PS3 vs. 360 (2 Months Later)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Shacklebolt, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Well, roughly two months.

I own 2 PS3 games. I haven't played R:FoM in forever. I just bought Virtua Fighter 5, which so far has been... alright. It's been getting good reviews, so I was hoping it would be something different - but I haven't been good at fighting games between Street Fighter 2. I ruled at Street Fighter 2.

That the PS3 doesn't have games that really excite me yet is bothersome, but I'm okay with it, because the PS3 has become a rather central feature in my home theater system, as meager as it is (26" Flat Screen 1080i/720p). I worry sometimes that my somewhat prolific use of it as a DVD/Blu-Ray player is ging to have adverse effects on the system in the long run. I'm hoping it's somewhat durable.

The PS3 has turned out to be louder than I would like. It might be a bit quieter than the 360, but not by much when it's going full throttle. I definitely miss the gameplay of the 360. I miss the 360 in general - it's not as elegant, it's louder, the HD-DVD Player, Wireless, and console come in 3 different pieces, but still, I like it more. It's more fun to play with other people.

I DON'T (yet) feel like the PS3 was a waste of money. The "potential" factor is begin to wear a little thin - with the thing flat out costing 600 bucks, it would have been nice to see a full-out blockbuster at launch. Sony is going to have to find other ways of making the PS3 useful until it starts knocking it out of the park with stellar releases.

I don't particularly miss the rumble - we didn't even have rumble until N64, and games haven't necessarily gotten any more fun since then. All there is to do... is wait... and wait... and wait...

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I like my ps3 a lot. But.... game wise and for online my 360 still beats it at this point and I'm sure games will get better. I'm looking forward to Motorstorm and I've orered F1 too.

I really like VF5 - but I think it does suffer from a lack of gameplay modes and no online mode. The landscapes and backgrounds to the levels are a bit dull, but the character animation and detail is excellent.

I don't think online gaming is going to surpass Xbox Live (though I'm open to being proved wrong) and so for that reason all my online playing games that are multiformat (G.R.A.W - R6:Vegas etc.) will be bought and played on the 360. Playing those kinf of games in a clan really adds to the enjoyment.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I can see what you're saying, but I think that everyone has their own unique set-up and experience with the PS3 and 360. I bought a PS3 on the day after launch day after have been playing Resistance ever since. Despite playing a lot online there's still medals to be won and the game is still interesting; clans certainly add another element to the game.

But on the other hand, there are certainly games I'd like to play to play on the 360, which is why I plan on buying on very soon. I'm buying it for 2 reasons, 1. to have a system to take to college (can't take the PS3) and 2. the 1st party games I can't get anywhere else, I really want to play games like Dead Rising and GoW. And even though I detest MS I think I can put that aside and buy a 360.

4. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

The PS3 has a very promising 2007 launch lineup, there are even some potentially awesome exclusive IPs and the usual sequels like GTA IV, MGS4, DMC4, etc all look like they will be great.

I think come this Christmas it will be very interesting to see how the two consoles fare.

5. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Eh, people who say that kind of stuff kind of irk me. I own both, I like both, albeit for different reasons. There's definitely no reason to be hating on either, unless they start full-out breaking on you <knock on wood>

6. Old Mac Geezer macrumors member

One of the reasons I avoided the PS3 was because of the built in Blu Ray. Not only does it drive up the price, but playing movies in your game console causes the drive to wear out faster. When you are playing games, the drive gets to spin down once in a while but when you are watching movies, it is constantly on. My PS2 died a premature death due to watching movies in it. I am glad Microsoft made the HD-DVD player as a seperate component. I watch both HD-DVD's and regular DVD's in it to save wear and tear on the console DVD player. At least if the HD-DVD player breaks down, it is cheap enough to buy another one and I don't have to stop playing games while it is down. With the PS3, both your gaming and your movie watching stops when the Blu Ray player breaks.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

My Uncle has had a PS2 since launch and STILL uses it as his DVD player, no problem, Several friends of mine had done the same up until they got 360 and none of theirs broke....

8. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Wouldn't it be the opposite? Constantly starting and stopping seems like it would cause more physical stress than something constantly moving at the same speed. Kinda like a car or a hard drive.

I don't think that one reason should suade you not to buy one, that's what theyre built for. Just my thoughts.

9. Old Mac Geezer macrumors member

Not really because in some games the drive can stay off for long periods of time between accesses.

10. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Care to prove this with some facts/sources, other than your own assumptions/opinions?

Searching around the MTBF for most CD/DVD drives is 50000 PoH (5.7 years) - 100000 PoH (11.4 years) depending on the brand.

Ed

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Still though, it wears out faster. Could shorten it's life by a fraction of a second but the point would still stand.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

eeek a fraction. :eek: no wonder Nintendo saved us all from putting in a dvd player ;) oh wait.... aren't they releasing one :D

In fairness to Old Mac Geezer. Your PS2 didnt die because of movie playback - it's laser died because Sony use cheap ass lasers in their ps2's and always had (just look ps2 laser problems on google).

I have had 3 fat PS2's die with laser failure and I never watched DVDs on them.

13. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

They used cheap lasers in PSones too. o.o'

I went through 9 of them. EB wont sell me an extended warranty now. :D

Guess they gotta cut costs somewhere. I hope my PSP laser lasts. I love that lil guy. :)

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Are we going to see another thread like this when the black 360 is released later this year? :)

<]=)

15. angelneo macrumors 68000

Yes, I am actually waiting for MGS4, FFXIII and GT5 before I buy one. :)