PS3 not in production yet

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6156046.html?sid=6156046

Something will have to go. Simultaneous launch or the Nov 17 (was it?) launch date. Which would you rather have? Given the PS3 is region free on the games front perhaps a healthy stock of Japanese PS3's on import will be a possible answer?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Looks like everything is on track to me......PS3 launch/PSone games/PSP......he sound honest(I think) when talking about the online service and the UMD movies.....This is good stuff for Sony.

Looks like everything is on track to me.

Bless

3. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

The only problem I see in the article is that I think Nintendo is going to do more than just retain its market share with the Wii. I think Nintendo are well on their way to expanding the market and gaining marketshare themselves by targeting old-school gamers like myself and non-gamers like my girlfriend. Also, with their strategy they might be able to release a new HD console before the PS3 reaches fruition in 2011. Man that is kinda crazy to me...betting that your console will be on top in 5 years. 5 years is an eternity in gaming...

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    The 360 didn't go into manufacturing until what? 3 weeks before launch? PFT. No worries here.

5. crachoar macrumors 6502a

To sum up the article:

-The PSP is selling like hotcakes according to Sony.
    -Memory Sticks rock, apparently.
    -The death of UMD in retail stores is 'good news' to Sony.
    -The Online functions of the PSP and PS3 will be totally sweet, according to Sony. It will be better than XBOX Live, but they can't tell us why.
    -They can't tell anybody what games are going to be coming out.
    -Nobody stopped by their E3 '06 booth, so they cried and ruined all the fun.

6. colinp macrumors member

Yeah and the 360 launch didn't have any problems. :rolleyes:

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The PSP is selling.....not as much as the DS lite but its still making its way.
    He never really said that.....he just was focusing on the downloaded content...you can see he knows the UMD movie format won't do.

So the guy at Sony shouldn't think that the company that he is apart of services won't be better than the other company?...Jedi mind tricks...

I don't think Sony was the only one in the E3 downgrade...I'm sure everyone else had their hand in it.

Bless

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Face it 2ny, you won't get through to these Nintendo-hugging know-it-alls. They're SO superior in intellect, what with their 400 mario and pokemon re-hashed games. They're the quintessential fanboys with nothing to do but bitch. God forbid they like any other console that ISN'T Nintendo made, despite you know, the first two Playstations were great, as are both Xboxes. But you know, Nintendo is the King of them all because they have bright colors and games only a hand full of people want to play for the 33rd time on the 5th console they've made. :rolleyes:

Like Dell, or Apple, or Sony, or IBM, or Gateway, or any OTHER companies haven't had problems with launch items? :rolleyes:

Pretty much why the gaming forum isn't even worth reading. It's become the official Nintendo Power board.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yup all people whp have ever owned a Nintendo Console or Handheld, wage a holy war against Sony and MS... i for one hate xBox 360(mainly because its nota gamecube) even though i play it every time my friend brings it over.:rolleyes:

Yup i like Nintendo, that the reason i don't like the PS3, my dislike for the PS3 has nothing to do with its lack of games, high price, and sony forcing its formats on us... it because i have a gamecube.. its my source of hate for the PS3..clearly:rolleyes:

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Not in my neck of the woods. PSP and 360 were the only machines to sell out here, and even they had a crippling low amount of systems to sell.

See this is different from the 360 in that it was a very easy system to make. Yields were high. not so for Cell and BluRay. AND they're heading for a worldwide launch (need stock for Europe, Australia, US and Japan and co.). They're expecting an awful lot. and to those who haven't been following Sony recently - they've lied and spewed a lot of BS. Am I expecting a worldwide launch? no.

11. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

So Dell, Apple, Sony, IBM and Gateway make game consoles every 5 years? It's a totally different market. Launch day of a console is nothing like the launch of a new computer. If Sony doesn't start soon they're going to be in a tight spot. I expect it'll be slow to sell at first, then once/if they drop the price (although Sony is probably going to lose loads per PS3 sold at launch) it should pick up momentum.

Ah yes, the assumption that all people who have a Nintendo console automatically hate other consoles.

12. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

oh hells yea. I hate my Xbox Media Centre, I really detest my Mega Drive because Sonic 2 is absolute crap. Streets of Rage? Streets of Crap more like. Yea. Hey know what I really hate? Commodore. Those idiots over there making that system I love. grrr and that.
    But I reaally hate the PS1 hooked up downstairs with Tomb Raider 1 and FF7 playing. God damn them rubbish games.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've said it a million times so I may as well repeat myself 1,000,001 times..

PS3 will launch USA & JAPAN November 2006
    PS3 will be delayed till Spring (March / April) 2007 in Europe

PS3 by all accounts is harder to manufacture than the Xbox 360, hence yield will be smaller. It is far more important to release with enough quantities in USA & Japan than all three territories.

6 million machines manufactured by the end of March 2007 is Sony's optimistic outlook, whereby they will be shipping 1 million units per month, however work backwards and that means by November release a very optimistic figure for machines would be around 1 million tops. That's too few.

