[PS3] Objective Analysis and Comparison

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, May 9, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

This thread is meant as a discussion of the system in general and, specifically, it's pricing and comparisons.

Most or all of this has appeared in other threads but I thought it worth consolidating for easy reference.

For starters we have the following options: (only listing outstanding/differenting features)

Complete Option
    - 60GB HDD
    - 2X Blu-ray disc drive
    - Bluetooth
    - 1 x HDMI out (HD)
    - MemoryStick/SD/CompactFlash card support
    - 480i - 1080p output support
    - $599 USD

Basic Option
    - 20GB HDD
    - 2X Blu-ray disc drive
    - Bluetooth
    - No HDMI (AV Out support only)
    - No Wireless Networking
    - No MemoryStick/SD/CompactFlash card support
    - 480i - 1080p output support
    - $499 USD

This information is taken directly from an Official Document on scei.co.jp (PDF)

Both models have a built in harddrive, a blu-ray drive, Bluetooth, and 1080p output.

The Rumble/"Shock" feature of the controllers has evidently been removed and replaced with the "6 degrees of motion" according to IGN.

On to the areas of interest...

1080p Output

Both options are capable of 1080p output.

Worth noting, however, is that because the Basic Option does not include HDMI you will not be able to watch movies in full HD since there is no other HDCP compliant output port on the PS3 (such as DVI-D). The system itself is still capable of 1080p output but whether or not you will be able to get that even in Games is yet to be seen, since it is limited [the Basic Option] to AV output only.

I'm sure it will also be said that 1080p output is pointless as well since the vast majority of HDTV out there (and current HDTV owners) only have sets that will do 720p/1080i. 1080p sets are substantially more expensive. That said, I would not say that makes it pointless. It's nice that it will do it for those that have the capable sets. What is valid is that there will likely be performance loss at that resolution; meaning it is quite possible we will see games that are 720p maximum as developers need the extra performance.

Blu-ray

Both systems include the same Blu-ray drive.

As mentioned previously, however, the Basic Option will not be able to output BD movies in full HD due to lack the lack of HDMI. It will still play the movies, but the possibility of the quality getting downscaled is real.

Many opinions exist on how beneficial having BD (Blu-ray Disc) support is, here are some of the arguments and counters:
    - The larger disc space will be beneficial to games. / That much space is not necessary for game content. Even high resolution uncompressed textures should not consume enough space to justify the disc. / Video/Audio, in a high-resolution uncompressed format certainly could, however (Final Fantasy anyone?)
    - It's a cheap BD player that is future-ready. / The "war" between Blu-ray/HD-DVD has not been one, we don't know if BD is here to stay. If it isn't then that isn't of much use. / Both formats, either format, or none of the formats may stick around; a lot of people are perfectly happy with DVD.
    - It's unproven technology; unlike DVD that has been around long enough to get perfected, BD is new and could be prone to unforseen problems. / These issues will surely be worked out before the PS3 release in Nov 2006 (we would hope.)

Bluetooth

There are a lot of possibilities for this in terms of connectivity with other devices. Executed properly this could be a really nice addition, or misused/not used it could mean a whole lot of nothing. Time will tell whether PS3 owners will see the possible benefits of this.

PS3/Xbox 360 Comparisons

Now we are entering flamewar territory but these comparisons will be made and are important to many people in determining what system they go for (for those that will only purchase one system).

The question of value for price comparisons is an obvious focus beyond simple price tag. Because PS3 has positioned it's pricing for both options above the Xbox 360 Premium that will be the obvious choice for comparisons.

First, if Blu-ray is a factor in your purchasing and you have no interest in the alternative HD-DVD then you can pretty much stop here. PS3 will be worth the price if you are most interested in Blu-ray support. If that is the case, you'll want the Complete Option for $599 to ensure you get full HD output out of BD movies.

