PS3 review from 360 owner.

Discussion in 'Games' started by thestaton, Dec 17, 2006.

1. thestaton macrumors 6502

This morning I got up super early to try and land a WII to make some quick holiday cash, but I happend to be #11 in line and target only got 10 Wii's.

The sales accociate told me they had one PS3 in the back if I wanted that, so I said sure why not. Worst comes to worst I'd just return it if I didn't like it.

So I pick up Resistance Fall of Man, HDMI Cable, & the 20GB PS3. Get it all setup on the HDTV and we are off.

Launch Resistance and the first thing I notice is the Nintendo 64 gaming menu. You would think that after dropping almost 600+ dollars I could get some fancy graphics. However, what ever its just a menu so I launched the single player game on medium and I can say the graphics are nice but I saw nothing that looked any better than Gears of War, or COD3 on my 360.

Further more I can not for the life of me get used to the controller. I would not consider my hands to be above avg but both of my roommates agree that the 360 controller is sex compared to the PS3.

Next we decide to try out the multiplayer so I navigate the inrediblely painful setup process that I absolutley hate. If I where to keep the PS3 I would for sure go buy a wireless keyboard.

About the only major plus is that Resistance with 40 players is silky smooth, which still has me in awe. However, the games are crazy with 40 people and it was hard to stay alive.

After football we decided we would try the webbrowser so I journey over to one of my favorite video sites and low and behold, you can't watch WMV content. And can you say popup city? Its so annoying to have to go thorugh a process to close a popup, and the biggest gripe, I have a 60" tv and you have to squint to see the text.

Finally, we decide to try out Talledega Nights to see if blueray was all that it is cracked up to be, and the big answer to this is NO. I have comcast with all the hd movie channels so it was nothing I'm not used to already. And with the prices of blueray around 30 dollars for a movie give me a break.

Cliff Notes.

Pros.
    Online play for Resistance was incredible.
    The system is dead silent which is so nice compared to the military grade jet fighter from the 360 dvd rom.
    Visually its a great looking center piece for a media center.
    Waiting times are pretty much not existant.
    Bluetooth is nice for the headset.
    Upgradeable harddrive

Cons.
    No componet / HDMI cable. Seriously what a joke. I had to drop 60 extra dollars just to enjoy the next gen system.
    - could be bought for less but I made an impulse buy and if I where to keep it I would just buy a cheaper cable and return this one.
    Web browser is awful.
    - popups, poor navigation*
    System update was very slow almost 10 minutes from start to finish.
    - 8Mbps comcast come on now.
    I hate the text inputting process.
    - just terrible.
    Controller is not comfortable although it is very light.
    - just does not fit well in my hands*
    System navigation is a joke and comical at best.
    - while simple I love the 360.
    Lack of interesting games
    - Its still a launch system but I feel its way behind the xbox.

Bottomline:
    I wanted to love the PS3 and I wanted to have my 360 on eBay. However the negatives just keep piling up and if you really plan on me spending 500 dollars to be able to compile a huge list of negatives, invite a majority of my friends over and get opionions and we all tend to agree that Sony is way behind the powercurve. If you have a 360 and are having a great time then I would say give the PS3 a year or so and then maybe we'll have something great on our hands. But for now this thing is a FLOP!

She'll be back at target first thing in the morning.

2. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I agree with the whole HDMI/Component cable part. You would think you spend that much and you don't get the cable with it.
    Web, well its a hit and miss. You can also use a USB keyboard with it.
    It takes longer to install then download. Its the extra crap that goes along with the isntall. Connect using usb, press PS button, agree with their crap.
    Both 360 and PS3 fit in my hand but maybe thats because im asian.
    GUI is alrite for getting to what I want. I want to play games or watch a movie or listen to music.
    Xbox had a year to launch their titles but that halo 3 looks good.