Where as some US stores are taking pre-orders on games, very few are in the UK with genuine question marks left over release specifics and an inability to pre-order even at this stage.

Sony will not announce ANYTHING (it would be suicide for them to announce anything until they have to - Sending stock market figures downwards and board of management departures) until at least Mid - October when it knows exactly how many machines can be manufactured.

Dont get your hopes up in Europe and you wont be dissapointed.

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

lack of games? Games that have already been announced.

High price for Bluray/DVD/CD/Superbit, COMPLETELY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH TWO PREVIOUS SYSTEMS, Bluetooth, Wireless, HD, a 60 gig HDD, Linux? :rolleyes: Right. What's that, over ONE HUNDRED GAMES so far? Yeah, that's a GIANT lack of games for a console thatt's not even out yet...

Forced formats? Oh, you mean like the mini-dvd the game cube had that couldn't play anything else except for a VERY limited addition unit not sold in MOST countries? Or the three cartridge based systems they forced you to use? Or how about Microsoft and all of its propriety, source-code stealing, unfair monopolistic business-practices? Windows? Direct X? .Net framework? Internet Explorer "standards" anyone?

Funny, there's several media formats that Sony has contributed that have been MORE than just successful. CD and DVD just to name two. How many has nintendo had? Oh, that's right... NONE.

Yeah... You don't hate Sony just because they're NOT Nintendo. :rolleyes:

There are people who like other systems, and KNOW what they're talking about. Then there are people with a biased because they "hear" things.

Keep on with the flamewars there people! PS3 is satan! PS3 will fail! Ps3 this and that until all of our ears bleed for hearing it for the 500th time! YES! YES! YES!

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Good point MRU but I'm going to flip it on you and put Nintendo in that same boat being that we haven't heard jack about where they are with the Wii but no one is speaking about it.

PS3 will have their problems as well as the Wii on launch AND bad consoles......Guys remember I said this...been saying this since 2005.

That article that jimmi posted seem honest to me....he never mention anything about sony being king of the hill for years to come or anything of that nature...he thinks its still all up in the air but also thinks his company has a great chance.

Bless

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Very well could be. But I think they may pull it off. You never know, but you're most likely right that they'll have most of the consoles for US/Japan release, and more on a limited scale for Europe.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, eh?

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Afraid so :) (nice new avatar) :) :)

Hey with Nintendo's track record in europe being as it is, I'd certainly wouldnt be surprised either. :eek:

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I looked at that list, nothing on it that makes me want to spend 600 for the system, plus 60 atleast per game

Nintendo didn''t use Mini-DVDs to make money outside of the gaming market, Sony is using PS3 to push blue ray down people's thoats to make money out side of gaming

Agian how did that make money for Nintendo? it really just slowed pirates

That has nothing to do with MS's xBox 360.. i don't like Windows or IE.. which is why i used OS X and Camino

Nintendo doesn't fight for that, they make video games... and Sony sure did a good job with UMDs, BetaMax and over priced memory stick Duo.. all top formats:rolleyes:

I dislike Sony for there action, not because there not Nintendo..you need to understand that..

How does that help anyone?

19. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

assuming i remember the cords :p

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Maybe:eek: ;)

That true..

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

In the article it sounds like they might have a little problem getting some of those PS1 games right for the PSP.....hey once silent hill and MGS is ready I'm good:)...and make sure they get that online store right for PS3/PSP...I really think the Sony network will come through this gen.

My ibook power will be goin off in 3....2....1....

Bless

23. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

If it's true that Sony hasn't started manufacturing yet, I foresee shortages galore - especially if they keep to their word on a worldwide release.

I think like macRumorUser said: Europe will be delayed.

Oh and Onizuka: I personally don't hate sony for sony's sake. I could care less about forced formats, marketshare, exaggerated hardware claims, the "destruction" of Nintendo, etc. The main deal is that their library of games just does not appeal to me. That's all. Now there are a few games here and there that look interesting but I am not willing to shell out a lot of money for a couple of games. I am not a fan of RPGs, racing games, sport games, fighters or FPSes on consoles. So....yeah. You can love Sony all you want, but I like Nintendo because their games appeal to me. That's all.

24. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Be very careful about saying that. You're probably going to be like everyone else who dare mention this and get shot to pieces.

Oh, and about Nintendo contributing formats- since Nintendo only make games systems I don't expect them to make formats. They (and Panasonic, was it?) invented a pirate-unfriendly Mini DVD that wasn't fully beaten until the Viper modchip. Fine, it wasn't used for movies. Did anyone expect that?

Sony on the other hand I expect better. They are a multimedia company who produce these formats, big players with CD and DVD. looks like they've ballsed it up recently though. So that's 2 out of how many mediums developed by Sony that have done well?

25. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Some more key points lifted by Joystiq

So Europe should be getting their PS3 after all. No price drop for PSP? Sony just gave the DS to walk over it again.