[PS3] Limited stock and its still not selling!?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

If this isn't a sign of bad things for PS3 I don't know what is... a local store here actually has them in stock. Several 20GB models.

So I thought to myself, "maybe I should buy these, and eBay them" but before I did I went home and checked what they were selling for.

People were lucky to get $599 out of these $499 models. Now that sounds like a $100 profit, but it isn't. You have a good $40 in eBay/PayPal fees as well as nearly $40 in tax, that is a $19 profit... IF you managed to sell at $599. Most were going for $530-$575, effectively causing the sellers to LOSE money.

I thought this might be just the 20GB models, but it's not, the 60GB models weren't selling for much of a difference.

With Wiis still selling for over $500 on eBay (I watched one end yesterday at $715) this really seems to show the lack of consumer interest in PS3. I thought it was going to be bad, but not THIS bad.

I can walk into a store and buy a PS3, but I can't get a Wii for the life of me. And yet Nintendo has had MUCH more stock then Sony, a good 10X more Wiis have been shipped over PS3 but somehow I can't get them.

Is PS3 honestly bombing this bad? What gives?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I'm as surprised as you... guess the hype bubble is popping much more quickly than any of us thought it would.

I played on the PS3 at one of the local Best Buys last week, and I have to say I wasn't impressed. There is honestly NO reason at this point why I would consider buying one, even at retail.

3. mkaake macrumors 65816

I had a hard time believing it, so I just checked it out myself:

A premium 60 gig PS3, in box, in hand...

$690.

Wow. Only a $90 premium.

Wii, ended same time. In box, in hand.

$415. $165 premium.

Didn't see that one coming two weeks ago... day after Wii release, you could pick them up for $10 over retail, whereas the PS3 was pretty crazy...

4. darkwing macrumors 65816

I've been calling a local GameStop (The Gateway in Salt Lake City) who told me they'd be in yesterday. They didn't come in, so I called today at 1:15 and they said they're going through the shipment now... told me to call in like 25 mins. So I did, and they told me they got 4 in and sold them before they took them out of the box. Customers already in store get first dibs.

I guess those of us who work for a living are out of luck.

Nobody wants the 20s. Sony should have learned from Microsoft and not bothered.

I will buy a PS3 and a Wii, but I see Nintendo either releasing another system that can do HDTV or some kind of add-on in a couple years. Even with all of Sony's stupidity lately, I think leaving HDTV out of a next-gen system was the stupidest thing of all.

5. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

I cant believe what has happened with the PS3's either. I've been trying to sell them for a almost a week now. Ive looked at ebay but it looks more and more like there going back to the store. Its hard to believe these were selling for those ridiculous prices a couple of weeks ago. Does no one really want the PS3? :confused:

6. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I was in GameStop a few weeks ago and they had the Xbox 360 and PS3 setup right next to eachother. To tell you the truth, I can't see anything better with the PS3 that wasn't already in the 360. (BluRay, but I'm not buying into either system until one of them wins) Anyway, I'm not surprised they are selling for just above retail on Ebay.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

It just occurred to me that many of the PS3 "scalpers" may have forgotten that people were already shocked at how high the RETAIL price of the PS3 is... add your scalper's premium on top of that, and you're surprised that people aren't going for them? Only a real fanboy (Xbox 360, PS3, or Wii) would drop 1.5x retail or more to get a console right at the launch.

The difference is that the 360 was much cheaper, even at scalpers' prices, than the PS3... and the 360 was also much less of a "letdown" in terms of overpromising and underdelivering. In fact, I'm pretty sure there weren't any articles during the 360's launch that called it a failure in any way... but there certainly have been for the PS3.

8. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

What in the world makes people think that nintendo will release an upgrade that will fundamentally change the native output of their console? I hear this talking point all over the web - I mean seriously, apart from their handhelds, when has Nintendo EVER upgraded their home consoles (the Q doesn't count - it was more of a novelty console - not a replacement)?

9. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Exactly, and you figure in $80 in taxes and listing fees and they only made $10 of that 60GB PS3.

So to the person talking about the PS3 getting sold fast, check eBay for yourself, 60GB PS3s aren't going fast... and people are still buying them to SELL them for a profit, probably not realizing they aren't going to make much.

You really don't know if the 4 PS3s that were sold were sold because they wanted them, or if they were hoping for a good profit.

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

No one wants the 20Gb version so... besides Im sure there are a lot of people like me who have just decided to wait and a while and get one once they are somewhat in regular supply. I played it at Bestbuy and I got the urge to buy one again. Although I can see it collecting dust like my 360 has (about an inch thick by now)

I LOVE that the ebay thing has bombed so quickly. A big **** you to the scalpers, hopefully most lose money so this gongshow won't repeat itself next system launch (although Im sure it will).

And to clayj, dude the 360 launch sucked. Aside from CoD2 there was hardly a reason to get excited for the games...and then none came out for months :mad: The PS3 one has been many times worse but I hardly call the 360 one a success. All those dead systems, supply problems, etc, it was a crap show unless you had a pre-order or got lucky as hell.

11. ericsthename macrumors regular

I guess the general apathy towards the PS3 by a lot of real gamers is probably part of the problem. I know personally I would've liked to have had a PS3 on launch day, but the more I think about it, the PS3 doesnt have a selling point for someone in my position.

