PS3 Retard Pack Completely Unupgradeable - No Wireless Controllers

Discussion in 'Games' started by greatdevourer, May 14, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

2. macrumors 6502

Then don't buy it. Pay the extra few bucks for the premium pack. Did people seriously expect to get the same deal as the premium pack but for cheaper. Of course its not going to have all the same stuff. Thats why its cheaper.... Its a choice for those you dont need wireless controllers and chrome lettering.

3. macrumors 65816

neocell

Yeah, but it's kind of silly not to have HDMI out when it has a BluRay drive. How are you supposed to get it to the HDTV?
    Or does it even have BluRay :confused:

4. macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

So wait, your going to have one of the most powerful consoles yet, but on the low-end you can't even use HD? And then no wireless? Isn't Sony shooting themselves in foot?

5. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I LOVE how MS and Sony cant afford the chrome paint on their lower-end models, though I guess it also works for MS to distingush them, but Sony should be able to distingush the two from the lack of the HDMI and card slots.

Thats gay about the Bluetooth ripped out of it, same for the WiFi. They really, really, crippled the 500 dollar model.

I'm willing to bet that for every 1000 600 dollar models they make, they'll make 3 500 dollar ones. Whos with me?

6. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

FONY P$3 Only $499 get's you errrr nothing more than an undoubtably reduced for the holiday season $359 Xbox 360 Premium.....

FONY are really crapping on its consumers and they need to learn that you DONT BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU.

Hardly any games this generation will require BluRay capacity, so your paying for a device that you dont need, especially then when you cant even watch HD movies on it....

There's a comedy sketch show in the UK called 'The Catherine Tate Show' wherein a couple of characters have a rather dept catchprase that seems perfectly useable in FONY's case... "The Dirty Robbing Bastar*s"....

7. macrumors 68040

takao

that must be wrong information.. it would absolutely ridiculous to shell out 499 and then you can't even use wireless controller with the thing ?

i haven't read it elsewhere but this would be crippling the 499 version even more

8. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thats more than likely why there is still 4 usb ports on the 499 version, to accommodate the controllers.

At least with M$ if you bought the core you could always buy wireless pad.

9. macrumors 65816

10. macrumors 68040

takao

yeah that's what i thought.. wit hthe 360 core package you can at least get a hd later, wireless controllers later but if it's true you can only upgrade the HD on the ps3 lower modell and you're stuck without the rest

11. macrumors Core

Dagless

Sounds like the past few weeks/months have been bad for Sony. Ubisoft and Hideo Kojima saying they're near to jumping ship, this backlash with the entire controller fiasco, the crippling "core" PS3 package.

I remember somebody on here once saying about Sony "the only way for them is down". looks like he/she was right.

12. macrumors Core

Dagless

13. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Is anyone at all coordinating the efforts at Sony any more? There was a time that I loved everything Sony and associated the brand with quality :(. It seems more and more like the PS3 was thrown together with gaming as the last priority.

But I suppose it's best not to forget the massive market lead Sony has - they got there for a reason and no doubt they can exercise that dominance to make the PS3 successful.

14. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

This whole BlueTooth thing... can't you just buy the D-Link USB adapter, plug it into a USB port and bam you now have BT.

15. macrumors 6502a

paddy

No of course people don't expect to get the same deal but the ability to upgrade should be an option. Its not the lack of wireless controllers thats bothering people its the lack of HDMI outand no wi-fi among other things. Seriously WTF?? My €129 DS has wi-fi!

16. macrumors Core

Dagless

Not only that, you can pick up bluetooth dongles in shops for £9.99, less at markets! A mate got one from just buying a 64mb USB flashdrive for a tenner.

you know. I really pity those who will inevitably buy the core PS3 package. I mean in an I'll-pray-for-you kind of way :(

17. macrumors 68040

takao

if the ps3 supports random pc bluetooth adopters .. which i doubt

18. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not a chance, just like the 360 doesnt support 3rd party wireless usb dongles.

19. macrumors 6502a

coffey7

try to find one

what if there is a shortage and the prices are over $1000.Little billys mom will just buy a x360 for him at christmas time.I think it looks fine. I'm getting the higher end model. I just hope I can find one before 2007.

20. macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Sony's incompetence is utterly shocking. The same company that managed to completely annihilate Sega, and shove Nintendo into a niche market has the audacity to make people pay 500 dollars for a version of their new console that is completely crippled to the point that it is un-upgradeable.

I keep shaking my head.

I think Sony's about to learn a very, very hard lesson: Your name brand doesn't mean **** in the end - You're just as receptive to changes in the market like everyone else.

21. thread starter macrumors 68000

A few bucks?!?! It's $100!

22. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

... so GT was playing on a dev box? Thats not surprising, the Wii demos were all playing on dev boxes as well.

23. macrumors Core

Dagless

... They were? The demo stations showed Wii's, all turned on too. at least looking at the photos from the demo floor.

24. macrumors 65816

Hmm, I didn't hear that the Wii's were too. I think the problem with Sony doing it is the serious lack of developer optimism regarding the PS3. Nintendo are really trying for something great - I love the built in speaker in the remote! So yeah, we'll have to wait and see but the new 6 months are going to be crazy!

25. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I doubt it has drivers for that.