So what do you get in the PS3 Basic Option you won't get in Xbox 360 Premium (or 'What do you get for the extra $100 of the PS3')?
    - Blu-ray disc drive
    - 1080p output
    - Bluetooth

And now comparing to the PS3 Complete option ($200 more):
    - Blu-ray disc drive
    - HDMI out (allowing for HD movies)
    - 1080p output
    - Bluetooth
    - 60GB HDD (40GB more)
    - MemoryStick/SD/Compact Flash card support
    - Wi-Fi (Wireless Networking)

Clearly Sony needed to make the more expensive option worth the extra $100 they are charging over the cheaper option. Clearly if you are going to get a PS3 then the more expensive option is worth the extra cost.

Again, if Blu-ray is where it's at for a buyer then PS3 seems obvious. If that is not a concern you will have to ask yourself if having 1080p output and Bluetooth is worth $100 to you. Or on the high-end, is the 1080p output, Bluetooth, 40GB extra HDD space, Wi-Fi, and Memory card support worth the $200 extra (over a 360).

In the end, throwing cost aside, it's about the games (unless it's about the Blu-ray, right?) and every system has something different to offer as well as a bunch of the same as many games are going cross platform.

The big game for PS3 right now seems to be Metal Gear Solid 4 and if you are a big fan of the series you'll likely want the PS3 regardless of price. Interesting, to me at least, is that since MGS4 is a Konami title it is perfectly possible that it will only stay PS3 exclusive for 6-12 months and then has the possibility of getting ported to 360, which according to the designer, Kojima, is perfectly capable of running the game.

For 360 the game at the same hype level as MGS4 is Halo 3, and of you are a Halo fan the choice is likely simple - and fortunately will cost you a but less for the system.

My advice is to take a detailed look at all the game offerings on both systems and then decide which one justifies the price the best for you.

If anyone has anything to add please do so, this is not meant to start a battle! :) If anyone could get a list of games that will be out for both systems around PS3 launch that would be cool.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just put quite simply

No HDMI, then NO HD movies. They will only look like DVD's.

So whilst all the fanboys can boast they got a Blu Ray player for $499 - you may as well have spent $40 and bought a DVD - because that's all your getting.

No Memory Stick, then NO transfering of your game saves and taking them to your friends house or backing them up.

Sony are pulling A MAJOR fast one with the 499 pack.

What's worse is that they'll probably manufacture A LOT more of the 499 pack as it's cheaper to produce and hence less loss - realising that gullable saps will HAVE to have it at christmas regardless.

It's a rather GENIUS way of clawing back and cutting your losses. In the new year they can then deliver more of the 599 pack.....

So dont be a sap, if its 499 - put it back......

3. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing this to boost sales of the more expensive console. Don't just release for $599, release a much worse system for $499 to make the more expensive model look so much better.

And the worst thing, unlike the Core Xbox, is that you can't *ever* upgrade the $499 system to the same features. You can't get HDMI, Card Slots, or a 60GB HDD (unless via USB).... ouch.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think the bashing they will get from fans and forums will change their minds.....so lets bash the hell outta them so they can add those damn things to the low end(which is the high for a low end if you look at it)...

this is upsetting....

Bless

5. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Here here.

I really thought Sony would pull some magic rabbit out of their hat that would make us all go wow! Apart from some videos that have us dropping us jaws...the price and crippled nature of the "value" pack has us all doing the same thing... But not in the same way.

6. iGav macrumors G3

errrr no. they should look better than DVD's, just not HD. ;)

Regarding the PS3, I'm neither over or underwhelmed... I'm glad they've reverted back to the Dual Shock design, but disappointed that they haven't 'developed' the PS3 design itself. :(

But really... for the sake of $99 bucks, what kind of muppet's going to buy that version??? :p

Looking forward to Gran Turismo HD though :D I played Project Gotham Racing 3 a couple of days ago, and it's f**kin' shocking.

looking forward to the Nintendo stuff later on... :)

7. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

Well I for one am glad I bought my Xbox 360 now. I will have gotten 8 months of play before a select few even get to touch a PS3. Now I am not sony bashing...but I will say that the higher model PS3 is not that bad in price if you really compair a few features.

