[PS3] Lair: 4 Gigs for 1 level. Can't be done on 360.

Discussion in 'Games' started by P-S-3, Sep 23, 2006.

1. P-S-3 macrumors member

[​IMG]

Wow, looks like more and more developers are taking use of Blu-ray. Lair will be in 1080p Native and take 4 gigs per level! Developer says it couldn't be done on 360.

"IGN: What advantage does Blu-ray afford you now? Everyone talks about how great the extra storage space is but are you actually using it for Lair?

Eggebrecht: The single level at TGS alone takes up 4 Gigabytes of data. We are using every ounce of that due to streaming of our textures. Sure you could chop them all down to tiny sizes and we would fit, but then again, it would not be the same game. In addition to all the textures and geometry, we also do have video on the disc, and all of that is in native 1080p resolution. Thanks to Blu-Ray we don't need to worry about that and can still fit the whole game on a single disk. "

"IGN: Quick Fanboy wars question -- Could Lair be done under its current spec on the Xbox 360? If so, why go with the PlayStation 3 "only" instead of going cross-platform?

Eggebrecht: Lair in its current form couldn't be done on 360. We are using large amounts of Cell's SPUs for all of our geometry, landscape, simulations, animations, even troop AI."

More of the Interview:
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733921p5.html

2. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

4GB for one level..... i hope they are big, and those graphics must rule!

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Okay but I'm sure if MS dished out some money they could chop it up and everything would be fine...well they did say in its present state...Unless the games are giving extra "stuff" for using BR then I see no need for them to mention how much space it occupies.

Bless

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

uh oh....this could get ugly *braces for fanboy flame wars*

5. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

If that picture above is an actual screenshot, I think I might wet myself :eek:

6. P-S-3 thread starter macrumors member

It is...

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What i find more telling is

So a lot of that is 1080p video. Which makes you wonder how much of that level is 4gb as I watched the full video and there was a hell of a lot of cutscenes.

Please note because the video is 1080p does not mean the gameplay sections will be. They may be 720p and simply upscaled like 1080i, and the video could be the only thing on it thats at 1080p

So your statement P-S-3 about it being 1080p native 'maybe' misleading, but it certainly looks interesting.

It wasnt on my list of to get ps3 titles, so i'll wait and see what it's like when it surfaces.

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Resistance: Fall of Man currently takes 22 gigabytes of space. I wonder if Sony is paying them to say 'couldn't be done on 360' ;)

9. ictiosapiens macrumors regular

Do those 4 gb represent all the textures and so on, or just cutscenes and such? If its textures and such, don't all those need to be loaded into memory? If so, won't the loading times be a tad long?

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wrong. But you may be right.

The initial batches of screenshots were "enhanced", but then some other shots were leaked and the game looked much less. Or am I mistaking it for another game? I remember seeing Factor 5's name and jagged dragons not too long ago.

Oh and that claim is wrong. It's not 4gb for 1 level. It's 4gb for the engine, the graphics and the 1 level. Eggebrecht even said himself that "the demo is 4gb". So there we have it.
    What I also find interesting, I don't think we'll be seeing many downloaded PS3 demos. 4gb for a demo? Well there we go for half the UK's internet connection that should take us about a few days of full speed downloading.
    HELLO LOAD TIMES!

Why are Factor 5 so hit and miss? Turrican, Rogue Leader. but then they had Looney Tunes games and now this Panzer Dragoon and Rogue Leaders bastard lovechild. hmm.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

A Reaction To 360

At the end of the day that's all this & RFOM claim are

A reaction to the 360. No longer can we claim 1080p exclusive, so the
    only difference we can latch onto is the BR storage space.

As I said that 4gb includes a lot of 1080p video. Just download the big gameplay demos on IGN Insider.

When a game like Lost Odyssey looks better than Lair, and
    Gears of War - every bit looks as good if not better graphically than Resistance Fall of Man, then you have to ask yourself are these claims really accurate ?

After all if developers are able to squeeze just as good or better graphics onto a DVD it makes you wonder why on earth these developers need this massive space.

In the end it's all going to come down to 1080p video streams. Bung a 720p and 480p video of the cutscene onto their too and the space you need suddenly jumps up experientially.

PS3 will be great, and have some Killer games. But the fact that the size of the games is taking more precident over the quality of the content or gameplay is ominous.

Sony we know it's got BluRay - were 'over it' so stop trying to justify it by making these radical claims that in practice are total BS. With only 512 mb of ram, shared between CPU & GPU there's no way in reality you can be squeezing gig's worth of textures per level.

