PS3 price range given by Sony

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Nov 22, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Source

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051105-5530.html
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001393147

And the older article,
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/24/news_6126410.html

Looks like the latest statements agree with Sony's older statements. They've always said under $400 and are now confirming $300-$400 range. The whole $500 thing was just analysists.

A PS3 for $300 would kill the 360, but I'm expecting $400, $350 at absolute best but unlikely.

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Very interesting article.....Nice to have an idea of how much the PS3 will cost, also the fact that it will come with a built in Hard Drive and bundled with games will really work in its favour....

The only reason i can see going for a 360 instead would be Xbox Live, as i don't think sony's online play will be able to compete....

Shadow

3. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

How do you know that they won't be able to compete? Last we heard officially from Sony, they're building a centralized online network to rival XBox Live complete with an online P2P network, network storage and the ability to access content on your PS3's hard drive from other systems (including a PSP) over the internet.

For many people, Live is a disadvantage, because you're required to pay monthly fees that no one else charges to play online.

4. Aarow macrumors 6502a

I hope it's $300! I just set up my PS2, which was in storage/ at a friends house since New Years last year. Now I remember how much fun it was.

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

That's not really an issue, as most people do not mind paying the small fee for 1 years online play, especially whent he service offered by xbox live is so good.

I hope PS3's online play will be on par with xbox live, but i seriously doubt it will be.....

ANyhow im in no rush to buy a next gen, so i'm willing to wait and see,

SHadow

6. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

*shrug*, well, it's something that bothers me. Many people don't mind, but I personally have an inbred hate of subscription fees. I don't play any MMO's for that reason. I hate the fact that MS is talking about switching everything to subscription fees in the future (even Microsoft office); I can only imagine the insane monthly bills that will come about for that, as we pay for broadband, television, XBox Live, MMO's, and anything else they charge for. I much prefer to pay for it and be done with it.

Especially when you consider that over five years you'll pay $250 in subscription fees just to play online, without any MMO's, and on a PC, Revo, and most likely PS3 that would be free.

Imagine of PS3 charged; crap. That's $10 a month if you have both consoles.

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I've never minded subscription fees much, but I've never played more than one game at a time that has subscription fees. $10 a month is really not very much for a quality game, imo. However, games with subscription fees tend to be highly addictive even if you're not having much fun (which is a big problem, imo.. that way you're wasting both time and money). Furthermore, lets say you're a hardcore gamer and paying for WoW, Tabula Rasa (upcoming MMORPG), Xbox 360's online service, and PS3's online service... I'm sure you can see these charges are really adding up, especially when you put them on top of the system and game prices.

8. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Those MMO's are generally $15 a month, or $180 a year. Throw in $50 a year for Live and IF Sony charged, $50 a year for that, plus your broadband bills, and another $180 for any other MMO's, and we're talking about hundreds of dollars yearly.

And thats why, any time I can avoid a subscription fee, I do.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I think that article may have a false-fact (sorta)

It said
    The cell processor was also built by Sony, and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200411/04-1129E/

10. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I can't day I'm a fan of the Playstations games, Gran Turismo the exception, (but I'm not an MS fanboy - the 360 will be my first console since a brief flirtation with a PSone) but I think this will definately swing the HD/Blu-Ray war in Sony's favour - a next gen DVD player for under $400? I'd be tempted just to get a PS3 for that alone - if the next gen players are indeed retailing around the $1000 mark at first.

Time will tell..... but Sony just got my attention.....

11. PharmD macrumors 6502

At $300-$400 for a game system and Blu-Ray player, they'll have my money day one. PS3 + Revolution = Great gaming fun!

12. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I don't mind paying 50 a year to XBL for ALL games, considering each PC/Mac game costs 1/4 of that a MONTH to play online, and that's jsut ONE game.

SOny needs to eliminate people who connect via dial up. That's one of their biggest problems. There's so much lag in those games because of dial up players. People who have dial up should not be allowed to play these games.

If Sony can build a great online experience, I'll gladly shell out 50 a month. I'll definately be getting a PS3 as well. After Christmas, my first paycheck will include a down payment on a pre-order.

13. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Uhm, since when? Each PC/Mac game costs 1/4 of that a month to play online? Every single game in my library is free. Microsoft is charging 50 a year to play the games you normally get FREE online, then you have to pay for the MMO's (the ones you pay for on a PC/Mac) on top of that.

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Sorry, I should have said "a lot of the games" like the MMO's and some others charge you monthly just for that one game, where as all XBL games are under the same fee.

15. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually, no; the XBL fee covers all the games you normally get free online. For MMO's and the others that charge, you have to pay for them on top of XBox Live. It says so on Microsoft's web site.

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

I ahven't come across a singl;e game that I have played (which is dozens) that charge on top of XBL. So I'm still not affected at all. I don't think I've even heard of an XBL game that does do this. If there are some titles, can you name a few so I know what's what?

Thanks

17. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well, I'm talking about the XBox 360 in this case, not sure about the current XBox. If the current 'Box doesn't charge for MMOs, that's great.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/features/massivemultiplayer.htm

18. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

god that is something i don't want to think about.

19. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Yeah, see, I don't think the first Xbox had any, or many of these games. Maybe Fable? I'm sure the likes of Final Fantasy (if the rumors are true of it coming to Xbox 360 are true) will have a fee like they did on PS2, but for the most part, most games will hold under the XBL fee. Which is good. I know Call of Duty and Perfect Dark Zero are under the one fee.

I guess we'll just have to see. :)

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well on the pc call of duty multiplayer is free ;) ... same for quake 4.. in fact Microsoft somehow managed to make people pay for something which was free before... .. they get marketing kudos for that from me

21. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I think he's allowed to make the same non-factual comments about the PS3 that you continue to spout regarding the Xbox's demise at every turn.

22. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Pricing is still just a rumor

Turns out they never actually discussed pricing and Sony officially today still has no comment on PS3 pricing or release schedule.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=13184

I never trust comments from Sony or Nintendo suits about the status of products in development unless they are actually coming out of JAPAN. If we are going to here something real and concrete it is most likely going to be coming from JAPAN first. It's kind of like Bill Gates making coments about xbox 360 features and then the next day the guy in charge of the xbox division saying Gates was wrong. Actually it's not even like that at all. CNN took the princing thing from a rumor mill. So Stringer never said that pricing bit at all.
    I'm thinking that comment out of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia about games being region free might just be wishful thinking and not substancial. The guy only sited the fact that PSP games were region free, but what does that matter. Every handheld console in history has been region free. Although he did make a good point about not having to worry about PAL/SECAM/NTSC if ATSC picks up as a world wide standard for HD.

23. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If the PS3 was $300, with Blu-ray, WiFi, better specs than the 360, Bluetooth, the ability to connect 7 controllers and two TV's, and included a bunch of TV shows and movies preloaded, it would do extremely well.

It would also probably bankrupt Sony with the sheer amount of losses incurred ;) I doubt its even possible.

I'm not spouting about the XBox's demise anymore. I think it has a chance of selling pretty well. I just don't like it very much because I don't like the kind of games the XBox generally has, and like the capabilities of the other consoles better; my opinion. But I don't think it will die off like I did in the past.

24. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You are correct, although the much older GameSpot article is still valid (but being that its older is subject to change).

25. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

And if you really want to be that pernickity, then it was also built by Apple, Motorolla and Freescale