PS3 - wait or buy now?

Discussion in 'Games' started by aholden12592, Nov 27, 2006.

1. aholden12592 macrumors regular

So (let's pretend that the PS3 is always in full stock) i don't know if i should wait for the PS3 or not. One side thinks that opening and playing it on christmas would be super fun. But i also think that if i wait later then they'll come out with a better version and i'll be screwed

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

For the amount of money that the system costs i would wait for a price drop and for Sony to work out all of the bugs that seems to be plaguing the system.

3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Its your choice. I got one and love it. I install fedora core 5 and play gundam and call of duty for ps3. Make sure you have a TV that support different kinds of resoultion, my does 720p and 1080i. Also get hdmi cable.

4. wako macrumors 65816

I say wait.

There doesnt seem to be any good games out right now. Also prices you have to pay now to get one are outrageous since it is near impossible to get one in stores for the MSRP price.

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

How is the gundam game? ;)

6. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a big tv that i used for my ps2. When i mean big i mean like a big ass monitor that i have had for a while. I just measured it and it is 32". It worked fine with PS2 and the res was fine. About call of duty - are you saying that you can play PC games on a ps3?? Also for anyone else - don't take in account the price.

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Of course it was fine, the PS2 normally outputs 480i, with only some games supporting 480p, and Gran Turismo 4 being the sole 1080i game. But it'd be outright *silly* to get a PS3 without HD viewing capabilities. Make sure your TV/monitor can do 1080i and 720p like xparaparafreakx said because the PS3 can't upscale games that run at 720p and you'll get low res instead. Then get the HDMI cable and see that your TV also supports HDCP so you can watch Blu-ray movies, if you want to risk investing more money in a format that might fail. ;)

As for Call of Duty, uhhhhhh there are PS3, 360, and Wii versions of COD3. :p The PS3 can't play PC games (I wonder if you might be able to get something going with Linux on there though...).

Even if money is no matter, I'd still say wait. Wait about a year so that they'll have worked out all the bugs in the software and the hardware (remember how the disc drives in the original PS2's would stop reading discs after a while?), plus so there will be a decent selection of games available, and finally so that it will at least theoretically be easier to actually find a PS3.

8. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Or a Wii. Both work flawlessly. 360 has a nice large library of games. The Wii has fewer games, but all of them will keep you busy for a long time. Wii's cheap too. If you play your cards right, you can buy the Wii now and the PS3 when the price goes down and get them both for the price that the PS3 is now.

Daniel.

P.S. Plus the PS3 is turning out to be kind of a flop, FYI.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Miss. Vote with your wallet against a pretty ****** company pumping out the most rancid BS the games company has seen in years.

Microsoft? They're adding features not originally present in the 360.
    Nintendo? They kept things secret and has only dropped 1 feature (a whispered VGA connection)
    Sony? I won't bother. Certainly not worth my time or money now.

10. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Well I'd say to look into the Xbox 360, it has the largest library of games and is pretty much debuged. However I'm not going to be an ass about it :rolleyes: . I'd say wait. The PS3 is on it's first round and is buggy and doesn't exactly have that much games, yet. The keyword is yet. I'd look into it next year when the price may have dropped and it's built up a better library of games to play. I'd let it take it's course first though. Just put that money away for next year so you can buy it.

11. Blackcat macrumors regular

Don't be daft, it's only been out for 10 days and every unit has been sold out. The only issue is shortages really.

12. aholden12592 thread starter macrumors regular

i've thought about getting a wii and 360. I'm not into a wii because the graphics are slightly above ps2 graphics in games like GT4. And you say that 360 has a bigger library - well ya it has been out for a year. I'm sticking with the PS3. BTW My parents have an HD TV so i guess i'll end up just using that. The reason i haven't mentioned it is because it would be really inconveniant cuz they always watch tv on it:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'd say a 360. The PS3 just isn't worth the massive premium at this point. Maybe in a year they'll be on more even ground.

14. hamholio macrumors member

15. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

You seem to be more worried about graphics than games. Right now the PS3 has no games that justify the cost of the system and even graphics wise games look better on the 360 (just compare Resistance to Gears).

If you want to play great games right now and have the money to blow your best bet is to buy a 360 and a Wii which is about the same price as a PS3.

16. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i say, if you can get a ps3 for MSRP, then get it if that's what you want. i believe in the end, the PS3 will beat out the 360, and then they'll upgrade the 360.

i agree that it would be nice to open a PS3 on christmas morning. people say there aren't any good games out, but it just depends on what games you like. i like sport games, so there's good games out for me.

do what you want. if you want it, get it if you can

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

if you really love Resistance:fom : buy
    if not: wait...
    personally the ps3 has not 1 launch game which interests me ...it's a personal thing

18. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Resistance does look very cool. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Unreal Tournament 2007 is coming out on the PS3... Still, the 360 has many more games to offer.

19. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Wait.

Wait for the price to come down (to retail, or less).
    Wait for Sony to work out the bugs/kinks (if they can) with a firmware update.
    Wait for some good games to come out.
    Wait to see if Blu-ray's really going to make it.

Wait for everyone to realize what a dog the PS3 is. ;)

20. KipCoon macrumors regular

KipCoon

Wait...

Price will drop and let them work out the bugs, almost every PS launch had issues on the few batches.

That and, the Wii is more fun ;) River City Ransom FTW! :D

21. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Cough, cough, ex-Microsoft employee, cough.... :D

22. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

River City Ransom is 10 kinds of brilliant.

23. KipCoon macrumors regular

KipCoon

Indeed.

Barf.

Mm the nastalgia, oh how I love thee. And the games aren't terrible in price either, but I have a feelign they will drop down a bit once the online store picks up in business, or at least, I hope they do.

24. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Too bad I already have a 20gb and going to upgrade the HDD to a nice big one, 160Gb or more.

I got both a wii and ps3. The best combo you can buy.

Graphics are great and gameplay is really simple. The japanese people love gundam and they can't be worng can they?

I have a 27 1080i tv and a 50 SXRD (Sonys version of LCoS) 1080i tv. You need a big tv and no I dont play PC games on the ps3. The PS3 is a PPC and only has 256mb of ram.