PS3 to cost more in Ireland

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22271

Sorry guys. Europe was already paying more for the system, now it just got bumped up for Ireland!

Wonder if Ireland has the most expensive PS3 now?

What was it Kutargi/co said?

"we're teaching discipline?"
    "get 2 jobs"
    ...?

2. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

I'm both surprised and glad to see that someone from outside of Ireland cares about the gouging we are subjected to. Its really disgraceful this price hike and I would urge Irish readers considering a ps3 to vote with their wallets and not buy one until the price drops.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

We've already discussed this matey in the ps3 thread. ;)

In fairness this isnt just Sony screwing with Ireland though.

Wii is €269 here compared to €249 in the rest of Europe
    360 launched at €409 compared to €399 in the rest of Europe

PS3 will be €629 and we all exepcted it here

They all claim its VAT to blame but is BS. Especially if you look at the discrepancy of cost of hardware and the difference they are charging,

But if you look it this way. Nintendo charge €20 more than Europe and yet its the cheapest system. Sony charging €30 more than Europe and yet its €350 more than the Wii ? Whilst microsoft charged €10 more (this has gone) at launch and yet was €150 more than the wii and yet is €10 less than the supposed vat difference on wii.

The price difference isnt right regardless how you look at the figures.

Added to the fact our VAT rate is almost identical to Germany who get the cheaper prices.

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm fond of the place yea. was even going to move out there, had a house built and everything. :eek:
    It's still bad for us brits too. 425 of our lovely Sterling Pounds for a system without a game. I don't know how the chavs are going to afford it.

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Eh, we always get screwed on, and we always buy their products. They know it works, because we "pay more taxes" :rolleyes: In the same way Europe gets a price hike, Eire gets a bigger one. But, even through this, the UK (from what I remember) pays $50 more than we do :eek:

EDIT: Actually, it's more like $20, but still...

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They'll just have to stop buying Burberry clothing and sell a bit more crack :D

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

perhaps it's higher since you are on an island while the rest of europe is not

i don't know where the sony europe big storage facilities are but i guess not in the UK

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So much for the European Common Market ;)

I think its a case of they mostly of they always price our goods and stuff in relation to the UK pricing for Ireland. This is the same for everything including food, clothing.

So our prices usually reflect the £ to € price rather than the general euro pricing.

Games in France & Germany are a hell of a lot cheaper over there than here, and if you look at most of the discs they are manufactured in Eire.

9. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Yes it is, it's just theirs is a l'il bit bigger! :p

It's disappointing, but no surprise. Sometimes it's entirely avoidable too - for instance if buying a Mac in Ireland it is assembled here in Cork, wrapped up, loaded on a container (you can wave it goodbye if you like) and sent off to the European distribution centre near Paris, where it's unpacked, handed off to a courier, and sent back again to Cork (if you're veeeery patient, you can meet it again as it arrives).

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the PS2 takeup in Ireland higher than any country bar Japan? It's a shame if that enthusiasm is something to be taken advantage of rather than rewarded.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL. Yeah that always makes me laugh about Apple cork too. MacPro's are assembled there and yet mine took 6 Days and about 3 or 4 couriers & countries to get from Cork to Kerry :rolleyes:

Yep PS2 ownership is higher here, but after the roaring success of the 360 bundles at chrimbo from Xtravision and such, and the success fo the Wii, I'm not too confident that releasing in March or May is going to be as savage as it could have been.

11. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

They should have a ministore at the factory... I could walk there and back faster than it takes them to mail stuff

12. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

I can see the factory where they are assembled from my bedroom window!

13. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Many years ago the Japanese mafia stole a load of SNES's from a warehouse in Japan.

Just sayin is all :p

14. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Its been said before, and its also been proven wrong before....this is why PS3 is failing comments really piss me off.
    Give Sony a chance to launch globally and have at least one year of market penetration.
    THEN, and only then, can we have logical debates on the likelihood the consoles future.

btw - thats NOT an attack on you...or anybody here for that matter(unless you specifically said PS3 is failing) ;)

15. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Since the difference between the Wii and PS3 mainland and Ireland prices are very similar, it's because of importing/tariffs?

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Then why is the 360 subject to less levy than the wii. ;)

Read through this thread - no one did say that and so it may have been more appropriate to save it for a more suitable thread ;)

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Actually, could it be for the PRF? The article doesn't mention if it's included or not (though I'd be surprised if the price listed was PRF-inclusive).

For the non-Irish reading, the Producer Recycling Fund is a 'tax' of sorts added to the price of every electrical good sold in Ireland. You pay the fee when you buy, then when you buy a replacement the supplier is obliged to take your old equipment away for recycling, free of charge.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It would be €5.00 on all of them though wouldnt it. :eek: