PS3 or 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by macgeek77, Dec 31, 2006.

1. macgeek77 macrumors regular

I need a new gaming system and am deciding between PS3 and 360. Which one and why?

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Asking here is like asking on the official xbox forums. if you want unbiased responses go elsewhere.

That said there are 2 threads on this subject..

My .02, get a PS3, Sony has the Marketshare and the superior hardware. What can fit on one 30GB PS3 BD would only take 4 DVD9 Xbox discs... :rolleyes:

Ed

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

360 all the way! seriously it is the best out there and alot cheaper than the ps3 which seems to be crashed everytime i want to demo it at best buy

i believe this will be sony's last console as it will fail and then there were two....microsoft and nintendo. i hope sega makes a comeback!

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

They HAD the market share, but this time around its a new games, which X360 is winning

(Also do a search for some threads about this for some more info)

Personally I'd go X360...Halo 3, Halo War, Star Wars BattleFront(possible it will go to PS3 but its going to xBox 360 for sure)...plus better online gaming, more and better game as of today.

5. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Because we need 30gb. If a game like gears of war can fit on a DVD and still have a few gigs left of space, I'm sure DVD's are all we need for this gen. The reason the PS3 needs Blu-ray for games is because they need to fit all of those pre-rendered cut scenes into the games, since the Ps3 can't make them look as nice in real time as they said they could.

Get and Xbox 360 for the:
    Graphics
    Better games are now coming out now
    You can download HD movies
    It's available
    Much cheaper(I know it doesn't have media card readers or built in Wi-fi, but Wi-Fi stinks for gaming anyways)
    Load of fun to play
    Batteries are removable
    Not Sony

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The 360 has been out for a full year before the PS3, talk your trash next year when Sony has shut out xbox sales as it did with the PS2.

This is also why GoW was incredibly short, and had little to no story to it. HD video and audio require a lot of space, DVD9 doesn't have the space for the HD content and a decent sized story line without spanning multiple discs.

PS3's hardware is leaps and bounds better than the 360, right now M$ may have SHIPPED 10m units but how many have actually sold? I see tons of 360's anywhere i go, shipped and sold are two separate things and its funny that M$ refuses to let actual sales numbers in to the wild.. hmmmm

7. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Don't post here asking anything PS3. These people will smash you with their wiimotes and laugh at you through their headsets on xbox live.

Get a PS3 and install Yellow Dog Linux, its fun and endless.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

1) I wasn't talking trash, I was stating facts, which you seem to not want to do.

2) PS2 and xBox were is a very different market, the PS2 was out for a year+, this time around the xBox 360 was about for about a year. Also the PS2 was not nearly was much money as the PS3 is. xBox was the "overpriced" system last time. Now the roles have been changed, xBox 360 is cheaper, and PS3 is more money. Not to mention xBox was Microsoft's first console.

I'll get back to you when Wii units are smoking the PS3's...a lot like the DS is smoking the PSP:eek:

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Having spent quite a bit of time with all 3 consoles, I've decided that PS3 is definitely my favorite. However, at the moment Resistance is really the only exceptional title on PS3. Therefore, I recommend PS3, but unless you desperately want to play Resistance or are just dying to spend some cash, I'd hold off and buy it in March or April when there will be some more hot titles.

10. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

There's no way to know which system will be the most popular, contrary to some other comments, so take a look at the games and decide for yourself. No matter what, both systems are going to be around for a while, and both will have great games. I have an Xbox 360 personally, but I might get a PS3 if there are games on it that I NEED to play.;)

Basing your decision on the disc capacity would be silly. Switching discs for Shenmue, FFVII, etc. didn't bother me at all.

Consider which systems your friends have, too, if you want to play online with them.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Um. Fun and endless? Ruddy nora what are you on? you're supposed to be straightedge :p
    Fun and endless? The system has less games out than the Wii despite being launched earlier (well, 3 days was it in america?). I can see plenty of ends. Lack of games, loyalist developers jumping to MS and Nintendo. The 360 provides less "endless"ness with its vast library of games and community online features.
    Fun? The games have been criticised for being PS2 gameplay in a higher resolution. I don't see how that can be fun frankly. It's even less of a sweet deal when PS2 games look like...