Xbox 360 - 399
    WiFi 4 Xbox -99
    Total - $498

So then then the only real advantage is the the blue ray for $100 more. So to be competative MS must release the HD-DVD addon drive for under $100 dollars or else the xbox will be the more expensive console with comparitive options. Not including that the PS3 supports 7 controllers (who cares?), has a card reader, and bluetooth, plus it is all intergrated unlike the Xbox will be with two gadets pluged into the USB ports in the back.

But you won't have to worry about some type of downsampling with the xbox as it will play HD movies over the componet regardless of the protection sceme. A big plus.

Dosent the xbox 360 use bluetooth for it's controllers too? What is the big deal there?

8. prophet621 macrumors member

With the announcment of the pricing I can say with certainty I will not be getting a PS3. The only games for the PS1 or PS2 I really liked were the GT series but my PS2 had been sitting in a drawer for years so I can live without GT. I really don't care at all about the blu-ray as it may still fail miserably in the battle for the next gen of digital media. Too early to try to pick a winner and I have a standing rule, NEVER bet on Sony but don't count them out either.

I was really hoping to be excited about the PS3 as I was with the PS2 but I'm not. If Xbox drops it's pricing a bit I'll probably get one and wait to see what Nintendo is doing and get a 'revolution' (hate the wii name) for my daughter, and still probably save money over the PS3.

9. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

RF, I believe.

Only advantage I can think of offhand is the ability to use a Bluetooth for a wireless headset, for example.

Much ado over nothing, if you ask me.

10. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

To be fair, Sony Pictures (note the distinction) has said that they will not turn on the HDCP flag on their titles...for now. So you'll be able to watch "Spiderman 2" in HD on your BluRay, just nothing else. :)

Personally, as a home theater enthuasist who was considering a PS3, its luster is all but gone. As someone with a serious home theater/HDTV setup, I'm pretty much forced to buy the $600 version. In fact, if anyone touts the BluRay movie features of the PS3 at all, they have to be getting the $600 version; the other SKU is a waste of money, frankly.

Also, where's the dual gigabit ethernet? Dual HDMI? Dual 1080p? Rumble? Those extra USB ports? Where's the innovation? All they did was add Xbox Live to the PS3 and copy the Nintendo remote.

Again, the Sony Hype Machine (TM) is in full force. Right now, the PS3 looks like nothing more than an overpriced 360...a year late.

Watching the presentation was painful, too. The scattered applause was a mix of disbelief and pity from the crowd.

11. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Add to that the fact of their "Dual 1080P over HDMI" claim just went out of the window. Oh, and that as far as when I last checked, no tv's are currently supporting 1080p over analog. Even Sony's own SXRD line only accepts 1080i and upconverts it. It looks like the revenge of the duck!

12. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

On the subject of Sony TVs, why do they keep pushing this "true HD" line? None of their TVs support it, anyway, so why be so bothered it? :confused:

13. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

You got me. But then again, it is Sony. They have ALWAYS overpromised and overhyped their products....

14. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I had almost convinced myself I would buy a PS3.....after giving away my PS2 to my nephews b/c I never used it and never buying a PS1 b/c the only game I liked on it was Castlevania SotN. There is no way I will be buying a $600 PS3/Blu-Ray system......and the $499 version is worthless. Terrible news from a much anticipated system.

I'm still definitely getting a Nintendo Wii and now it is probably I'll go with an Xbox 360..... cause I only want 2 systems.

15. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

I am only going to buy the Wii for zelda. After that...ebay. Well I might keep it around for the new mario titles or the zelda after that. Depends on the price.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No I've seen HD content on a Standard Resolution TV, it looks like DVD thats it.

