PS3 via ethernet to airport wireless

Discussion in 'Games' started by tim2006, Jan 3, 2007.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

I have a MBP and a PS3. I conected then via ethernet cable, opened up sharing internet on the MBP and allowed sharing from air port to built in airport, turned of firewall and allowed file sharing. I set up the network settings on the PS3 found some instructions online. When I test the network connection it fails and I get an error message

2. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

this is the message i get an error occured while resolving the name with the server

3. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

anyone? I am going to have to carry it upstairs to my airport and plug it straight in. any ideas?

4. aj98 macrumors member

I went through this last weekend...

I could get an IP address, but failed the network connection test.

When I locked down the Airport to specific MAC addresses, I inadvertently used the wired MAC address on the PS3, not the wireless MAC address.

Changed it in the airport config, and all was well.

If I recall correctly, go to System Info on the PS3, and it will give you the MAC address of the active connection.

5. ../ben macrumors newbie

What does this mean? :confused:

I'm having the same problem, but I don't understand how to configure the Airport as you described. I can get the mac address from the PS3, but I'm lost on the rest...

6. aj98 macrumors member

In the Airport configuration utility, you have 2 options
    1. allow any computer to connect
    2. restrict computers allowed to connect.

If you use option 2, then you have to enter the MAC addresses of the computers you want to allow access to the airport.

Enter the MAC address of the wireless card in the PS3.

when you go to system information in the PS3 menu, the MAC address it shows is the MAC address of the active network connection.
    If, in the network settings, you have selected wired, then the MAC address shown will be for the wired ethernet card.
    (This was the mistake I made, b/c out of the box, I had connected and configured wired - so I had made a note of the wrong MAC address.)

I changed the network settings on the PS3 to use the wireless connection.
    Then back to PS3 system information, which then gave me the MAC address for the wireless card.