[​IMG]

Hear hear. I agree we don't need this subject asking again.
    And no. I think you'll find the majority of people here had Gamecubes or PS2's last gen. Didn't seem like the original Xbox got much fanfare. Out comes the 360 which actually is a system that targetted the negative issues of the original and improved on itself. I mean having original Xbox games, though in lesser quantity than PS2, actually look *better* is a huge step up from Sony offering a general emulation/whatever to get legacy games look like utter crap.
    What does the PS3 do? Sticks in a menu system used on 2 devices that failed, run PS1 and 2 games badly, massive issue with 1080i, removes friggin features from its controller whilst singing that it would interrupt with its new Wii-like functionality.

If I had the money I would not buy either system now, I have and don't use an original Xbox and would love a PS2. When it comes to these 2 I am unbiased. But clearly Microsoft have targetted issues and corrected them, even managing to UPGRADE the 360 after launch to run in 1080p. Sony? Sony have the same controller, a feeble attempt to mimick both Xbox Live and the Wii controller functionality. Plus you take into account Sony's attitudes, they haven't built a machine for gamers - they built something to get BluRay into homes and a run of the mill media centre (that lacks TV decoder and recording functions).

12. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

zimtheinvader

Xbox 360

Xbox 360. I love mine. Get the premium bundle, you can even plug in your ipod (even mac-formatted) and play all your mp3s as game music.... Wii is interesting too. You could get an Xbox and a Wii instead of a PS3. PS3 is overpriced imho. Totally personal though. I love fps, so the Xbox controller wins in my book.

13. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I have a Wii so don't think im just a Sony Fan boy. I froze in the cold to get the number two ticket to reserve my Wii at gamestop.

When I mean by endless, I ment the linux front of the PS3. There are not a lot of PS3 games but resistence is fun online (20v20 Breach) and GT HD.

14. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I'll only buy a PS3 if Naughty Dog releases another Jak game, if Imsomniac Games revives the Ratchet & Clank series (Ratchet Deadlocked was a step backwards), if Devil May Cry 4 is a hard game (and plays like DMC3) and if Metal Gear Solid 4 remains a PS3 exclusive... plus there is Gran Turismo and Formula One Championship...

But then again the 360 is going very strong and its getting some good games, though I am still dissapointed many of the console's killer apps are PC games or are also released on PCs as I am an avid PC gamer and do prefer to play FPS, RPG (the western kind and strategy games on the PC, even Gears of War is rumored to come to the PC, what interests me in the 360 is games like Gears of War (which might be coming to the PC anyways), Viva Pinata, Saints Row to some extent and the racing games (upcoming Forza 2 and the existing revamped Burnout Revenge and PGR3), the rest is available on PC or PS2/PS3 which is why I am hesitant on the 360, but I guess its a heck of a console for someone who doesn't own a gaming PC.

15. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Making a game twice as long as GOW would still fit fine on a DVD. Because the things that take up the most space are textures, movies, and audio. Movements and polygons take up the least amount of space. SO If there were only a few new textures introduced in later parts of this 2x length GOW, that would really be the only addition of space taken.

Also, the reason PS2 has sold over 120 million consoles is because a majority of them broke after about 2 years, if it came out a little over 6 years ago, take those numbers and subtract about 60 million and you have your number.

Really, even with what I just did of bringing up the past, IT WILL NOT MATTER this gen, the games, online, and maybe graphics will determine who is the winner, oh, and look, the Xbox 360 seems to be ahead in all those areas.:)

16. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Not to be an ass but I fail to see how that is a negative thing and more importantly how the Xbox360 is different... in my opinion the PS2 had the best games this year and if the PS3 is nothing but a better looking Okami, Bully or Final Fantasy XII then bring it on.

The only console that doesn't have last gen gameplay is the Wii, but who is to say last gen gameplay with the added power of these consoles doesn't provide a kickass experience?

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's not. The difference is that it is acceptable on the XBox 360, because it costs half as much. :p

A $600 console delivering the exact same experience as the $400?

