PS3. Pre-orders at play cost HOW MUCH?

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Jun 13, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Oh. Wow.

OUCH.:eek:

3. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Isn't standard game price £49.99?

So the games are valued at £149.97

So...

PS3 Complete - £400.02 ($733.93)
    3 Games - £149.97 ($275.15)

Obviously UK gets shived with crazy high prices, but this is not new is it?

Are those prices actually that bad compared to already announced pricing?

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

The point really was that the games were pretty lame, I mean Singstar :rolleyes: hardly cutting edge. Also you cant buy the ps3 seperate. You can only order this bundle and that's it. No customisation of games (maybe because nothing spectacular will be available on launch anyway).

Also the fact that the Xbox 360 is already availble for near half this cost, with Oblivion included on the same website. And you can guarantee it will recieve a 30-50 pound reduction at ps3 launch, means the cost of a ps3 seems really, really, really (you get the point) steep...

5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

xBox 360 £230 by september -- hmm, tempting.

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

With the huge price gap you've just demonstrated between 360 and PS3 bundle pricing, do you actually believe a price reduction is garaunteed? That just seems like a pointless business strategy to me... drop prices at the arrival of competition that is already substantially higher priced?

I mean, sure, if the PS3 was getting released at a matching price.... seems highky unlikely.

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

just another reason for me to not buy another PlayStation, just like i didn't buy the first one or second one.... :rolleyes:

8. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Sony is just skimming the top end of the market to get all the early adopters willing to pay that kind of money. If you wait 6-12 months, you'll not only have a much better line up of games but will also see a considerable drop in price for the hardware.

About preordering: If Play doesn't suit your needs you could always just pre-order elsewhere!

All I know is that I'm getting a Wii when it comes out. Way better launch titles and an overall more appealing looking system. The PS3 seems to be nothing more than a PS2 with better graphics and a BR drive.

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

You bet your bottom dollar they will. Can you imagine how many extra sales they will pick up just by dropping say 30 quid. - or the doubt in parents minds when little Johnny says he wants a ps3 that will cost twice as much..

It would also take the STEAM right out of the Sony launch and would be perfect timing.

It's not that they need to, but the fact it would be a publicity/PR success and really be spoiler with the launch of the PS3. That alone is enough reason.

Microsoft are in for the fight and not afraid to jump into the scrap this time around..

You got to remember that Nintendo will be out and will be significantly cheaper than both, so it would also cussion the blow price difference wise between the wii and 360.

Besides microsoft will have enough accessories by christmas that they can write of the price cut /discount and claw it back on the HD-DVD, Wireless Headset / Wireless Steering Wheel etc....

You wont hear ANY confirmation from microsoft until they do price cut, simply because they dont want people putting buying decisions on hold...

10. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well I don't think it'll happen. Price drops are a sign of failure. They indicate that the product is either doing poorly in retail or is about to be phased out/replaced with a newer model. None of that is good for Microsoft. A price drop at the launch of PS3, which will be marketed as superior to the 360, will make it look like the 360 is making room for the new, better, replacement - the PS3.

Come Novemeber one of us will be wrong, heheh...

11. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Or we could both be right, bundle pack could fill the gap between two opinions and basically cover both bases, offering 1 - a saving / better value and 2 - a great pr to show how great and powerful the system is (a gears of war bundle for example) .

12. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

13. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i'm just glad i got my 360 already - i know people who are waiting for the PS3 , but after telling them of a) the wait b)the cost , they are well cheesed off and then say how much they still love there PS2's :D

shame about the price though i might still get one middle of next year

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Europe just kissed Sony a solemn goodbye.

Of course the games won't be £50 when released, the 3 for £150 pretty much cements that. bundle games always cost less. Probably save about £30, £10 off each game. If true it follows my exact prediction of £60 games in the high street.
    I also predicted PS3 doing extremely badly, especially in the UK. but you don't need to be psychic that a system of this price is going to do bad against 2 VERY stiff competitors, haha, even in a non-competitive market £500 for a games machine is ludicrous.

I don't think anybody realistically expects Sony to follow the success of the PS1 and 2 with this. unrealistic prices.

