PS3 to Sell for over $450

Discussion in 'Games' started by jiggie2g, May 19, 2005.

1. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

Well it's kinda official now but , Officials from Sony have recently told a local Japanese Newspaper that the PS3 is going to go on sale in Japan for About 50,000 Yen or about $465 USD :eek: . So my best guess is $449 when we finally get it , as i don't see Sony eating another $50. If this is the case this thing must cost about $700-800 to make.

As i Predicted In the other PS3 tread. I knew as soon as they said Blu-Ray , 2 Teraflops and when I saw the Visuals it already set the alarm off in my head that this thing was not going to be $299. Add to the fact that the PSP already sells for $249. so having a $299 console wouldn't make much sense unless they lowered the PSP's price dramatically. Personally I don't think this is good news for Sony or Consumers. as now they have created a new Price segment for Consoles and maybe out priced themselves. Average Mom and Dad are not going to buy thier kid a freaking $500+ Console when u include the Games and extra controller. Families will have to choose between a PS3 or a Decent Home PC for a little extra. Not Good SONY.

Question for everyone now that we know this thing is gonna be Priced so damn high is it really fair to compare it to Xbox 360 being that it cost 50% more. I'm sure If M$ knew about this ahead of time that they would told ATI to put in a much more powerful GPU as price wouldn't have been the biggest restricting factor.

P.S. To all you guys that said the PS3 was gonna be $299...I TOLD YOU SO :D

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/615/615745p1.html

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Any word yet on the xbox 360 prices? If MS and Nintendo can keep their consoles down $100 cheaper then the PS3, MS might win this battle. Either way I am getting PS3.

3. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

I've always said, I think Microsoft doesn't mind Sony going with their crazy specs, because that will cost Sony dearly and make them less able to survive as opposed to Microsoft.

Throw in a lower price point and guess what? That PS3 isn't looking so sharp.

But you know what jiggie? If I still see little punk kids getting their moms and dads to buy them 400-500 dollar iPods, who's to say their rich parents won't buy them a PS3?

4. manicdvln macrumors member

ipods are not 400-500$. No kid have I scene had an ipod that cost that much.

5. jiggie2g thread starter macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

Really how many Kids u know with iPod Photos , cuz iPods don't cost $500. Infact Most people I see on the Subway now are buying the Shuffle and $199 Mini(myself included). It's mainly Adults with the $299+ iPods.

Rich parents are not a good market to target , want an example....look no futher then the mac market. BIG $$$ = Low Market share = Certain Doom...this was the fate of 3DO, NeoGeo , Sega Saturn , Sega CD , Atari Jaguar , Turbo Grafix 16 , Game Gear ,and Atari Lynx.

6. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I would still buy one. A Home PC is really crappy if you compare that to a PS3. A PC is for going online etc... PS3 is for super cool graphics and gaming...
    All i know is that Sony has my money next year.
    And as for Xbox, i couldnt really care how much it costs, i aint buying one... GTA vs Halo 3... :rolleyes:

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

hmm...was gonna buy xbox 360 this year, then ps3 next if they were both sub $300, but looks like i'll be saving up a lot for ps3 then getting xbox360 after price drop. then again, halo3 launches same date as ps3...god...decisions, decisions.

8. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Based on that price, I would expect the PS3 to cost about $349 when it debutes over here. This is because consoles traditionally cost more (dollar to dollar comparison) in Japan than in the US.

To back up my reasoning, the PS2 debuted in Japan for about 38,800 yen (about $380 US), but debuted in the US at $299. This ratio still roughly holds true today, although I do not have exact numbers.

I highly doubt that console prices will go above the $349 mark in this generation...memories of what happened to the $400 Sega Saturn are still fresh in the industry, even after ten years.

9. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Yeah, I guess Sony would want to take a higher loss rather than selling none at all...

I wonder what price point Nintendo Revolution will have. $250?

10. efoto macrumors 68030

I was going to state a very similar point, thanks pinto32. I would bet that we see the PS3 debute in the US for around $349. I will go on record for that price, and come the release date, I bet I'm right. $400-$450 is getting to high for this generation of consoles and for the consumer market. The market isn't ready for a 'gaming console' (albeit packed with other features) to cost as much as a home computer system (including screen, speakers, keyboard/mouse). If it does come out for a higher pricepoint, I think Sony's sales numbers will be quite low.

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Sony predicted the market right. The PS3 is marketed towards the 30's crowd. The same crowd who grew up on Nintendo/Super Nintendo and the early Sega consoles. Well guess what, they're older now, work, and can thus afford the $450 price tag. If you still need mommy or daddy to buy you a game system, look at the Nintendo Revolution.

12. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

If they only go after 30+ it's their bad, because "every" family with children has got one of the three consoles out there..

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I agree with you, Poff. I'm also curious about the Xbox 360 pricing (even though I have no intentions of buying one, being a MS-free Mac user after all). I think $250 sounds reasonable for an intro price of the Nintendo Revolution, given that previous Nintendo consoles (the N64 and GCN come to mind) intro'd around that price point.

14. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

They did cost that much in the 1st and 2nd generations.

15. efoto macrumors 68030

But how many little runts did you see running around with them back then? or even now for that matter?

I think my kid (I dread the day) was whining for an 'iPod' to be cool, I'd buy him/her a shuffle and convince them that it was superior for reasons X and Y, regardless of my personal opinion. I cannot imagine giving a kid (the age that is HEAVILY into consoles, perhaps 7-12) a mini or 'better', its just too large an investment for the more-than-likely situation where its dropped/lost/spilled on/need I go on?

I don't think 'kids' get iPods, just my take but I have never seen a single one evar, anywhere.

16. Eric_Z macrumors regular

@efoto

The majorety of gamers are somewhere between 18 and 30something, or did I miss something?

Allso (speaking of the topic), I would not be suprised at all if Sony introduced it at $449US to cash in on the hype, just to lower the price by $100US a month or so later when things have settled.

17. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

I'm don't play video games at all and I'm going to buy a PS3, even if it costs $500. As of now, the only Blu-ray player available sells for about $3,000 in Japan. This will be the first mass-market Blu-ray player available for a reasonable price. I can't wait to watch movies in 1080p!!!

18. Kid Red macrumors 65816

So no word on the Xbox price? Not that I would buy one, I just want to watch them slowly die and was curious how their price compares to the PS3.

19. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Well they're not little runts per se. I actually meant the teeny-boppers, 13-17 year olds. I see them in the malls and in the Apple store carrying their little iPods.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is if they or their parents are willing to pay a couple hundred for a device that plays music, then the price of a PS3 wouldn't be a big deal to them.

20. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

to rich for my blood . i hope nintendo has their new system at a lower pricerange than this.

21. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

IIRC, I paid $399 for a 3G 30 gig ipod when the 40gig was going for $499-- a year ago this month. Sounds like 400-500 to me. :D

22. AppleinJapan macrumors regular

"Officials from Sony apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan for "less than 50,000 yen each." That translates to about $465 US dollars"

Hear that it means "less than" - Sony are testing the market.....putting out feelers - seeing if they can get away with it, its a typical Annoucement. I really don't think that they will sell it for anywhere near 50,000 yen. I checked the Japanese article and its very vague - typical in japanese.........so don't worry...typical hype

Less than 50,000 yen means many things especially in Japanese eg: WOW, we're getting a console with so much power for $$$$ - its more powerful than the X-box 360 and the games are like a movie etc etc etc

Japanese article:
    http://www.mainichi-msn.co.jp/today/news/20050517k0000e020047000c.html

23. efoto macrumors 68030

Perhaps given that large of a range (18-30) the 'majority' lies there, however I also thought the major market for consoles started out younger towards 8-14, give or take. I got the NES when I was really young, I remember it well....not really, but I was very young.

I didn't mean to say that older people don't play video games, but I personally don't see 'the market' as a whole at 18-30.

Towards the iPod comment calyxman, I agree the teeny boppers do have more, especially in the 13-17 range given. I was referring to younger children, as in my other arguement for the market of a console. Perhaps I am a bit young in my estimates, but I don't think the 'the market' goes all the way up to 30 does it? If it does, great, I'm glad they are taking into account such a wide range of ages, but I just didn't/don't see it.

I do agree with the price drop idea Eric, seems like a common occurance in common electronics and high-hype items. I hope it happens, now just to conjure up the willpower to wait for the drop once the PS3 debutes, going to be tough.

24. benpatient macrumors 68000

"The Market" has been steadily moving with the generation of kids that grew up in the late 70s and early 80s. There has been some fall-off, and a lot of pick-up on the back end, but you will find that the "average gamer" age will continue to rise as people who grew up on Atari and Mario will keep on gaming. They didn't "grow out of it" yet like a lot of people in the business thought they would. Average age for an online PC gamer is over 20, now...that was unheard of even 7-10 years ago...

25. efoto macrumors 68030

Makes perfect sense, I just never cared to read about it and never heard anything on the subject so I assumed that 'gamers' where like I was when I started (7, 8, whatever).

After your statement, and a little pondering, it makes even more sense since I still play games on occasion, and a lot of my friends at university still play, some addictively so, and we are all over 20....interesting. Thanks for the insight, I have been enlightened yet again today.