3. wako macrumors 65816

I definitely agree with your assessment on the PS3 controller. The controller worked on the PS2 because during that time, there wasnt much to topple that. The first Xbox controller was way too big, the Gamecube controller just sucked, and what was left was the only thing that could be considered good, the PS2 controller. However, Microsoft totally redesigned their controller after hearing the outcry from the original Xbox and did something about it. Now it works well and is by far the best controller.

Sony definitely should have fine tuned their controller just like how Microsoft did.

The component cables I also definitely agree. If they are going to market it as a next generation console system, it should be next generation out of the box. I personally find it false advertisement.

As for Resistance gaming menu system, you cant really factor that into the grading. I mean seriously, that isnt Sony's fault. Thats just poor dumb developers rushing their game for Sony. Oh wait, I guess it is their fault then ;)

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I disagree. I would rank XBox S >(slightly) GameCube >> Original XBox >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS2.

Granted, I have huge hands, but the GC controller is still easier to hold by far over the PS2/3.

5. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I just don't see anything about the PS3 that is going to make me rush out and get one until a game comes out that I have to have that I can't get for my 360. I am never beyond an impulse buy of course, as this is what the 360 was, so if I walk in and see one, I might buy it, but otherwise, if I can get past the holiday season I will probably just wait until there is a game I have to have.:)

6. BryanP macrumors member

BryanP

I'm in the same situation. I haven't been able to test the PS3 yet but I'll try to compare my experience with yours since I also own an Xbox 360 which I love a lot.

7. wako macrumors 65816

same... now that the PS3 has seemed to have lost alot of exclusive titles, I dont see the point either.

The only thing Im excited about is KillZone 2. However so far it still seems like vaporware

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your excited by a CGI intro ? :confused:

There are some interesting ps3 titles for the European launch, such as Motorstorm, Warhawk, Lair etc...

Just at €699 (yes that's going to be its retail here in ireland :( ) or $915
    + €80 per game or $104

It's gonna take a lot of pursuading to get buyers to pony up after the initial launch fuss.

What's really pissed me off with Sony though is the fact that they make a region free console therefore opening channels to import games (at reduced costs) and then file law suits against import shops to prevent them from selling games and hardware outside of the region. So play-asia etc will not ship ps3 games to europe.

So at the end of the day, what's the feckin point of releasing a region free console if your going to be so anal that your not allowing us to import games from other regions.

Pure oximoron.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

MRU - I think this is a good move myself. Or at least looking at it from Sony's eyes. Firstly Europeans won't be living off imported and cheaper games, plus it does work with travellers. Buy a game in America, play it on a European system.

But to the end consumer, us guys, it isn't good. I can just see how it would be nice to Sony. If that makes any sense :eek:

10. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Good review there thestaton, not that it matters hugely to me as I would rather chew of this left arm *points* than buy a PS3 and risk not playing on my 360 for half an hour of my game free time. However, it was nice to see a good review other than 'Ahhhh, Blu-Ray, the 360 doesn't even have HD as standard, it sux0r0s!!!!!!OneOne1111Two11!!!'

11. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

My biggest gripe about the PS3 is that there is not personality to the system. what I mean is that it's very bland and bare, the UI is too minimal for me and doesn't feel right on a console system. When I start up my 360, it has my name, my gamerscore, my picture, I can look at what my friends are doing, check messages, see what is new on the marketplace, it is very much community oriented. I don't get that feeling at all with the PS3. I didn't realize how much I use that stuff until my roommate got a PS3.

12. pionata macrumors 6502

Well you got both systems, so your quite lucky.

Its going to take a while for the game to use the system potential. Resistance only uses 2 processors while the other games only use the main core.

Wait for the UT2007 engine start gaining some importance and physic processing units become a necessity. FF XIII white engine is supposed to use all the cores. Its all about potential, but I guess you know that, since you bought one.

And the GUI is not that bad, I actualy find it neat... But the PS Store is really in bad shape right now.