I already have and XBOX360, because I consider myself a serious gamer I couldn't pass up getting in on NExtgen as soon as possible. The nintendo wii on the other hand presents some interesting scenarios that do interest me.

I would buy a wii JUST for mario. Zelda has yet to truly capture my attention, but I'm sure it will... The PS3 on the other hand doesnt have a hardware advantage over the 360, and it's a good year behind in software - a lead that may never elapse.

In my opinion, the only way the 360 could slip behind is if HDDVD suddenly drops the ball and goes extinct - and even then theres no saying that MSFT couldnt just turn around and sell an external Blueray drive...

I dunno, the PS3 may be a beautiful machine, but it currently lacks a reason to be. I don't discount Sony out of this at any point though - it's just bizarre to me how they've gone and burned so many bridges.

12. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

HDDVD is already on the fall-out. The PS3 offers an all-in-one solution in a more elegant package. Blu-Ray is the winning format- thus making the PS3 better. Granted, it always takes one or two years for game manufacturers to catch up, but that's beside the point. Honestly, there aren't any games that take advantage of the xbox's full capabilities either. I do agree that I am very surprised how much PS3 sales have subsided.

13. ericsthename macrumors regular

In that case, we should start spreading the news quick, because nobody else seems to have been privvy to this info!

14. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

It's not like FOX and MGMDisney just signed on to Blu-Ray or something :rolleyes:

15. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It's not like you're making unsupported statements and treating them as fact, much like Sony itself. Plus, check another thread on here for stuff about how HD-DVD is beating the pants out of Blu-ray.

16. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Exactly. Technologically, I'd love to see Blu-ray win. It's nice when the best format actually prevails. Unfortunately both formats are severely crippled with DRM, Blu-ray in particular, and from what I've heard the HD-DVD transfers have been far superior in quality thus far.

It's not looking good for Sony's format. Again. How do they keep screwing this up?

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You've gotta be kidding me. HD-DVD's sales numbers have CLOBBERED Blu-ray.

What's with Blu-ray fanboys? Seriously, I don't get it. Frankly, while I'm leaning towards HD-DVD, I don't really care who wins. I think because Apple made some announcement about supporting Blu-ray, a bunch of people suddenly blindly like it.

Blu-ray is currently the losing product. They sell less players and they sell less movies.

18. mkaake macrumors 65816

Not according to sales numbers, no.

I suppose that's a matter of opinion, so you're entitled to it...

No, it's not - there is no winner yet, and HDDVD is ahead. And storage medium a gaming console does not make.

Yeah, I was shocked watching that 60 gig auction earlier. It jumped from 620 to 690 in the last minute, but it stopped there.

And re: format wars, I'm not a fan of MS at all, but I appreciate the 'add-on' nature of HDDVD for the console. As a person who won't be purchasing an HD set for some time, not tacking $200 onto the console price is nice. Plus, if HDDVD ends up being a dud, I won't have spent that money on the format that lost. That's the real burn with the PS3 I've never been able to get over - if the format fails, the high cost of the PS3 was for nothing. If it succeeds, great... but then, if it succeeds, I'll be able to pick up a blu-ray player in about 3 years (When the format war will likely be settling down) for under $200.

Eh, no sense in getting stuck into a format that I don't plan on using for another few years anyway.

</rant>

19. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The Q wasn't even made by Nintendo - I think that makes it the world's first 3rd-party console? :p

20. ericsthename macrumors regular

I can fully appreciate the aesthetic and engineering benefits of having the Blueray drive built-in, but on the other hand I can also appreciate how having an external player has benefitted the consumer this time around... Admittedly there are several ways of looking at the situation but hey, thats what makes it all the more interesting

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Don't really care about HD-DVD or blu-ray....I might have both in the future so I couldn't give a rats arse.

I'm glad the ebay thing didn't went well beacause there is no way I'm paying more than retail for a console...I don't care if its powered by dual core 7 with 20 SPEs.

This makes getting a PS3 better for me but this is the 20gig we are talking about here so meh...

Bless

22. pcypert macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was bummed. My wife and I thought maybe we could buy one of the PS3's here in Bangkok and sell it on e*** for a premium and it would pay to fly her home to see her folks. Glad we didn't get one or we'd be stuck with it :)

I'll be darned if I'm going to be stuck with that over a Xbox 360 or Wii

Paul

23. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

It's because it sounds cooler and is easier to say, DUH.

:rolleyes:

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wow the Sony boys are really deluding themselves.

Posted in another thread but seemingly needed here too

--------------

HD-DVD sales are 11 - 1 over BluRay. Argue all you like, but you cant argue with the retail figures.

HD-DVD at this present time is kicking BluRay's arse.

It currently uses the better advanced compression system and is giving a better experience than BluRay.

Disney who were advocates of BluRay have now decided to hold back to the later part of 2007, and are re-considering HD-DVD.

and as for games and consumer satisfaction

and further proof PS3 may not be helping BluRay

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thus ending the thoughts that BluRay is somehow winning.

See, this is what happens when you don't release good games. Sony can stick in all the components in the world into their machine, but the system is a games machine. It is bought to play games. When there are no games - nobody cares. Regardless of "potential", as Sony once called it.

I also laugh at their attempts to rush such a console to market just because they couldn't miss another Christmas. What the hell have their devs been doing for the past couple of years?