PS3 Media Server and Stuttering?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by northy124, Dec 16, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2007
    I have gotten a new PS3 and I have decided to use it as media player for my iTunes purchases and encodes (DRM removed) however it seems to stutter... no matter what the file is it stutters.

I get that 1080p will stutter over WiFi but 720p and 480p? :eek: could they be transcoding despite not needing to be? if I find an ethernet cable and plug that in will help with stuttering?

Is there anyway to transfer the files directly to the PS3? that would be a lot easier IMO.

2. macrumors member

Dec 5, 2012
    I used to put all video files in MP4 format using Vuze torrent dowloading software to convert the files. I havent streamed to PS3 in a long time as PS3 put a software update which doesn't allow some downloaded videos to play longer than 30 minutes without cutting the sound off. anyways hope that helps
  3. macrumors 6502a

Oct 20, 2009
    Kingsport TN
    use a hard line for the ps3 ive had problems of stuttering and buffering when i used my ps3 wireless when i went wired it was fine
  4. Guest

Jun 3, 2002
    have a look at your CPU / Ram usage when streaming if it's high then it's transcoding, PS3's are only 802.11g iirc (my PS3 Slim was) use a ethernet on both PS3 and the computer.

Also sometimes they need to transcode the audio track that forces the whole thing to be re-coded. nightmare.