PS3 vs 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by kammron, Oct 15, 2006.

1. kammron macrumors 6502

kammron

im going to get a new console...
    but i dont know what i want to do.
    should i buy and 360 now, or wait untill i can get a ps3 following all the preorder hype.
    people who have 360's, how do you like them?
    im more for the sports games, and i know i wont be dissapointed with 360 versions of nhl or nba.
    but will the ps3 really be that much better than the 360?
    i remember back to the earliest ps2 games which were break through,
    and when we look at them now they look like crap,
    so i think games on both consoles will just improve overall.
    a)360
    or
    b)ps3

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I have a 360, but will get the ps3 asap.

Will you use it to connect to the internet?, without online gaming, the 360 is NOT worth it. With a connection 'halo 3'.

If I were you, I would wait for the ps3 to come out, then buy the 360 with the price drop. wait about a year for the problems to be ironed out, and good games to be produced, then get a ps3 with a price drop.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

360.....they mult-platform games will look similar(most mult-plaform games are never the top games graphicly on any system) also 360 has some great games today, along with more great ones coming out.

Not to mention you'll need to go through hell and back to get a PS3 this year!(Assuming your live in the USA, and if your in Japan and plan to get one..I'd settle in for longer wait then the US, because 100k units will be gone SO fast

4. kammron thread starter macrumors 6502

kammron

im not to much for online, i never have been.
    ussually just play nhl,nba and madden types when buddys come over and sqwobble with first person shooters.
    so i doubt id subscribe to live.
    but i live in canada...so for us the ps3 is dirt cheap...$549 canadian is like $520 american. so canada gets the best deal for ps3's.
    but the xbox is 500 and im guaranteed one unlike the preorder hassle, which is pretty well at the bottom of the barrel nation wide.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Chances are multiformat games will be indistguishable on 360 & PS3
    Some will look better on 360, some PS3, some none at all.

Power wise they are about the same and this has been covered a huge amount in the past.

Your best bet is to wait and see peoples reactions and the first run of reviews for the PS3. Chances are you wont be able to get one till the new year, but by the end of November at least all hte review sites will have them and the games will be covered.

IGN will tell you exactly the differnce if thre is any - but dont expect anything major if any. You'll then be in a better position to make up your mind, you can choose to wait for PS3 or just go aout and buy the 360 safe in the knowledge that you know the reviews and differences fully.

There are still ? over PS3 such as online gameplay and we wont know the final outcome of this till release.

Cant remember, but I thought I read the 360 have the exclusive rights to Madden & NHL from EA this year on Next Gen hardware ?...

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I don't think that the 360 is worth it without online.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

cowtown sucks :p (kidding kidding)

I would go for the 360 right now. PS3 is gonna be hellish to find, its more money and doesn't have the games since it is just launching. 360 has a decent library now, and with games like Gears of War, Splinter Cell, Viva Pinata (although i think it looks lame, lots of people are psyched) and a few others coming this holiday season, its a good time to pick one up.

Not to mention at the premium 360 comes with PGR3, 3 months of Live, and 1250 points, and if you play your cards right you can get another game or two with it bundled.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

yeah we got that from your first post ;)

and to a certain extent I'd agree, but I dont see how this is going to be different with PS3. If most games are multiformat, then those like R6: Vegas & COD3 are going to be the same experience online and off, and it seems online is really where it's at with most games these days.

The only reason the PS2 was more offline was because of the dire Sony network, this is the big thing they have tried to rectify with PS3 so I imagine it's going to be just as much of a pushed feature as Live is on the 360.

9. kammron thread starter macrumors 6502

kammron

im probably gonna go ahead and buy a 360 in the next week or so.
    ive been looking at games and reviews for a while and i think a 360 would suit a guy like me who just playes games for fun here and there.
    i get a hardcore gamers vibe from the ps3 and thats not me.
    i just hope gtaIV is multiplatform.
    i gotta kill me some hookers nex gen style:)

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep GTA IV is indeed on both, but the 360 has the advantage of exclusive extra content/episodes that will be availalbe to download over the PS3 version.