Gran Turismo 4 is already HD, it support 1080i in the NTSC version, so for them to turn out a GT4 HD is ********, they even admited it uses exaclty the same textures as the ps2 version, so basically it is the PS2 version..... Microsoft could have gone out of its ways and said 'oh look! We have HALO2 HD' but they had more sense..

17. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Someone check me here, but I believe that HD content that fails the HDCP flag is scaled down to a maximum of 540p. I know, it's a weird resolution, but swear at the movie studios, not me. :)

But yea, if you hook up a BluRay player or a HD-DVD player to a HDTV that doesn't support HDCP you're looking at 480p. Joe Consumer would have a hard time telling the differenece between your $500 BluRay player and his $50 WalMart special.

[Edit] Looks like my memory was on:
    The $500 PS3 w/ BluRay..."You can see the difference...trust us!" :)

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No you are right Don.

Out of interest. I notice they didnt mention region free anymore either.. Is that another pipe dream like dual hdmi output?

19. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I for one am very satisfied with not only the price, but the features of the unit. I challenge ANYONE out there to find a media system, that not only plays games (and is backward compatible with two previous generations as well), but has linux and PSP integration, bluetooth, HD output, card readers, and bluray for anything under 1k. You can't, you won't, so quit bitching about it.

Dual HDMI.. PFT. I'd also challenge you to find ANY media system with dual HDMI, let alone ONE HDMI port.

Picky. That's all there is to it. People are bickering over a system that will be a good system for the next 5 years and up to snuff with technology during this time, yet a system from Nintendo gets praise because of it's small cost (and features we've seen for 5 years already).

And really, what's $600? It's nothing for a system that will be out for the next 5 years. A mac mini costs more than this and doesn't even have Bluray in it.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

ooh grab your handbags :rolleyes: all this dissent from gamers on Sony's shambles of a 499 machine has really got your fanboy heckles up ;)

People are rightly peed off, and Honestly whats the point of BluRay if you cant watch the HD movies with it?

And dont hold onto Linux, that could turn out to be severly crippled too. Nothing would surprise me at this stage.

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

When PS3 games turn almost entirely Blu-ray, and from past experiences we have to assume they will, everyone will want Blu-ray drives so they can play them. People will be pretty pissed if the lower model only had a DVD drive and all games went Blu-ray.

22. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Just as I thought, more contrived BS and no real answer. What good is a Wii when all you cand do is play DVD-based discs like I have been since 2000? Crappy question, isn't it?

People aren't rightly peeved, because the price is a bargain for a system of this calibur.

23. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

hahahahahah its so much fun to watch Onizuka go off the handle. ALL THE TIME over something so trivial.

24. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

No, it's calling Sony on their marketing BS that people like you bought hand over fist months ago. Six USB ports, dual HDMI, 1080p on two monitors, 7 controllers...all for nothing! :rolleyes:

Don't lump me in with the Nintendo crowd: when I smell BS I call it, regardless of the manufacturer.

Dual SKUs? Big mistake, just like with Microsoft. Reason? Have to provide a crippled low-cost version to make the "real" unit look like "a deal." If there wasn't that first SKU, they're be even more people passing out over the $600 price tag.

BluRay? Yea, the Sony camp has been beating their chest on this one for months, now they have to face the reality that their "cheap" BluRay player that was going to introduce a new media format is $600 "cheap."

You want to call it picky? Knock yourself out. Until then exercise those critical thinking skills and stop drinking the company KoolAid.

25. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

It is being picky. You still haven't named ONE, and all I ask is ONE, media system that delivers this kind of functionality at the price. And you haven't given me an example of ANY media systems out there with Dual HDMI support.

Everyone knows (or should have known) that the PS3 was a PROTOTYPE and things were subject to change. If anyone is dissapointed it's because THEY believed the hype. I for one took into consideration that the PS3's design wasn't finalized, which is why I'm not crying foul and being a nancy about the price for what it comes with.