PS3 or iPhone?

Discussion in 'Games' started by aidanpendragon, Jan 9, 2007.

1. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2005
    I think it's funny that the price points are the same. I also think it's funny that, as resistant as I am to paying $600 for a game console/Blu-ray player, that seems infinitely more reasonable than $600 for a phone. I mean, it's a f*cking phone for $600 plus a 2-year contract (plus, not included in cost, right?). OK, it's got the kitchen sink in there, but I can't see this having iPod-scale mass-market appeal. In many ways, this is the cell phone version of the PS3, not of the Wii (small, white, cute, simple, fairly cheap). Has Nintendo out-Appled Apple?

Please, no flames on "Steve's a visionary, you're wrong because Apple didn't give you want you want, etc." Just trying to make a game-related price comparison.
  2. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    I know what you mean. I'd be more likely to drop $600 on the iPhone than on a PS3. Maybe that's because the former could actually be a useful productive addition to your life (in addition to being really super cool), whereas the PS3 is just for games (I don't care about all the other functions Sony tries to push on you, it's only useful for games).

Of course it's also that we're used to phones (though, usually unlocked ones NOT TIED TO A NETWORK) costing upwards of $600, and game consoles costing $300 or less.
  3. padré macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2006
    ps3 or iphone

FISRT IPHONE, ps3 can wait

no i'm seriouce, the ps3 (exept for the xbox 360 wich i allreay got) was the things for wish i was saving money, but it can wait cause this iphone is so damn hot baby... to bad i'm in europe... :( :p
  4. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    If there is one thing Apple has never been known for is prices :rolleyes: , apart from price, the iPhone is very Apple-ish, the Wii isn't that Apple, just because its white and small doesn't mean its Apple-ish.

I just had to comment on that, I found your Nintendo out-Appled apple comment because the Wii is cheap (because the rest of the iPhone SCREAMS Apple) very weird indeed, I've never bought an Apple product and really thought "bargain" to myself, well except maybe with my Mac Pro which is really well priced. I'd really like to see you elaborate on your PS3=iPhone not Wii comparison.

Hmm as for the $600 for a console vs $600 for a phone comment, well if money was an issue to you you really wouldn't be worrying about expensive cutting-edge phones and $600 next gen consoles, I wouldn't buy an iPhone if I was going to be worried about money, I'd buy a PS3 and a free phone (the kind you get with contracts), if I could only pick one, I'd pick a PS3, there is nothing the iPhone can do that is revolutionary or life changing or anything, sure its extremely cool and wicked in implementation but I can still call people and send SMS with just about any other phone in the market :rolleyes:
  5. barr08 macrumors 65816

Aug 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
  6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

Jul 6, 2004
    In a cup of orange juice.
    I paid $600 for my Sony Clié when it came out. My PPC was $400. This iPone is no different, as in its price fits its level of tech.

Most peeps comare Apple and Nintendo, "not" because of styling, but because of their business practices and innovations. Of course Nintendo will only release tech that's affordable at that time, where as Apple takes the Sony route, and will release tech, even if it's beyond what some peeps consider a fair value.

For what the iPhone offers and can do, there is "no" equal. This thing costs only $150 more than a Zune and it's light-years ahead on features. No phone on the planet can run desktop level applications, not even my Nokia, so for what Apple has introduce here, sure it does your basic features like SMS, but it also goes way beyond something that simple.

I'll be waiting for rev 2 also. I need an unlocked version, I'm not going to touch Cingular.

8 gigs is really tight. I hope they offer a future memory port.

7. happy.buddha macrumors member

Jul 18, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Why not buy the PS3 now and play until the phone is actually available and sell the PS3 around the time that it is available to purchase...have fun now and get the new phone later.
  8. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    as much as I think the iphone is sexy its damn costly + 2 years tied to a contract. eek. (that's what $800 + more)

4/8gb ? A video ipod with 8gb ? No way near enough space for me.

movies, audio, photos, but 8gb ? in 2 years that space is going to seem even more tight.

I think I'll wait till at least Rev.2

But really PS3 or iPhone ? Doesnt really come to the equation. You cant make phone calls on the ps3 or carry it around like a pda. But then you cant watch HD movies and Games on a iPhone. So its a non starter of a question. What do you want ? A console or a Phone.
  9. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
    The phone really is amazing. I have always wanted to have an mp3 and a phone in one device. I know many companies have mp3 capabilities but none have been able to replace my ipod. Too bad the iphone is only on cingular and costs so much. I would have paid $300 for something a little less high tech. I love the features but can't afford them just yet. Maybe in the future I can pick one up. For now, I have to stay with my ipod shuffle and this crap verizon phone. If the ps3 were performing better, I'd pick it in this situation only because of service provider and because I have a high definition television.
  10. darkwing macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Unlimited data with the EDGE network on Cingular (or UTMS where available) is going to run you about $40-50 depending on what kind of deal you get ON TOP of voice service/text messages. I looked into that cingular pda phone and decided to wait to see if Apple came out with something neat. I like the iPhone, but $600 for only 8 gigs and Cingular's crazy data rates doesn't thrill me. If they offered more of a rebate than that I might be excited.

Still, I just might go for it anyway. It's a pretty nice looking device, and 8 gigs is enough to hold several movies.

I think the screen is going to get super oily when holding it against your head as a phone though. :(
  11. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Phone is brilliant but not worth that much (IMO). I doubt I'll be able to pick this up for an 8gb Nano price + extra. It's likely to be a fortune here and I won't bother with it myself. Certainly the kind of phone I'd like though.

