PS3 owners: Do you miss rumble?

Discussion in 'Games' started by themanfromvlad, Jan 16, 2007.

1. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

I'm really curious to know if you PS3 owners miss rumble or not. I know that I didn't mind trading off rumble to use the GameCube Wavebird controller, but now that I'm playing the Wii, I can't imagine racing games or Trauma Centre without vibration.

So are you PS3 owners missing it? Or do you consider it a fair tradeoff for what the PS3 does have to offer?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm not a PS3 owner yet (but will be in march), but from experience I can say that I DO miss the rumble from the cubes 'wavebird' wireless pad and so In all likelyhood probably will miss it from the sixaxis when I finally get mine.

Actually it amazes me thinking about it, how many people on here ripped on Sony for removing the rumble, and yet were ironically the same who said that the 'wavebird' didnt need it. mmmmm interesting. ;)

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Honestly, I wish the PS3 controller had rumble, but it isn't *too* bad without it. Mostly I miss having it as an indicator of when I'm hit and I can't see who's shooting me.

MRU: That's because you still had the option of using the regular controller. With the PS3 you have *no* option. :p

4. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

it would be a nice additional feature, but honestly think I am going to prefer the features TILT brings to the game
    (even though its not heavily implemented yet)

5. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I'm sure there will be some third-party controllers that have rumble, right?

6. cwright macrumors 6502a

I thought I would miss it, but it hasn't really bothered me.

My roommate actually turns off the rumble on his Xbox 360 controllers to save the battery life. I guess the trade-off is worth it.

7. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Its very possible to assume a 3rd party accessory company will make a controller with rumble.....
    However, it is not very plausible to hope that game developers will add rumble to their games, since its not there by default.

8. themanfromvlad thread starter macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

I don't think that's possible. Sony isn't providing anything related to rumble features to developers or accessory makers, so I don't think you can just add rumble into software that doesn't have the code built-in to its programming. Am I right?

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The PS3 doesn't understand rumble code, so without being hacked, can't output it (they're not exactly going to release an update so that 3rd-party controllers can do summat the 1st-party ones can't)

10. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I would never trade vibration for batery life. Has your friend ever heard of battery packs? They're quite cheap compared to AA batteries.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I didn't buy a Wavebird because it didn't have rumble.

Interfering with the gyroscopes my arse.

12. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Don't own a PS3 but have played on it for a few hours.

I miss the rumble...

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Gran Trouismo supposedly will support Force Feedback from a logitec steering wheel, i dont see the third party support as totally out of the picuture.

Wow, your arse has gyroscopes? how about a accellerometer? :p

14. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

not at all. Although a few times I expect to feel the rumble but don't.

I do love the featherlight weight of the sixaxis (lame name..) but I do think Sony should just pay the piper and put rumble back in so as not to give people MORE reason to whine and hate the PS3....

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Far as I remember, it was in the news that it doesn't do force feedback, either. Plus, games aren't coded for it.

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=92768

16. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

For the short while my roommate had his PS3 then sold it to just get his money back, we both couldn't stand the PS3 controller. I definitely missed the rumble, shooters and racing games really take advantage of this. Also, the weight of the controller felt wrong, it was too light and consequently felt cheap.

The Tilt feature we never used in a game because nothing really used it except the Motorstorm demo. I will admit that it make that game incredibly tough, yet fun. I hope that the tilt feature takes off for them because if it doesn't, they make a big scrafice to have it.

To me, rumble is like co-op in shooter games...it should be a manditory feature.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't miss it.....damn I barely notice it on my 360 and wii. only thing I miss a little is the weight of the damn thing....put a stone in it or something sony!:)

Bless

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Ditto. That's exactly why I wouldn't buy it. :)

<]=)

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Playing Fight Night on the PS3 would have better with rumble when it comes to getting hit and throwing punches.

Sony needs to bite the bullet and pay whatever license Nintendo and MS pay. They should put it back in now, while the console is still in its infancy.

I bought StarFox on my N64 just for rumble pack and Metroid Pinball on the DS to get the option.

<]=)

20. themanfromvlad thread starter macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

Oh my gooodness what a sucky way to play boxing in 2007....without rumble. After reading the comments in this thread, Sony should pay the piper and get rumble back asap.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I don't own a PS3, but I honestly wouldn't care about the lack of rumble. I gave up rumble a number of years ago with my Wavebird and haven't cared.

On the other hand, the Wii's muted rumble feels really good because it's so subtle when you're going through menus and you feel impacts while you're swinging. I don't know.

I think I like rumble on the Wii better because it feels like interaction. Pressing the button and feeling a rumble is very different than swinging your arm and feeling a rumble.

I don't think I would mind the Sixaxis' lack of rumble at all though.

22. ZorPrime macrumors regular

ZorPrime

Rumble will likely return to PS...

I had the same thought as well until I read about an interesting Supreme Court case, Medimmune, Inc. v Genentech, Inc, et al., that the US Supreme Court ruled on recently. It had to do with Patents and their corresponding holders. In terms of intellectual property, Medimmune's victory has some serious ramifications that can help companies like Sony and Apple. Anybody remember Creative's lawsuit against Apple , which Apple lost, over the iPod's interface?

It’s a very similar situation with Sony and Immersion (sp?). Immersion sued Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo over rumble tech. Microsoft ended up paying money to settle the suit, royalties and Xbox 360 kept rumbling. Nintendo like Sony said, "Forget you Immersion. We’re not going to pay off a Patent Squatting company." Nintendo ended up developing its own rumble technology. Sony, on the other hand, for some reason wasn’t able or didn't have enough time to make their own rumble tech in time for launch. So, instead of violating an injunction, Sony pulled the rumble tech all together and hacked a motion sensing controller in an attempt to deflect the lack of rumble feature; which I miss dearly… until it's appeal of the injunction was decided or it developed its own rumble tech, whichever comes first.

Which brings us to the recent case I just referred to. In its 8-1 decision the justices basically expressed concern about patents being too easily issued. If Sony can successfully argue Patent Squatting: 1. hinders competition. 2 stifles incentives that lead to innovation and therefore making said company's, i.e. Immersion’s (sp?), holding of the patent as invalid, then this whole lawsuit thing will be mute and rumble returns to the PS3… okay, sorry for the novel.

What am I saying? Sooner or later, rumble will return to the PS3. Let's not forget the original PS in the states didn’t have rumble until later.

23. oligore macrumors member

oligore

I managed to navigate myself from the wii menu into the title menu of zelda, while the tv was turning on, just by using the rumble.

24. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

my tv turns on automatically when it detects a signal......