PS3 Market Value at Launch

Discussion in 'Games' started by sarcosis, Sep 24, 2006.

1. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Well now. We have a MSRP for $499 and $599. That's what Sony is reccomending and retail outlets will surely use that as a benchmark.

The real question is this, how much is this thing really going to go for? We know that NA is only going to get 400K systems. Now during christmas, this is going to be hot just because it's christmas. So what's the eBay price on this puppy. I'm guessing that it's going to be around $2K atleast. The XBox 360 was going for that at launch window. I can see the PS3 going for that easily. Also the price will inflate because of the short supply.

Personally, i'm going to get a Wii and laugh as this goes on, cuz you know it's going to happen.

2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Anyone who pays $2000 for a game console needs to get their head examined.

3. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

But, it's not a console...it's a SUPERCOMPUTER!

4. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

hahahaha, that would be ridiculous. I bet the people that bought the 360 for that much are kicking themselves now because they can just walk into bestbuy and get one....As for the PS3, I will not be getting one at launch, and I sure as heck won't be getting one for 2000 dollars. Sony had me salivating til that price point was announced, I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment. Oh well, November should be interesting.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

There will be people that really want the system at launch and will pay close to that amount...I rather wait until its in full supply.

Bless

6. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I've thought about buying a system and a game or two at launch so I can turn it around and make a nice profit on ebay. Worst case scenario is that I get my money back on ebay, but hopefully I'll get a lot more.

I might even buy two systems, because there will always be people that will pay more than retail on ebay.

:)

7. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

yea, how dumb does someone have to be to buy a console for $2000 when they retail for a quarter of that. god, are people really that impatient?

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

if I dont get one on launch, im gonna hunt you down and kick the snot outta you for being greedy :p :cool: (and then take both systems)

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I've thought of doing this too, but I won't have the 600 to pay for the system in the first place.

10. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Tell ya what, if you don't get one on launch I'll let ya have one of mine for $1500, and I'll even throw in free shipping. ;)

11. vvv macrumors newbie

Just like the G4 cube was a supercomputer, right?

12. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Don't diss the supersmall, supercool supercomputer :cool: I think that's right - too lazy to go get manuals

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm definitely going to take the morning off work when the PS3 launches and swing into all the local electronics stores, just in case. I live in a medium sized city, so we should get a decent allotment of PS3s, but it's just a matter of if they are all held for pre-orders, put into crazy bundles, snagged by employees, etc.

I will put it onto eBay that day, of course, and hope to turn a enough profit to get a Wii and some games, plus a nice t-bone and a beer. :D And something nice for my wife, so she doesn't feel left out.

Sony should just eBay them all off directly. Why not? It'd be good press, no company has ever done that before. No one could grip about the price - they could start bidding at $0.01, and whatever it sells for would be decided by the market. They wouldn't have to take a loss on the systems that way, and there wouldn't be any people profiteering (like me), stores forcing obscene bundles onto people, or people being mugged for the thing on the way out the store.

In fact, if I was the head of Sony marketing, I wouldn't have announced a price. Just an eBay schedule... "we're gonna sell 100k/month on eBay until next summer, when production is high enough to get them into stores in decent number. There will be no MSRP until then. Thanks for coming to the show, here's some pre-rendered CGI trailers of games."

14. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

anyone that would pay $600 for a game console needs to get their head examined-- let alone $2000.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Anyone that would pay $600 for a console needs to look at the 3DO, CD-i and the Saturn.

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    :rolleyes:You could also say anyone willing to pay 250 for a suped up wii with a motion sensing controller needs to have their head examined. Nothing useful to say? Then don't say anything.

I've told my father about the PS3 and even he's considering buying one to get it onto ebay. Why not? It would help him finish his basement, that's for sure. I'm not really sure If I'm going to get one until after christmas simply because there's only one launch game I want, plus I want to get my HDTV by then...

17. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

600? wasn't that the price of 6 neo geo games? And the system was like a thousand dollars right?

18. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Wow. That was fast. :(

[​IMG]

I guess I'll need to have my head doubly examined because I'm interested in both consoles. Should I take offense?

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nah its always best to get a second opinion ;) :p

Oni wasnt meaning offense, he was just posting to a blanket statement. :)

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

ok fine, if I don't get a PS3 at MSRP on launch, i'm gonna be like Jay and Silent Bob from J&SB Strike Back. I'll take out a loan, buy some plane tickets and come and kick the snot outta all of you people who are gonna make it that much harder to get the damn system. And yes, I realize I could just take that loan and buy a $2000 system off eBay but it wouldnt be nearly as satisfying :p

21. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Maybe instead you should try equally as hard to get on at launch and sell it on eBay as well. Then when the next batch come in you can pick it up, plus a bunch of games... maybe even a new 1080p HDTV as well. Sounds like a smart move to me! :D

22. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Dude, you so stole my line! :D

23. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

no, while the money WOULD be nice, its being a prick to everyone who actually wants one, and doesnt have a rich mommy/daddy to pay 2000$ for one :p

24. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It's not that I was making a blanket statement, buddy. Thanks for looking out. :) I was just basically lettin him know that if he were to say such a thing in a room I was in he'd get his teeth kicked out, that's all. :D

25. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Actually only those WITH a rich mommy/daddy would be getting a PS3 at launch anyway, so who would it actually hurt? Answer: nobody! ;)