Though... Phones do cost quite a bit, but when you consider they're always around. Always on. Always being used to some degree then the price justifies itself a little. I only play games for an hour a day at most, an hour a day on a 430 quid machine? No ta. People just think they should cost less as they're all around us. Like cars too I suppose.
  12. phungy macrumors 68020

Dec 5, 2006
    Save your money and don't buy either.

Wait until the bugs and kinks are corrected.
  13. gloss macrumors 601

May 9, 2006
    16-32gb of internal drive space and I'm on it like white on rice.

I'm waiting otherwise.
  14. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    32GB flash should be more widely available this year.
    It should end up in this alleged "rev 2"
  15. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2005
    Just a thought in that both the Wii and the iPod have great mass-market appeal, as well as the same (in absolute dollar terms) price point - a point which is conducive to moving tons of them off the shelves.

The PS3=iPhone comparison started with price point, but may also go deeper: both have top-of-the-line hardware and are feature-rich, almost too feature rich. The iPod does 1-2 things (music, then movies) very well and cleanly. The iPhone seems to seek to do many things, maybe almost too many things. What I and perhaps others expected from an "iPhone" was a sleek, sexy, intuitive phone, not a BlackBerrying, Google-mapping, iPhoto-taking-and-manipulating, widget-using Swiss Army Gadget (TM).

One casualty of this feature creep is the iPod video functionality that Steve touted: great widescreen, but only 8 GB? Another is the aesthetics: slim, sure, but still has the "hold-a-slab-up-to-your-head" phone design that I think makes BlackBerry users look so silly.

On price: nothing from Apple will ever be cheap, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. But again, the price in absolute terms will be a barrier to greater adoption. I, probably like the mass market, am looking for a phone primarily, with Apple chic, for a $100 premium on the competition. Not the Wonder Gizmo for $600, plus 2-year gouging contract!

Agree with all of this. Didn't mean to imply a PS3-or-iPhone purchasing choice (apples & oranges), just that if I (and others) feel like "$600, yikes!" towards a console/mini-computer, that feeling is trebly so towards a $600 phone. Nintendo has out-Appled the new Apple Inc.'s mass-market iPod approach. Ironically, despite the name change, the iPhone reeks of old-school Apple Computer: a hideously-cool-but-overpriced gadget. Steve is in the press saying "we hope to capture 1% of the market with this." Sounds very much like the old Apple attitude, not the new one, of iPods and Mac Pros that are price-competitive with comparable PCs.
  16. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    I'd buy an iPhone, but there in 2 very different markets
  17. lamerlizer macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2007
    yea they are in two very different market. but i would rather go for the iPhone! it looks so dam cool! :eek: :D
  18. Torajima macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2004
    I probably won't buy either any time soon, but I'd choose the iPhone. Why? I'd use it every day.

My PS2 mostly collected dust... I've played maybe 6 or 7 games on it. So I can't justify wasting $600 on the PS3.

I might buy the Wii once the price falls... but only because it would be great fun at parties.
  19. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    I already have a PS3 and I havea contract with a PCS (Telus) provider for my phone so I can't use the iPhone :( Plus it is too much $$$ and the battery life is kinda lame. I know it is good for what it does BUT, if you watch a few hours of video on it, you can't use it as a phone since the battery will be dead... so you will have to ration your use of it so you have enough juice to make/recieve a thanks.
  20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    I know this topic was coming and to tell you the truth I think the iphone is WAY too expensive...although its very very sexy and I really want one. There is no way I'm leaving verizon/t-mo. hurt my heart when he said the 8gig for 599:eek: ..WTF!

21. BRUUUCE macrumors member

Sep 7, 2006
    i have a 360 and getting a wii soon.... so no to the PS3

im on verizon and i bet just like verizon, the date package is ridiculous and adds atleast 50 dollars on top of your bill. a smart phone without a data package sucks.

even if the above weren't true, i would wait. as an american consumer, it's hard to wait, but you have to. hopefully rev2 will have longer battery life and larger storage, by then, my contract will be up and i just might switch to cingular a year from now. i don't mind dropping that much money, i just want a little more when spending it.
  22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    iPhone. Unfortunately for me...I can't afford to switch to Cingular.

Hardware-wise, I don't think so. The hardware is certainly worth the price...but the price point is very, very high :( Just like the PS3.

Still...unlike the PS3, Apple has the software to back it up.

But I'm not leaving T-Mobile, I already have a plan, I'd be paying hundreds of dollars more by buying another plan.
  23. pcypert macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2006
    If you can "leave the country" cell phone companies have to let you out of your contract. Something about if you're going somewhere and they can't offer service and you're not going to a least that's the way it worked for us when we came to Thailand.

I think it's pretty neat. It's almost a mini for crying out loud but can go wherever. The only thing for me is there are so many new features that could prove buggy that I'd want to wait. Plus my Nokia e61 is sweet for the time being, is unlocked, plays Doom, plays Mp3's, etc and was only around 300ish US. The price isn't so, so high considering what people pay for those crappy HP palm phones in the US. I've seen some up over 1K.

I want it for the business aspect. I can show people slideshows on a slick screen out on the sidewalk if I want to. Play a nice slideshow with music over a headset to someone I meet on the street and book a 5K wedding package on the spot....worth 600 bucks to me ;)

24. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    I've heard this a couple times. I don't know if some markets they hose people in or what, but the 3 cities I've had mine in unlimited data + 500 txt msgs per month is $19.99 on top of voice. You're supposed to pay more to tether to a PDA or laptop, but if you're doing your data usage on the phone itself (this includes all smartphones), it's supposed to be $19.99, at least in the markets I've been in.

Is this a number that people are just guessing, or do they vary prices by that much per your region?
  25. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    i wasn't surprised when i heard of ps3 prices, but i wasn't sold either. no way was i going to shell out so much for a game console. today, after learning of the iphone's price, i'm so going to buy one.