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

That is funny. Leaps and bounds better??? Um no, and a simple proof to why that is incorrect is that if it were, why would people ask which one is better all the time? It's not like comparing a n64 to the xbox.

Also the 360 has been out for a year so of course you are able to buy them at stores. Explain why ps3's are sitting on the shelves when they are the "hot" item and just came out. Also explain why it is next to impossible to STILL get a Wii even though they have shipped alot more tham the ps3.

I dont consider myself a fanboy of any system since I hardly play games and when i do, it's when I visit my brothers who have both a wii and 360.

I do however get the best items (in both quality and affordability) when I do make a purchase, no matter what it is. This is one reason as to why I got a mac and a Toyota and as of RIGHT NOW, the 360 is the better system by far, if solely just for the quality of games it has and that you don't have to spend 2 months rent to buy say the ps3.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You got there before me :p
    Plus if the best games were on PS2 then why upgrade? Is the option to play all games in higher than 480p really worth £450? The game player in me is saying "James, you could buy a **** load of games instead".

Don't games feel stale to you, Chone? It certainly IS a bad thing when games play like they're 6 years old. This is the reason for upgrading consoles, to experience new controls (N64, Wii) or new super CPU powers to render and run more, not to play yesterday again. Genji was the review that stuck in my mind, saying this game IS possible on a PS2, minus the resolution and textures. Great, so Sony are charging me double for the game price and an extra lump sump for the console for what reason exactly?

20. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Ed H, you really need to stop spreading this FUD around.

Be honest, you don't actually have a clue as to whether or not GoW was effected in any way by storage capacity issues. You don't seem to actually have any sort of solid understanding of storage space requirements and what is needed for games at all.

The PC version of Rainbow Six: Vegas requires 7GB of HDD space for a full install. 2GB left to spare, and contrary to your FUD that is quite a bit of space. Neither GoW nor RSV use "HD video", so how much space that requires is neither here nor there.

And have you seen Crysis at all? There is an amazing visual show piece. And guess what, required disc space for that is 6GB.

Does that mean we'll never need more space then 9GB? Certainly not, but we aren't there yet and it's definitely inaccurate to blame game length on storage capacity. That's simply wrong and if you don't know that you might want to talk with a few people who actually understand the subject.

There will be a time we need more space for games, if that happened this generation there would be absolutely no reason not to use 2 discs, you know, like so many games on Sony's PlayStation did years ago.

21. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

If thats the case then you are KING FUD, so myob and if dont like what i have to say then keep your comments to yourself M$ fanboy.

Ed

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Seriously though a bit of research and objectivity to your posts Ed. would be welcome.

Whilst I respect your ps3 love, the utter rubbish you spout about M$ is really silly and rather immature.

Sony are the only company who announce shipped consoles when talking numbers. Both Microsoft and Nintendo both use units sold as an indicator. This has been reported in many trade publications and on the internet.

And if you have been following posts by individuals on this forum for an extended period of time you would realise Haoshiro is not a Xbox Fanboy.

But....

At the end of the day why do you feel the need to constantly post misinformation about a competitors hardware simply because it is not the console of your choosing?

Are you seriously that insecure about your choice that the only way you can feel appeased is to bad mouth others.

For all the time and energy you spend misinforming others about the 360, you could be enjoying playing your ps3, so what are you actually achieving.

PS3 will have its faults and will have its successes. It's strengths and it's weaknesses.
    I currently have both a 360 and a Wii. By European launch I will more than likely have a PS3 too. Being in a position to appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of all the hardware.

Objectivity is not a sin and maybe you could make a new years resolution?

Because at the moment your posts are really become so 'pase'.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Same back at'cha :)

24. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Thanks MRU, I think your post was spot on.

I'm sure if anyone else reads my last post they'd see I'm being straight about this supposed storage capacity issue, which has been my problem with Ed's posts from the start, talking as if DVD9s are somehow ruining games and being a big problem. I'm no technological evangelist or anything, but I'd hate for people to actually believe that when it's so wrong.

Maybe it's just me, but the examples of games like RSV and Crysis seem to be a pretty good indication DVD hasn't become an issue yet.

25. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I believe the devs for crysis said it is possible for both the 360 and ps3 can handle crysis