PS3 on eBay - currently at $10,000,000

Discussion in 'Games' started by steve_hill4, Nov 19, 2006.

1. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Just blogged this:

http://threedwarfs.multiply.com/journal/item/32

It's obviously never going to get paid up, but it sure will be interesting to see what the final bidder will go up to and how much eBay will charge the seller, that is how much they would charge if it stays up and it isn't reported as a non-payer.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

From reading his answers to the questions people have asked him he seems to think that he will actually get the money.

3. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

its the same bunch of mates messing around as last time....jeez

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I hear people have been putting fake bids on PS3s just so that they don't sell and the sellers get much less money when they come to resell in a week.

5. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I seems to recall an ebay scam where and ordinary item is bided way to a crazy price to transfer money illegally or something. I don't remember the logic behind it but I have a feeling this is something like that. There was a power book at 25 grand a few weeks ago.

6. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Hmmm...

The buyer has a positive rating of 287. He/she seems to have bought things like jeans and stuff. All around the $10-$100 mark. It looks like he's bidded on this thing as a joke but he might not realise that if he wins the auction it is a legal and binding contract and because he's completed many auctions before, his real name and address will be easily traceable and he could be sued to high heaven and bankrupted.

7. steve_hill4 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Unlikely, but I see your point. I think if this individual appealed to eBay, they would be allowed to get off. I know of a case of someone buying a car that actually turned out to be their 3 year old bidding after forgetting to log out. Things like this can always be claimed, however unlikely these incidents seem to most people.

BTW, how are you enjoying Nottingham? I have lived here pretty much all my life and went to the University of Nottingham too.

8. steve_hill4 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Update: I can see that some people have been having some fun bidding then retracting, claiming they entered the wrong amount, just to see how far they are bidding up to:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=220050739576

Oh well, up to $10.5million and still 9 days to go. I guess word must be spreading of this fast.

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I didn't even notice before that it was a 9 day auction. Selling a PS3 on a 9 day auction is just silly imo. 1 day's the way to go.

Notts is great thanks! Final year now, suffering through but still loving the Uni life. :) When did you graduate?

10. steve_hill4 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I know, the longer the auction, the more time it gives eBay to possibly pull the plug.

Over two years ago now, in Electrical & Electronic Engineering. Currently (painfully still) working in retail, just waiting for a job in tech journalism to turn up for me. I am slowly writing again and possibly looking at some more study first, but we'll see. You?

11. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

i heard one sold for 12 grand.
    i dont know how true that is though

12. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Ahhh, my housemate from last year did that course and graduated a few months ago. He hated it though and had a problem staying awake in lectures!! :p What retail places are you working in? I might bump into you! :cool:

I just realised that this PS3 in question started with an initial asking price of $250,000. The guy was asking for trouble!!

Edit: Although worryingly, $10,000,000 isn't just an unreasonable amount for a generic item starting at $250,000 which means it could be considered as 'not a joke' in a court of law! :eek:

13. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Funny... I am studying in Nottingham University Too. :D

14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

No way! Everyone seems to be coming out of the woodwork tonight!! What year and what course are you?

15. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

I am writting up my thesis now. :D

Fourth year PhD. Wishing to finish ASAP.

16. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

How cool! I just saw you live on Beeston Road. That's just a couple of minutes from me. Highfield Road. :D Small world, eh!

Final year for me, hoping to do a Masters and PhD afterwards, people say I'm being daft for wanting that though!

17. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Highfield road. Man you are so close.

Everything is in the name. PhD; Permanent head Damage.

Masters and PhD are definitely better than work. Do whatever it takes you out of work. I did my PhD to stay away from work. Student life rocks. :D

Here is a route plan:
    Distance Traveled, miles.
    0.00 Start out at Beeston Road 0.00
    0.06 Turn left onto Lace Street 0.06
    0.11 Turn right onto Highfield Road 0.17

Shall I call a cab. :D

18. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wow, what if he gets paid. Can you say retirement?

19. steve_hill4 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I work in John Lewis, best place for Apple in town. ;) I do have friends living in Beeston and am not too far away myself, so you can often find me in the Victoria Hotel, but more likely the Bell Inn and if you want a venue and night, Mondays at Quiz Night in the Rose & Crown, Derby Road, with all the old Archery crowd.

Anyway, I'll stop encouraging the drifting off of subject and leave this for the community. Just checked back with the auction and all gone. Wonder exactly what did happen. I also saw on digg someone sold a pre-order PS3 for $99,999,999.00. Not sure what happened with that either, my guess was a smaller fee, if any, was paid and the order handed over.

20. oceanstar macrumors newbie

Wii launch was so much nicer and at least people want to keep and PLAY STHAT system

21. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

No way! I was in there just last night while the quiz was going on, having dinner with the girlfriend! Haha! John Lewis is a very nice shop, I like to drag my girlfriend up to the Mac section, hehe!

Max Payne, that is quite ridiculous! I've probably seen you many times on the street and in Spar!!

22. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

This thread sure is confusing to read. More confusing is why everyone wants to spend thousands of pounds on a console that looks to me like it has the same old racing and fighting games with longer video sequences and slightly better graphics?:confused:

Anyway, the PS3 has been taken down from ebay.

23. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm not surprised its been taken down, it had obviously become a laughing stock. Sorry for messing up the thread btw!! Us Nottingham folk are a rowdy bunch and often cause wanton destruction!