PS3 Scaling issues addressed in SDK

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Jan 29, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

2. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Confusing, more than anything! Why is Sony only releasing an API to their scaler now, and why only partial (horizontal) support?

I have to say, it sounds like the PS3 was rushed to market, and they're still ironing out the kinks.

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm amazed they never thought of this in the hardware. Especially since M$ was touting the reserved hardware scaler on the 360's GPU for a long time before it was released, giving Sony plenty of time to realise that this could be an issue and worth addressing before it was all finalised.

But I guess they simply didnt think about it. :eek:

At least they are trying to do somthing about it now, but it still doesnt sound as capable as the 360's scaler.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Little steps I suppose.

Now, for Sony to drop the price of a slim PS2 :D

5. darkwing macrumors 65816

This is true. At least they fixed the jagged ps2 games issue. Of course, they didn't rush it to market as fast as Microsoft as their units weren't overheating en masse. :)

6. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Haha true dat! I'm even more surprised at how QUIET the system is. They definitely designed it well.

As for the scalar issues, I don't mind it. I like seeing the evolution of a console. I like software updates. It's just more exciting that way! :D

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Industrial design= very good. Aesthetic design=

[​IMG]
    *shudders*

8. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

For the same reasons Nintendo didn't release the Online libraries for their dev kits.
    They weren't ready yet........

9. darkwing macrumors 65816

From that angle, it looks like a choad.

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I guess.. "Will the console I spent 600 euros on work in HD on my TV? Oooh, the suspense!! :p

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

A bit scary isn't it though? Gone are the days when console makers had a date set in stone, and had to reach quality targets by then. Now they just 'get it close' for release-time, and patch to get it up to speed.

12. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Well, when you take a picture of the bottom of a product, yeah it tends to not look as nice. Stand it up and take a picture and then it's not so bad.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

True but as the 360 had its share the PS3 will and hopefully all the kinks will be ironed out soon.

The machine is beautiful I might add and it really good at releasing heat...I guess the other companies was determine not to build a square box.

Bless

14. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Well, when your racing the competition, you make sacrifices to meat deadlines.
    Granted most of these sacrifices are temporary(later fixed with firmware updates, etc.) so its only us that "suffers"
    (even if it is for a few months to a year)

Had MS not released the 360 so early I think Ninty and Sony BOTH would have waited a little longer before releasing their products.
    Of course thats just my opinion....

15. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Is that what the convex chest is all about then ? Helping airflow inside the machine and hence reduce heat ?

Is it much plumper than the 360 or roughly the same kind of space requirement ?

I agree. I think all of them needed an extra 6 months. The 360 heat probs initially. The Wii's fecked up PAL component problems with VC games, PS3 scaler etc... all of these things have and will be ironed out but I wish they had sorted them from the outset.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^^It could be..to give the insides a little more room so the air could flow through. It could be that Sony felt it had to exhale...like how the 360 inhales:)

Bless

17. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Well.....I can say my room is small(12x12) and my window is poorly insulated.
    I can counter-act the cold, by leaving my PS3 on(its quiet and warm) :cool:

I usually don't, but I did notice the temperature in my room rose after leaving the unit on for several hours.

18. benpatient macrumors 68000

software updates...

and now the best reason to get a console is negated....

19. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

on a bit of a side note, when you play PS2 games on the PS3 (since it has been fixed re: the jaggy issues) it pumps them out at 480p instead of 480i. FFXII looks a hair better on my PS3 via DVI than it does over component on my PS2, the colours especially.

20. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Really? Hmm. Wonder how ICO or Shadow of the Colossus would look.

ICO was a half-res game though, pretty early in the PS2's dev cycle for what they were doing, so it probably will still look pretty crud.

21. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

hmm never thought of that, I will fire in SotC tonight when I get home, see how she looks.

22. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Well, SotC supported 480p widescreen on the PS2, I just never got to try it out since I never had the PS2 component cables. Also, my copy of SotC went missing somehow between my move from northern VA to southern CA, so... :(

You ever played ICO? It's the first (and only other) game by the same guy who directed Shadow of the Colossus, Fumito Ueda, and it's similarly fantastic. The two are tangentially related. If you haven't played it, you should definitely pick up a copy.

I actually have a new roommate who works for the company that made Resistance for the PS3, so assuming he sets up his console in the living room I might be able to try out ICO myself. We'll see.

23. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Hmmm, I'm not too keen on being a guinea pig for Sony/Nintendo/MS. Perhaps in the case of the Wii, it might be acceptable if online usage wasn't a major selling point for the device; but not having a usable hardware scaler in a modern console seems like a huge omission.

Unfortunately, it does seem to be way Quality Assurance is going in the general computer industry these days, ship it on time & fix it later. Apple (before NeXT/Return of Jobs) had somewhat of a 'set quality targets, shipping date may slip' policy, after a 'set shipping date, quality may slip' policy.

24. darkwing macrumors 65816

Now Apple has a let shipping date slip with no explanation to the users and wait until the last day on the delivery estimate to inform them policy. That's only for their top of the line models though. The next model down gets them three weeks prior.

What a horrible company.™