Even if you could stream that amount of data, remember disc speed is only 1 or 2 x with BluRay so it would still bottleneck the system.

So please lets move on, give us awesome games and gameplay. Big sizes DO NOT A GOOD GAME make.......

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

i think the game sound pretty good jimmi :p stop hating so much jeez

and MRU, to be fair, Resistance IS a launch game (even if it is a year later) and GoW has had all the finalized system stuff for quite some time now. Plus, aren't they a much bigger studio that Insomniac is (ie. more money to spend, bigger staff, more this, more that?) Not to mention developers seem to be saying the learning curve on the PS3 is a lot higher than on the 360 so you can't expect gold on day 1.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If the game was something more than a rip off of 2 very good games then yes, I wouldn't hate. But what have I seen? a few screenshots. If these people want any other kind of reaction then a few trailers or new screenshots would be nice, along with some gameplay details. oh and 4gb for 1 level, if true then yey! A nice 6-10 level game would be so awesome!!!!!

Panzer Dragoon meets Rogue Leader. I'd like some originality with a £60 game please.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Jimmi that's not fair. You cant judge a book by its cover, nor a game from a few trailer videos and screenshots.

Yes it may be an amalgamation of 2 excellent games, but heck there are other games than just those that you could say inspired it such as Drakan games.

Besides there may be some awesome gameplay in the game and it may be highly entertaining, we'll have to wait and see before condemning it before its even finished or out.

15. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

jimmi is this was on Wii you would be so stoked your head would spin :p

on a side note, does anyone else know GoW is only supposed to be 10 hours long? :( after hearing about 100 hour Zelda i was hoping more next-gen games would offer more than a weekend of gameplay

16. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

He ain't hatin', he's telling it like it is. All Jimmi said was that he doubted the PS3 was as uber as it claimed to be. ;)

And perhaps not, but with the PS3 fans claiming it's so much better then the competition, shouldn't we therefore be seeing stuff that's correspondingly better as well? And when we don't, or it's fudged to look like it is shouldn't we be suspicious?

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

oh i dont care if he is hating on the PS3, its the popular think to whine about nowadays(even if it does deserve a lot of it) i mean him hating on this game despite reading an article and looking at a few screen shots, gotta give things a chance...

18. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Ah. Okeydokey then.

I'll give the game a chance if there's a playable demo. I greatly enjoyed Rogue Leader, so if I ever pick up a PS3 hopefully this'll have a demo.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Unfair comparison

To be honest 10 hours of an all out actioner shooter is about as long as you could possibly drag the premise before you began getting uber repetative.

An RPG is much slower, apparently a lot of the new Zelda's time length is in crossing the ever expanding and gorgeous hyrule. Then there's all the dialogue etc. that you have to plow through; and running back and forth to people to accomplish fetch and go tasks before you even get to a proper dungeon.

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^ I guess... I'm not saying i expected GoW to be 100 hours long, just when i hear 100 hours, then 10 hours...just seems so small you know? I get the feeling that developers can geta way with making games short/not adding a ton of replay value into single player because they can say "oh! but our multiplayer section is amazing!" *coughhalo2cough* well it may be, but I don't like multiplayer online, trash talking 11 year olds (who are freakishly good) and cheap tactics that rule online gaming turns me off :p

21. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Lair is a great looking game but lets be honest it is being published & distributed by SCEA and it was never coming out on the 360! Could it be done on the 360 well I'm pretty sure SCEA would never say so, and considering the OPs nick well yeah can you say fanboy?

Like everything with the PS3 though I'll wait until I've had a chance to actually see 1 before I make up my mind.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Tell me about it. Unfortunetly with all the consoles going online it looks like its going to be harder to avoid those annoying kiddies - screaming , singing and just being annoying period.

I must say though, thanks to Xbox Live I have met loads of irish gamers I never would have done so before, and made a lot of offline friends through it, as well as online. We even have nights out every couple of months so all the people who play on live can get together for a drink and the 'craic' .....

I really love this side of Xbox 360 and to me it has been the defining part of this new generation for me. I hope PS3 & Wii will add to that...

23. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

we should do a MR's XBL sometime, pick a game, get some of the guys/gals on and let the trash talking begin. Only probably is so many of you 'blokes' are from the UK, that those of us in the USA/Canada won't understand a word you say :D

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As long as I talk like a typical leprechaun 'Top o the morning to you Sikkinixx, holy mary mother of god, ye not getting your hands on me lucky charms' and such. and all the uk guys and girls speak like Eliza DoLittle and Dick Van Dyke, you should be fine :D :D :D :D

25. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

sweet! would you really?! :D