI (of all games, one that’s already been released on PC and PS2) on the 360. Comparing that to the announcement of Final Fantasy XII being released on the PlayStation 3 (not to mention Metal Gear Solid 4 and Devil May Cry 4), it seems Japanese developers are still holding their cards closer to Sony.

Click here for all of today's news at MacCentral.

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

My gosh. That article is incredibly biased when we get to features, sorry.

Okay, PS3 too.

Microsoft has made no mention of the capability of recording TV. Where did they get this from?

Wow, EXACT same capabilities as the PS3...

Wow, exact same service as the PS3 except we know Microsoft charges for video chat while Sony has made no mention of charging.

Only in your mind... :rolleyes:

PS3 is iPod and PSP compatible as well. It *may* have iTunes integration in fact, and the PSP can be used as a controller so it has even BETTER support.

LOL

Neither does the XBox 360.

In short; this article failed to finish reading the PS3 specs...

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

ZZZzZZZZzZZZzzZZZ
    You can go on about specs all day long but it's the games that make the console!
    I'm going to reserve my judgement until i see the two consoles working with my own eyes. And see what games are coming out on each platform.
    I think we'll begin to see fewer and fewer titles released that actually both use all the power of these consoles and are truly good games, due to having to spend so much developer time into all these new graphics devices. Just look at how long Half-Life 2 took to be developed!

4. sonyrules macrumors regular

Oh yeah, The PS3 is got the graphic advantage over the xbox, without a dought. I am more worried about game play and how the controllers feel... I am sure sony will not have to worry about losing market share...

5. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Me personally - Xbox will win

I agree - I was initially dissapointed with this article - and I think PS3 may have had the better marketing group (better demo dump at E3 in retalliation for Xbox;s MTV stunt a wek earlier) - but all my PS2 friends (I'm **sigh**an M$ Xbox guy) bragged that PS2 was WAY better than the Xbox.... until they came over....

So time will tell but despite this article I still think Xbox 360 will be a winner!.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I’m reminded of the last scene in “Trading Places”, when Coleman (formerly the butler) asks his new female friend if she wants lobster or cracked crab for lunch.

Her reply: "Can’t we have both?”

I'll probably pick up the 360 to give me something to do until the PS3 is on the market.

7. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

There's no doubt in my mind that the xbox beats the ps2 hands down. (in terms of power in just about every way)
    Just play Brothers In Arms on both platforms to see this.

But it's the games. I recon Half-Life 2 will actually come out on Xbox 2 (i'm still not happy about this "360" crap), which is a bonus, and also MS have a large xbox developer base now, so the race will be a tight one indeed. Add in the xbox will come out first, i think a lot of people will buy both.

It seems to me that "The PS3 graphics beats the pants off the xbox" in SO not true, the true quote right now is "the current demos of the PS3 have graphics that beat the pants off the demos of the xbox".

I'm not going to buy until after the inevitable price drops, or if i have a lot of spare cash, but if they're backwards-compatible, I'm more likely to gat an xbox, not even owning a ps2. I have tons of xbox games now - something i never thought would happen!

8. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html

Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer," which is based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision and 1080p resolution--some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512MB of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has more than 300 million transistors, larger than any processor commercially available today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process, with eight layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1,000 total if purchased today.

9. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Just wanted to say..

I HATE the PS controllers! They suck compared to xbox IMO. The thumbsticks give no feedback and the buttons feel cheap. When i'm playing on the ps2 with friends i find it really hard to get used to them.

10. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

k.....

1. GFL nice counterpost

2. Has anyone considered another dreamcast effect, the most powerful system for a year but everyone willing to wait for the more powerful system.

3. Take a look at this, Killzone 2 vid brilliant graphics.
    http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/killzone2/index.html?tag=mp_2to9

4. Also you can never count your eggs before they hatch we are still waiting for the 3ghz G5 :eek:

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

and by the end of the day Super Nintendo is still the best console ever created.

12. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

All this argument over which system is better is making me sick. I'm going to go fire up the old Atari 2600. :p

13. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Yeah but you know what, I wouldn't be surprised if the gang at Redmond actually want Sony to pack everything but the kitchen sink in their platform because if Sony will really blow us away with superior specs, they will also blow either our's or their bank accounts away, too. Price points will be key, and I bet Sony will lose more money per console than MS no how they price the PS3.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

For 1, thanks :D

For 2...

Here's a GREAT article highlighting why the XBox 360 is lining itself up for the Dreamcast effect.
    http://weblog.bbzzdd.com/archives/000834.html

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

And the Revolution can play SNES games :D

Methinks its Sony vs Nintendo again.

16. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Can anyone confirm/deny if the KillZone2 video is a true real-time rendering from the PS3, or is that thing a pre-rendered video playback?

Now, no need to tell me the actual gameplay/camera movements are pre-made, all I want to know is if the PS3 is really rendering the images in real-time or not.

17. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

To be honest I doubt it! I would be surprised at this point that the hardware has existed for long enough for someone to create that world, with the physics, lighting etc for the next-gen technology already in place by now.
    I think this was probably created as an example of what the PS3 CAN do.

Anyway, how many PS2 ads have you seen on TV where all the footage is from in-game cut sequences!

18. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Well, I've read they already had KillZone2 in developpement for the PS2, they simply ported it all to the PS3. If that's the case, it could mean this is a real PS3 render of the game and not a pre-rendered video...

If the PS3 really is that powerful, then it'll easily win over the Xbox 360 (PS/Xbox owners are mostly specs-only players). Nintendo is fine as long as they make new, refreshed versions of their flagship games (Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Donkey Kong).

KillZone2 will suck though, if it can only be played with a stupid gamepad+analog sticks... We need keypad+mouse options for the next generation consoles! Or at least something a lot less touchy than those stupid analog pads!

19. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

spoken like a true fanboy.

Please sir enlighten me as to why PS3 will easily win ove rthe xbox 360 because it can do graphics like that. Are you implying that the xbox360 can't do the same thing too?

btw, it most likely is real time.(Why the hell would they show a prerendered video??)

20. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

There is a whole thread on this trailer, that pretty much disproves the trailer as real in-game footage.

21. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Xbox and Playstation owners are usually only driven by the specs. And from what I've seen from both the Xbox360 and the PS3 so far, not only does the Xbox360 looks like a joke (almost "Xbox 1.2"), the PS3 has graphics so far ahead of it, it's almost insulting for Xbox fanboys.

As for the pre-rendered video, it's happened before. A lot of people will be dissapointed if KillZone doesn't look anything near as good as that.

22. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Because they need to create a buzz at E3 to take away from xbox, and they don't have anything else to go on.

23. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

God i dont know what to think of all these new consoles. I belive that the PS3 will end up kicking all the other's but but i hope that the 360 and Revolution can create something great like the Revs old games! (that it's self if they can pull it off will make me get one). I keep on telling my non-tech friends/ xbox lovers that the PS3 has 35-50% more prossesing power but they dont belive that :confused:. Also if any of you have looked at the actual Keynote (or what ever you call it) the duck simulation and the real CG footage is AMAZING!

PS: anyone know why engadget's down? thats where i go for all the new news :(

24. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

From Xbox Site here
    So sounds like a 20GB drive comes as standard then?

Anyway, my point is the two sets of specs look VERY similar to me. This video is so pre-rendered at this point. I think the performance of the two consoles will be a very close thing.

25. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Pre-render or not, I'll like anything that prevents Microsoft from getting a foothold into the living rooms...