PS3 Optical Audio output problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by GimmeSlack12, Dec 26, 2006.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I have a Sony receiver (STR-DE885) that is having problems playing Blu-Ray movies sound. The Video works just fine (looks pretty good) but the Dolby and DTS sound is not being Decoded. DVD's decode just fine and have no hints of problems.

The problem is the blu-ray decoding keeps stuttering on and off every other second making the sound unusable. Turning off the Dolby sound works just fine. Any solutions or anyone heard of this problem?

2. darkwing macrumors 65816

Run through the audio settings for the PS3 and make sure it is only set up to output modes your receiver supports.

3. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Do you even have a PS3? Thanks for replying but you offer no help at all.

4. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Settings --> Audio Output,

Check the output to make sure its on Optical

Also check the playback for blu-ray, I think PCM and something else.

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Thats it :) I had to use Bitstream or my HK Amp wouldnt play dolby digital audio from any BR movie :)

to the Op, linear PCM is the default, change it to Bitstream and see if that helps. I can guarantee you that insulting members wont get you help fast.

Ed

6. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Thanks guys but this is all stuff that I've tried. I'll probably have to take the thing back.

7. aj98 macrumors member

According to a couple of different retail sites, your amp does not support
    DTS ES (6.1), plain Dolby Pro Logic, or THX...but it does support plain DTS, Dolby Digital, and Dolby Pro Logic II.

Try setting the amp to PLIIx, or in the audio setup on the disk to use plain DTS, or one of the other audio modes supported by your amp.

OR, consider upgrading your amp to the STG800, which supports HDMI in/out, all the various surround modes, fiber audio, component....et al.

8. darkwing macrumors 65816

Yes, I do own a PS3. I haven't encountered any problems because I have an HDMI-capable receiver and haven't had to use optical audio output. When I went through the setup on mine, I got a message saying to be sure that the encoding rates I selected are supported by the receiver. Sorry my reply didn't help you.

9. mclva macrumors newbie

Very interesting. I have a PS3 that I am using for Blu-Ray movies, connected via optical (TosLink) to my Sony STR-DE985. And I am having the same decode "stuttering" symptom you are seeing. It is (oddly) encouraging that I'm not the only one having this issue - as it tells me that it is probably not a one-off problem with my hardware, cabling, etc.

I'll check the PS3 settings for bitstream as was mentioned. Please post back or email me if you solve this and I will do the same. :)

10. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

As far as I am concerned the STR-DEXXX receivers are simply incompatible with the PS3 and I have at the time being given up.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Does the 12 in your name refer to your age?

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Profile says he's 27. ;)

13. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Sure.

14. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I dont own a PS3, but try and update it. Maybe they fixed it.

If not, try emailing them, posting something on the offical PS3 forums, anything to get the problem noticed so they can correct it with an update.

15. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

To avoid RaggedJimmi from making another lame-ass comment at me I'll answer this nicely.

Done all of that. I'll just be patient for a few months as I don't plan on owning too many Blu-Ray discs too soon. And DVD's have no problems at all. Cheers.

16. darkwing macrumors 65816

Man you could have been nice to me. I actually own one! I just happen to not be interested at all in movies and haven't watched that included one.

17. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I said "Thanks for replying".