Whilst your waiting for GTA - go get yourself Saints Row. It's basically GTA but with a heck of a lot of improvements over GTA and it looks amazing too...

11. kammron thread starter macrumors 6502

kammron

thats a big reason im lookin into a 360.
    the expandability that a game like saints row and hopefully gtaIV will carry is gonna be awsome.
    i think a lot of games are gonna be great on either system so i think an xbox is a btter choice

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

there's that word again... (almost) nothing is exclusive anymore unless it is made by a first party dev...

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm hearing very good things from the 360 now. I get to buy a system without being forced into a next gen video format which saves me money! woots. No games have grabbed me as much as the next Zelda game though... Wait and see time. But with all my mates getting 360's it might be fun to have a few online battles against them seeing that local multiplayer games are being forced out these days.

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I would definitely disagree that 360 isn't worth it without online. I have mine connected, but rarely use it for more then Live Arcade and Demos (which are nice, but not a breaker imo).

Unless you absolutely must play Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3) there isn't many reasons to rush out and get one in the next ~6 months. It's going to take awhile before there is a lot of great exclusive content on PS3, likely 6-18 months. Plus, unless you want to stand in long lines very early or try to snag a PS3 off eBay you might be forced to wait.

In terms of cross-platform third party games, you will likely get the best versions of the games on Xbox 360. I've heard it said already that the 360 version of cross platform 360/PS3 are running faster and smoother on 360.

Because the 360 has been out longer, it's very likely that in many instances games will be made for 360, then ported to PS3. Games usually turn out best on the platform they were originally developed for, so until games get developed on PS3 first, the best versions will likely be on 360. That will probably be true for quite some time, since developers have more experience with it AND it will have more units on the market then PS3 for at least a good while.

My vote: Xbox 360 - For at least the next 6-12 months it's going to have the most games, the best games, the better cross-platform versions, and a lot more high-profile "high-budget, AAA" titles such as Gears of War, Mass Effect, Halo 3, etc.

PS3's day will come with MGS4, FF13, etc... but that isn't happening any time soon (MGS4 and Halo 3 probably will get released around the same time frame next holiday).

15. Keytachi macrumors regular

ill say PS3 cause 360 is microsoft and im against all bill gates/window/microsoft stuff :p
    now seriously go for PS3 i belive its the best Blu-Ray and everything

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I would say the 360 but the monster is soon here BUT you won't be able to find one so go with the 360.

I agree slighty with the 360 sucking without online stuff but there are games that are a ton of fun without online so its sort of on the line for me.

The Wii and 360 would be your best bet for 2006.

360= power/great online stuff
    Wii= wiimote and zelda

Bless

17. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Yeah.... that quote alone would make me want to buy a PS3!!!;)

18. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

my bet is that by the fall, next fall. PS3 will not only have done very well, but the games and progress in sales will bring it close to what XBOX 360 will have sold.

Also, you can play Blu-Ray Movies on it. with the unit being nice and neat, one single box. Xbox aint that.

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i guess it depends on the games ... ps3 is very likely going to end up with more roleplaying than the 360 but the 360 might be more shooter game stuff

build quality wise i think it's tough to decide .. microsoft has the better quality on controllers, while for the system both are worse than i nthe past though the 360 will be improving hardware wise sooner since the ps3 with all it's quirks is just coming out

price wise it's pretty even since with 360 you are paying for online which over the life cycle of the console evens out the price

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your predictions are contary to every market anaylst who have predicted that the Xbox 360 will continue to lead the pack until 2008 when the gap will be closed due to Japanese sales of PS3 in comparison the Xbox 360.

However they also predict that by the end of the lifetime of these machines they pretty much will have sold around 35 - 50 million units and marketshare will be pretty much 33/33/33% split (or small variant of i.e. 35/33/32)

Sony will have lost the lofty position they had built up with the PS & PS2 - but will still be in a very good position, as will the Wii & 360

All three consoles will be a success, the really interesting WAR will be the Next Next Gen...