[PS3] MotorStorm E3 Target Render vs Actual Gameplay

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

GameTrailers.com posted this video comparing the E3 "Target" Render of MotorStorm with what the actual game is really like.

I must say, the results speak for themselves... I'd be one hacked off customer if I started playing this game having been sold on it at E3 and expecting to get that...

To sum it up, it looks much slower and the intensity of the E3 video is just completely gone. The actual game looks less fun then Excite Truck (which I have played) and doesn't seem to look much better. Not that I think Excite Truck looks bad, it doesn't, but compared to those E3 Renders I'd be expecting a lot more out of MotorStorm!

Edit: Looks like GT has posted several other similar comparisons if anyone wants to check them out...

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

If you truly expected the game to look like the E3 target render when it was released... well good luck with that, you'll constantly be disappointed in life.

By the way, before the inevitable Sony flames begin... All companies do this, including Microsoft and Nintendo and every PC game developer.

And how do you know Excite Truck is more fun? Your word does not mean much when you haven't even played Motorstorm and its not even released.

I think the game looks fun personally.

3. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Your putting words in my mouth. I didn't say it was more fun, nor do I claim it would be. I said it looks less fun. There is a difference so please don't act like I've made a judgement when all I've made was a visual observation.

It is true that all companies make game renderings, but few so much as Sony and flagging them as "in-game" footage.

MotorStorm doesn't really even look like the same game, it looks slow and sluggish lacking any excitement... but the video portrayed a fast-paced game of extreme intensity, not only in the graphics but in the gameplay and effects.

Now if only we had some real-time footage of that new Killzone! ;)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Laughable. Pre Renders just piss me off, like with Final Fantasy 3 on the DS, rather than intially showing Gameplay footage they showed a pre-rendered video. What is the bloody point? Especially like (in FF3 and Motostorm) the Pre-rendered video shows no hints to what the game actually looks like.

Pathetic.

Oh, and wasn't it Sony that didn't even mention these were pre-rendered videos? At least Nintendo originally said the old Smash Bros Brawl trailer was a pre-render and resembled what the gameplay will be like (compared to the new real time video).

I think at this point I'd rather play Excite Truck. At least that's half the price of this game!

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Yeah I hate trailers for game that are mostly CGI and or pre-rendered "cinematic" scenes, I want to see HUDs, proper game perspectives, inventory interfaces, actual game action, etc, etc, etc.

A trailer with cinematic perspectives does nothing for me and as soon as trailer goes into this, I close my video player, whats the ****** point?

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly. It's like how everyone got excited over the old MGS4 videos, which may not have been pre-rendered but showed NO gameplay at all. Now that's clever! Simply aiming to entertain the empty heads who get excited by a bit of graphic.

Great, Snake's talking to Ottacon with some little robot. I want to play a game or at least see footage of so, not watch Final Fantasy Advent Children 2: MGS4.

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Motorstorm is, without a doubt, a pretty game. It isn't, however, a revelation. It was supposed to be one of those titles that hushed the disbelievers. Instead, it's more 'Oh, that's nice. Is this running on a PC?'

That's just my take, though. It was fun and all, but hardly a killer app for a $600 system.