PS3 vs Xbox 360 elite

Discussion in 'Games' started by antonwalker, Mar 31, 2007.

1. macrumors member

I'm gunna get one and I want to know the cons and pros of each. Im sick of looking at windows or sony fan boys websites saying how good their system is. I want unbiast info. Dont make this a war zone please.:D

Thanx in advance.

2. macrumors 604

zap2

You'll never get unbiased...most of us here like one or the other.

Personally I'd go with the Elite over the PS3..not really for the harddrive, because I'd never use it all, but its nice to have. If your looking ofr harddrive space, you could always upgrade the PS3. Either way there most then I'd ever need...not sure about you.

Both have HDMI...although I think the Elite ships with a cable, the PS3 doesn't. It also ships wiht composite/component...while PS3 only ships with Composite.

The system themselves are botth nice looking...I like the black look of the PS3 over the black Xbox 360...but I'd take white over either.

The controller on the XBox 360 is world better then the PS3's, but that a personally matter. I will say I'd rather have rumble then have arsed motion sensing.

For games the XBox 360 has more choice currently...and it will stay that way for a while. Plus I'd sayig XBox 360 is going to have better games at the end of this generation, but that a personal call. But no one can say the PS3 has more games right now.

Price the Xbox 360 win..its comes with more in the box, plus it 30 dollars cheap(or 130, but then you get Wi-Fi), thats assuming you don't want Blue-Ray/HD-DVD...is you do the PS3 is a better buy, if your going to watch more movies then games.

End of the day, I'd go Xbox 360 Elite then PS3...the Wii would be first, but you did ask about that

3. thread starter macrumors member

I already have a wii. And I am looking for something with a lot of more graphical capabilities. What has better graphix. And how inferior is ps3 online community to xbox live.

4. macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Well no Wifi is lame, and is $100 add on. No HD-DVD may or may not matter to you, but seeing as the Elite is clearly aimed at HD people (why else do you need 120GB HDD and HDMI?) it seems a little silly not to add it or at the VERY LEAST have a black HD-DVD Drive. Maybe they know something we don't? And I was reading that the HDMI in the Elite is the 1.2 spec NOT the 1.3 so all the nice True-HD and DTS-HD audio ain't gonna work with you HD-DVD player, which again, is odd considering that this system is for HD people. And it doesn't seem that the 360 is getting the smaller, cooler and cheaper 65nm chips yet either...

But it does have the bigger library which is good, Live is #1 for sure, rumble if you like it, and it's cheaper providing you don't need Wifi/HD-DVD. And if you are obsessed with points (as a few of my friends are) then achievement points are for you.

PS3 may be media overkill if you just wanna play games, but if you like your Home Theatre than it's a better way to go than the 360. More expensive, obviously, a bit clunkier as it has yet to get all the little firmware goodies that the 360 has, no rumble for now, and frankly, the game library is fairly slim for the time being.The PS3 is WAY more quiet than the 360, although the new 360's (including the Elite) have a quieter BenQ drive, so that negates that. PS3 online is good, but not great. Not very well integrated with eachother but it's free and games work fine. 40 player Resistance battles are quite something. The PSP-PS3 integration is cool but nothing special for now anyway.

I would suggest going to IGN or whatever and looking at previews for both systems. Find which game has better exclusives that you dig and then base a decision off of that.

5. macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

PS3
    pro's : open architecture, powerful system, blue ray drive.

con's : lack of vibration in the controller, cheap wire (basicly a USB cable) that connects the controller to the system easy to break, no way to replace the battery's in the controller unless you take it apart, high price, easy to scratch the disk. the controller is also easy to break. have to have the controller connected to the system with it on to be able to charge the controller. its online ability's

360/ 360 elite

Pro's : easy removable HDD (120gb HDD in the elite version), very tough controller, removable battery packs. a recharging station for the battery pack's you can buy. good cable that connects the controller to the system that wont pop out of the controller during play. wont scratch disk's, HDMI port (306 elite version only), XBOX Live

con's : overheats (rummored to be solved with the CPU die size going smaller in the next gen 360 elite), cheap optical dvd drive could cause problems with the system not loading a game (also rummored to be solved with a better quality dvd drive in the next gen of 360 elite), no built in wifi (can add it with a add on), lack of a HDMI port on the system (orignal 360 only)

now since i dont own these systems, i am lacking allot of the Pro's and Con's of each. what i said above is from seeing what people say for each system and from what i have seen (from my friends systems). both systems have there good and bad.

maybe more people can add some Pro's and Con's to each system that i havent said.

6. thread starter macrumors member

I am starting to think about the ps3. Blue-ray and whatnot. I dont think i need that big of an HD. I probly will wait for better games. What about pure graphics power?

7. macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^^ I would ignore the cable that plugs it into the system, thats why they are wireless. PS3 uses a USB cable while the 360 uses its own cable. The 360 cable is nice and long which rocks (PS3 comes with like a 3 foot usb cable :p) but it costs $30 which is lame.

And dude, BD don't scratch any more than a DVD does :p

In terms of gfx power, most people seem to say the PS3 has a better CPU while the 360 has a better GPU... but the debate generally comes to they are ~same and it's all about making games optimized for the system

8. macrumors 604

zap2

Currently Xbox 360 has better graphics, but its really close, hard to see on multiplatform gaming. Xbox live is very very, kicks the crap out of PSN, however Home is coming soon, I'd rather have Text based online but its up to you.

9. thread starter macrumors member

Maybe i should just build pc. Cause ive been thinking whether to get a console or build a pc. I can get more graphix power out of a pc than the consoles. I cant get a cpu with 8 cells or 3 cores that are multithreaded. I can always get a a BR drive later when they are cheaper end then just plug my pc into the tv. Do you guys see any faults in my plan?

10. thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean

11. macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

really if you look at it, the 360 and PS3's GFX abilities are about the same. systems are more than just its GFX ability's or power. you got to look at the game itself, GFX dont make a game its the gameplay that makes the game. if you have a game that looks awesome in GFX but play's like super mario bro's. then IMHO it suck's and not worth playing or buying. you got to take into account what you like to play and what you like a system to do.

with the 360 you get a great online comunity, arcade game downloads, movie trailer downloads, game demo downloads, and allot more. PLUS you can hook a MP# player up to it and play it threw the 360 ( the PS# has this ability i would think as well)

see you also got to look at SONY's stance in the game market. its rummored that some 3rd party SONY only games will be making it to the 360 cause of its success so far. you also got to look at why the real reason is that stores have a PS# in stock all the time ( it isn't cause of a good supply chain) thay are just not selling. the reason you see a 360 in stores is cause allot of people own one ( 11 million units sold so far, compaired to around 2 million PS3 units, compaired to 5 million Wii units), if you ask me SONY is in a hard place and can lose 3rd party support for PS3 only titles,

case in point 3rd party developers are going to go to where the money is. so far the PS3 has yet to produce the numbers to make the 3rd party developers to make PS3 only games. the better market is to make a game on all systems than just one. but being the 360 has a huge number of sold units means they have the more probability to get a system only game from a 3rd party developer.

12. macrumors 604

zap2

I forgot to type "good" in that quote....Xbox live, kick the crap out of the current PSN(Playstation network), however Sony is coming out with Home for the PS3, its like 2nd Life and The Sims had a kid with XBox Live.

We don't know all the info about it yet. What we do know if you'll walk around in a virtual world to talk to people, to watch films ect, when using PS3 Home. With XBox live it all done in 2D, with text.

I'd go to Wikipedia and search "PS3 Home" for more information

13. thread starter macrumors member

14. macrumors 604

zap2

More like

XBox 360-10M
    Wii-6
    PS3-2.5

This site puts MS at 9.8 XBox 360 sold, but I don't know about that.
    http://www.wiiloaded.com/wii-news-Nintendo-sells-6-million-Wiis-ahead-of-schedule-a-7704

I do know when MS said the got to 10M units, it meant the shipped 10M units.

Good call

15. thread starter macrumors member

I already have a wii for super awsome gameplay. I want a graphics powerhouse.

16. macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

i see many faults to your plan, for one the money spent on a console to build a PC will never come even remotely close to the GFX power from a console. you got to look at it this way , hardware in a console is almost always the same so game developers can take full advantage of the hardware and the said game run smooth and look awesome, wile there is so many different configs of a PC its hard to make a game run and look the same as the consoles version, cause the developer has to make every part of the game works on allot of different hardware configs, which can take away from the GFX ability of the PC.

heck look at the xbox and halo 1 and 2 you would never see that level of GFX on a PC running a 733mhz celoron or PIII for that matter running a 16mb vram video card with 64mb ram.

you cant really look at the power of a PS3 VS 360 as a selling point, cause both are really powerful system's. both are just about equal in power. you have to look in what the system can do and if its what you want a system to do. if you want to make a game console into a PC then go for the PS3's open ended architecture.

17. thread starter macrumors member

I DONT WANT TO RUN LINUX EWWWW

18. macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I whould go with the ps3, the elite is a xbox 360 with a bigger HDD no WI-FI, no HD-DVD. all you are paying on the elite is the bigger HDD and HDMI.

19. macrumors 68000

sam10685

same here 'my good man... i'm going to wait though and see what's happenin around the time of the launch of Grand Theft Auto 4. as of now i'm thinkin PS3.

20. macrumors regular

If that's the case then you definitely want the PS3. I have both the 360 and PS3 and half no preference for MS over Sony. At the moment I play the 360 slightly more than the PS3 as most of my friends are on XBL and none have a PS3 yet.

I spent quite a bit of time online playing PRG3 and recently spent this time playing F1 on the PS3. When I went back to playing PGR3 the other night I was shocked at how much better the graphics of F1 are compared to PGR3. F1 really is awesome and Motorstorm is no slouch.

I think in 12-18 months the PS3 will be by far the better console with noticably better games, a better online experience and a larger range of blu-ray movies over HD-DVD.

Matt

21. macrumors Core

Dagless

As somebody who doesn't own either system, but with the only system missing from the house is a PS3, I'd say get a 360.

Larger library. No 3rd party devs flocking away. Rumble today. Online gaming today. No kooky resolution stuff.

Downside? No built in WiFi. No keyboard & mouse support ingame (come on, I'd replace my PC with one if they did that).

22. macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

well you can add wifi to the 360 with the add-on for it. if you dont have a HDTV watching a blue-ray movie or a HD-DVD movie will look almost the same as a normal DVD. hell even when you compare the Blue-ray and HD-DVD you can almost not tell the difference. if you ask me they have the same quality. its just another disk format war like what was with DVD-R and DVD+R which are the same size but are not compatible with each other. same with the DL DVD's

the selling point of a game console should what it can do (not power or GFX wise) cause both can keep up with each other. don't you think in 18 months the 360 wont get better or something, cause your are very wrong in that respect. if you ask me the 360 and PS3 will be matched. the 360 can do things the PS3 cant and the PS3 can do stuff the 360 cant. but each will produce great quality GFX. if you look at elder scrolls (for 360, PS3, and PC) they are all the same. each have there flaw's

23. macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

24. macrumors 604

zap2

What? With out an HDTV, there shouldn't be a difference right? That what I though..I don't have Blue-Ray or HD-DVD so I'm just going with what I though

25. thread starter macrumors member

Right now I'm kinda in favor of ps3 or PC. But all my friends have a 360 and I want to play with them. With a pc though I can play with all of em.