Cant wait to get all those RPGs. ;)

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I never saw it like that, good point. Though some might complain the 360 iinterface is a little too cluttered on the other end of the spectrum. Myself - I rather like it. For the reasons you said; it's got personality and function. The Crossbar menu looks very nice on a PSP but stick it on a large TV? No thanks.
    Hopefully people will hack it and make their own soon. At this point I strongly believe a hacker will do a better job than Sony on the interface.

14. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Every time I see bluray movies(on ps3 or on player) they don't look as good as HD-DVD. Even on 1080p tvs they seem too grainy. I'm waiting a year to get one. Maybe they will have a bunch of must have games and get their acts together with the bluray.

15. wako macrumors 65816

i liked the first killzone so the sequel will be welcomed

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

really :eek: well i guess there had to be one person who enjoyed it :)
    some people get off on having their privates stood on, which co-incidentally was pretty much the feeling i got playing killzone, but i didnt enjoy it at all. :D

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actuallty in fairness to BluRay this is a problem with some of the HD-DVD titles too. A lot of films use heavy grain (which is natural in film, but sometimes added to movies even when filmed on digital like Superman Returns).

Seems like I predicted before either were released, seeing HD movies (both formats) is going to depend on a lot of factors, and a lot of movies are not going to benefit hugely. A lot of HD movies with heavy grain look no better than upscaled DVD.

Even though I'm an early adoptee, I'm not convinced from the 13 movies I now own, as yet that the general viewing public are going to see that much incentive to own either format.

18. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Well you hit that dead on. :D (I echo what you just said)
    IMO 85%-90% of the general public doesn't really care about HD-DVD or Blu-ray because most of those people don't own the technology that takes advantage of either, and most of the ones who do [own the tech] don't want to spend the money/don't care/are fine with regular DVDs for now.

I'm most interested in getting an upconverting DVD player, really; I don't know if the 360 HD-DVD player add-on does this or not, but if it does - that'll save me some money. :)

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Both the internal DVD drive and the HD-DVD add on upscale normal DVD but only via VGA cable, not component.

Not a limitation of the 360, but a restriction enforce by the DVD forum.

So if your VGA your sorted, with or without the HD-DVD addon as far as upscaling goes.

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Make that two people because I enjoyed it and I enjoyed the PSP killzone. I must agree with the controller..its so light and the home button takes kinda long to respond.

I think the PS3 interface is the best out of the consoles...nice on the eyes and simple. I had the chance on purchasing a 60gig but after having a lot of time with the PS3..I'm just going to wait a while until more games come out.

Sony why do you have to be so bias towards sanDisk?...why can't my 1gig mem stick work in the PS3?...:(

Sony is off to a slow start but I think they are far away from being done.

Bless

21. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I like the options it leaves for a lot more user customisability, unlike the "you do want to know x, y and z" feel of the 360

22. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Yes, but while it's not out in Europe/Oceania yet, stopping people from importing what is just sitting around is a stupid move from Sony. For a US person it's cheaper/expensive as the option, for an Australian it's game/nothing.
    I think Sony are panicking and not thinking :p

23. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Hmm...I thought regular upconverting DVD players weren't limited to only VGA output? (ie component or HDMI would work/upconvert as well) Now you've piqued my interest; I'll have to look into that when I'm bored tomorrow at work. ;)

24. Moria macrumors regular

How can you say that? Everyone I know says the GC controller was much better than either the PS2 or Controller s. The grips were too small on the PS2 controller and the analogue stick was in the wrong place. The controller s was awkward to hold and didn't feel right. They've got it right with the 360 controller, much better than either the dualshock 2 or 's'.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

DVD upscaling ones are all through HDMI due to HDCP restrictions forced to adopt.
    There are 1 or 2 models with component output that do it, but these are not main brand models generally and
    i'm not sure if they are scating on thin ice legally (hence M$ reluctance to let you do it)

The DVD forum basically have said NO to DVD upscaling through component, why ? I really dont know.