15. belovedmonster macrumors regular

The problem is not that the PS3 is expensive.. far from it, its dirt cheap! The problem is that its being sold as something besides a gaming console, its being sold as an entire home entertainment device that will run your whole living room. And the problem with that is that the average joe who wants a games console alone isnt willing to pay all that extra money for blueray DVDs and the other perks of the PS3 that result from it also being a media centre computer.

I believe that once HD TV takes off, and once media computers in the living room take off then the PS3 will seem like a very good little package that will do everything all in one and cheaply, and as an added bonus has a next gen games console built in too..

But at the mo the average joe just wants the games console!

16. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I'm not so sure about this. I think there will still be plenty of people lining up to get this thing on launch day. Sure, it won't be high-school kids, but there are plenty of people who aren't too bothered spending $600 on a machine like that.

As the poster above suggested its far more than a games console. Knowing Sony it will be very cleverly and well marketed, and they'll position it in the market as a premium home entertainment system. Sony is obviously just tring to differentiate themselves from Nintendo and Microsoft. It'll be interesting to see whether it works out. I'm pretty sure Sony knows exactly what they're doing. After two extremely popular consoles, it would be silling to throw it all away as other posters are suggesting.

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

This thing's going to be AUD$1000 easy. That's huge.... The original PS2 was A$699 and halved in price fairly quickly - there were some very ticked off people when that happened.

The 360 is about A$650 here now, the Wii could be about A$350 - $400.

Pre-orders for the PS3 are going to be super expensive.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not even. People who want BluRay and media centres will jolly well have those as soon as they hit the market. The PS3 seems to be targeted at people who either don't have or don't know about Media Centres. There are cheaper PC alternatives. ACTUAL computers too, not Sony's vision of a locked down Linux on a strange CPU.

Know who the gamers are? Try people under 20. the people not on big wages or on parents money. To just cut out people who can't afford a £500 console is ridiculous. thats a LOT of people. we're talking the remaining market to be something miniscule. Minidisc miniscule.

I just think Sony are a little raw, after having the weaker consoles in the last 2 runs, they say "well eff that" and bring something out thats marginally better than a 360 and costs a frakkin lot more. ho hum.

19. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I still dont believe that bluray or hd-dvd will take off massively.

Especially now dvd upscalers are available for around £80 offering people that perceived image boost with all their existing dvd catalogue for that lcd/plasma for a relativly small price.

Whilst not 'true' hd, its enough of a boost to warrant passing on both the very expensive formats.

When a shopping channel like QVC is plugging dvd upscalers as an alternative to those (yes I know this is to people who dont really have a clue about technology, but that's the majority of consumers) folks at home and offering better almost HD quality for a price 10% of a new format player. The battle may be won before it starts.

20. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I can perhaps just about forgive a high initial price for the machine, but £50 a game (whatever console it is) is just ridiculous.

The trend amongst new releases in the DVD and CD world is reducing prices. In video games its the opposite. We need a video gaming equivalent of Napster to do to the gaming industry exactly what it did to the music industry; to give it a kick up the arse and remind it that consumers won't blindly pay idioticly high prices forever.

21. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

DVD upscaling is nowhere near the quality of HD-DVD or Blu-Ray which are both true High-Def. I'm sure either BR or HDDVD will take off but it'll take some time. The first players are coming out now. People are waiting for more media for them, lower prices for the players and also lower prices for the HDTV you need to get the max out of the medium!
    Just like the first DVD players they are insanely expensive. The producers of the DVD upscalers aren't stupid either. All they're trying to do is extend the life-cycle of the dvd-players, and it only makes sense to market them against the far more expensive next gen players. Its a silly comparison, but thats marketing for you!

22. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

The 480 upscalers and HDMI make a mighty fine stop gap until Next Gen DVD hits the mainstream.

The PS3 is still way too espensive though, it will sell however.

23. belovedmonster macrumors regular

I dont disagree with any of those points, I was just making the point that instead of people moaning that "Damn the PS3 is an expensive games console" they should instead be saying "Damn why did Sony have to make it a media centre? I can only afford a games console".

Personally Im getting a Wii.