PS3 problem with airport

Discussion in 'Games' started by tim2006, Dec 29, 2006.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

Picked up a PS3 at target yesterday. It was a 20 gig. I have a wireless apple network for my MBP. 20 gig is not wifi. What can I do to get it on the internet. I would like to go wireless but it is also near my TV that is hooked up to digital cable. I want an easy cheap solution if possible.

tim:rolleyes:

2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

3. darkwing macrumors 65816

Hi Tim. You should be able to share your internet connection from your MBP for the PS3. Just go to to the "Internet" tab in the Sharing preferences pane, and share the connection from airport to computers using the built in ethernet. Then, just plug the ps3 into your MBP whenever you want to play. Mac laptops for years have been smart enough to detect a pc-pc connection and this method won't even require a crossover cable.

Or, you can take the 20 gig back and get a 60. :D

4. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

don't mean to hiJack the thread BUT are you happy with the PS3, thus far? Just curious. Love my PS2 but I'm debating how long to wait before I go out and pick one up. Any thoughts? Thanks!

~e

5. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ps3

I am thinking about returning the unit. Not many good games. Seems like opinions of unit are pretty low. Played Madden not bad but prob not as good as the xbox 360 I sold for the PS3?

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

not to rag on you or anything but it did JUST come out, 360 had crap games at launch too. If you don't like it, and don't think it will get better then take it back and get a 360(again)/Wii.

If you can take it back and get all your money back maybe you should and then buy it again later on if some games that you fancy come out.

and to ~e, I havent gotten to do much with mine yet since I am still at my gf's place (no HDTV, no wireless router, no 5.1 *sssssssssssssssigh*) so i havent been able to do anything other than load some music/movies/pics onto it and play Resistance. So far I really enjoy it, but I have always liked Sony consoles. It's no screaming hell right now though, it is going to suffer the post-launch game lag that every system faces so if you can wait, I would. Personally, I think the 360 is the only must-have right now. Wii is cool but Zelda is only so good for so long. PS3 (in the limited use I have had with mine) is good but not $659.99 good. PSP sucked when I first got it but it is slowly getting better (it only took them 2 ****ing years :rolleyes: ) Hopefully the PS3 will follow suit, just faster.

7. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can return everything and get a xbox 360, extra controler and game and have plus $90.

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

you sold your 360 to buy the PS3 no?

But anyway, totally your call (obviously) but I would probably return and get the 360. PS3's will be around for a long time and will get better games, etc so you can always buy one a year or two or three from now if a must-have game comes out. 360 is good now and has sweet games coming.

9. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Unfortunately you CANNOT use internet sharing to connect your PS3 to the internet. Myself and others from MacNN haven't been able to do this - via sharing on my iMac (from ethernet via airport) - on the wireless settings on the PS3, it can detect the SSID, it sees the network name perfectly, but cannot obtain an IP address. I've tried everything I can think of, security is off, can't connect. Is there some wierd airport/mac thing that isn't compatible with the PS3? Firewalls are all off. PS3 works perfectly if plugged into the cable modem directly (of course).

10. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

In linux, in order to give an ip address to another computer, you need to have the DHCP-server daemon running.

You should find this process somewhere running in the Activity Monitor.

I don't know if this is activated automatically if you activate internet sharing or not...

11. darkwing macrumors 65816

The internet sharing automatically provides an IP. However, I've noticed it isn't smart enough to mess with firewall settings to allow such things to happen. Try turning off the firewall in the sharing preferences pane and see if that fixes your issues.

12. aj98 macrumors member

I dont think there is a 'wierd airport/mac' compatibility issue with the PS3 - I have a 60gb working just fine with an ancient airport base station.

Direct wired connection worked fine, but I when I first attempted to hook up wireless, nothing worked, no IP, no connectivity.

parts:
    Linksys Cable Modem
    Linksys *wired* router.
    Original airport base station.

Configuration:
    Airport: Fixed IP assigned. DHCP server enabled.
    Router: DHCP Enabled.

The issues:

1. In airport security, I configured the wrong MAC address - I allowed the PS3s Wired MAC address, not the Wireless MAC address. (When you do a system information on the PS3, the MAC provided is for whichever connection type is active.)

Fixing this corrected the no IP issue, but not the connectivity issue.

2. used a security ID that was not exactly 5 or 13 characters.
    (One of those 2 lengths is required for WEP40.)

Fixing this corrected the lack of connectivity

HTH,
    AJ

13. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

I'm not using an airport base station though, I'm trying to use my iMac (via internet sharing). I've posted in the Apple forums and they say it's not possible because:

"In the AirPort (wireless networking) discussion areas there have been several threads about trying to use a Mac's Internet Sharing to give a Nintendo Wii wireless access. To date, all of them have failed.

The result of the threads seems to point to the very strong possibility that the Wii uses ports that are not available/opened by Internet Sharing. Since there is no configuration options in this area on the Mac, there is no way to open these ports.

The general consensus is that a wireless router or access point must be used instead of the Mac's Internet Sharing."

This is extremely disappointing, I don't want to have to buy another piece of equipment. Other laptops, PC and Mac, use my iMac's internet sharing as a hotspot - I have a perfectly good 'router' in my iMac, I can't believe there's not some 3rd party piece of software to enable the ports necessary to use this for a game system!

14. aj98 macrumors member

Ah...I misread...

I presume you have tried to manually configure the PS3?

Configure it as fixed IP, with the appropriate IP and subnet for your network.

Use the airport cards IP address as the gateway.
    and your ISPs DNS addresses?

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Get Gamefly and plow through the entire catalogue awhile. You could also start watching Blu-ray movies. I've got one coming from Netflix tomorrow. Resistance was good; I'm selling it on eBay right now 'cause I already ran through it and it's still worth good money.

If you've got a monitor capable of 1080p you'll appreciate the PS3's capabilities.

An easy cheap solution to the networking problem is to snag a cheap router and a pair of Cat5 patch cables. I'm in the process of finishing my Cat6 gigabit network setup. I think I paid $30 for a 5-port gigabit switch.

16. tomt21 macrumors newbie

I finally managed to get this to work, using an ethernet cable from PS3 to the mac and then sharing the macs wireless connection. I read that you couldn't do this but it seems its just hard to set up.

Heres how I got it to work:
    Turn on Internet Connection sharing via wireless
    In the PS3 setup, choose to manually set IP, and set it to 192.168.2.2, manually set DNS (more on this below), and manually set the router to 192.168.2.1, leave everything else as their defualts.

For the DNS, I'm not sure whether you can just set it to whatever it says in your Macs wireless DNS, I read somewhere using OpenDNS fixed the problem so I set both my Mac's wireless DNS and the PS3 DNS to that (google for it to find their servers, its free)

Then when I performed the test I was told I needed to download an update rather than it just failing, and its downloading it right now :)

Hope that helps some people, I was beginning to think it wasn't going to work.