PS3 Question. Nothing is showing up

Discussion in 'Games' started by ilikeninjas90, Jan 21, 2007.

1. ilikeninjas90 macrumors regular

I just got my ps3 yesterday

And after coming back from a friends house where I connected my ps3 through a regular hdmi cable to his tv

Nothing will come out on my tv through the regular red, white, and yellow cables

I cant think of any reason as to why it isnt working
    Could anyone explain?

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You need to change the video output setting back to composite.

3. ilikeninjas90 thread starter macrumors regular

How do I do that?

Is there a switch on the ps3 or tv?

4. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

You can only use one output, which is either the analog multiout, or the HDMI out. If you set it up as HDMI, and need to go back to the analog multiout, you'll need to do this. When you first turn your system on, hold the power button on for an extra 5 seconds. This will auto detect your video settings, and default to whatever your connection is. Hope this helps! I had the same problem when I was testing my HDMI on another TV, and had to go back to component video on my TV. :D

5. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

ololololll....sorry not poking fun, I did this myself.

Yeah, just remember BEFORE you turn off your PS3, if you are switching inputs, or are just going from HD to SD; you have to change your setting ahead of time.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

7. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

No, you must select a Video output and an Audio output.
    They give you this "power" in case you want to use component/HDMI video, with optical audio, etc.
    While I agree its a bit of a nuisance to change(if you travel with your PS3 alot), I prefer it over auto-detect.
    (especially because of the audio/video choices)

If you have multiple video cards in your PC will it auto-detect which one you want to use?

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But the PS3 only has 1 graphics card, just as my desktop PC has 1 video card with various out ports (s-vid, DVI). It detects which one is in and uses that, if you have 2 you get the option to span or mirror.

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, it will. By default PCs almost always use AGP or PCIe #1. You can change that, of course.

But I don't think that's even close to the same as autodetecting video output resolution/mode.

I would think it could default to using the highest available (eg HDMI+Optical of it's connected) and still allow you custom control if you need to have it.

10. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

But thats assuming your using a supported Monitor type.
    With PC, your RESOLUTION doesn't change with output type(per se)

If your can't(or don't want to) use HDMI audio, how would your PS3 determine that without you specifically telling it so.

Say you had Optical Audio, and HDMI video....if it autodetected you would have to change it manually anyways. Because there would be no sound. Since HDMI is the higher quality output.
    I'm not trying to defend this feature either, and auto-detect would be nice, bu t I like having the power to set it manually
    (it takes about 30 seconds to switch inputs/outputs)

11. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well other systems seem to have been able to manage it just fine, I didn't have to tell my 360 to use Optical, once I plugged it in it worked... and even my receiver automatically detected the optical connection and switch to that input method (even though the stereo RCA cables were also connected).

Maybe Microsoft put a magic chip in 360 so it could do these things so easily that are technically implausible.... but somehow I doubt it, rather I prefer to think it's technically quite possible based on the evidence, and that PS3 must just not have took the trouble to put that in.

12. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Its easier when you have one universal A/V output.......we can talk more when MS releases a 360 with auto-detect for A/V multi-out + HDMI + Optical

13. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

True that there is a single video port, although the audio is still separate connectors. Not much difference in the end.

14. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Except that we are talking about completely different VIDEO signals as well.
    HDMI is the reason for having to manually specify.

15. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Sure, but there has even been other systems that used a universal connector and outputted multiple video signals, for example one cable with Component and VGA.

Personally I doubt they put much effort into it, when you've got a product that's incurring as much debt as PS3, the small things end up suffering because the bigger issues are so demanding.

Ashame though, since it's often the small things that can make or break a product and turn it from great to average.