PS3 & Wii Attach rate is announced... update:360 added

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Nov 21, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well US launch is now history so how did the attach rate hold up.

Well

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nintendo suck, look how rubbish they are.

Nah. It's certainly an interesting launch. Big giant Sony pump out few consoles, rubbish games, rushed launch etc. Nintendo make a lot, have Zelda etc...

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I wonder how much of a loss Sony made on the first day and how much of a profit Nintendo made on their first day.

It'll be interesting to see what the attatch rate is in a few weeks time for both systems, once all the ebayed ones have gone through.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This time next year, that's what I want to know. Also curious to where the 360 will be standing.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well it isn't coming as a surprise isn't it ?

actually compared to japan the ps3 attach rate seems doing ok with 1.5

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I kinda wished I had stood in line for a PS3. Last week I had to pay $775 for Winter classes so I can graduate this Spring. Pesky college...

Anyway, I bought 2 games and don't even own a Wii yet so I might be skewing the figures a tad...

7. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Not to sound biased, but I'm really glad Nintendo is winning over Sony right now. They're being innovative and they fully deserve the success they receive. Sony has no support from me yet. It's all about the 360 and Wii right now. :) And that's great that the Wii's average games sold is 3.0. With Zelda alone, I think the Wii had a pretty successful launch. All it takes is one popular franchise to sell a console.

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yeah, but you have to bear in mind that in Japan the consoles were sold separately, people weren't forced to buy packs of ps3s + several games.

9. mkaake macrumors 65816

How many of the 4 million consoles did Nintendo have in the states for launch?

2 million?

Some quick math...

3 * 2,000,000 >> 1.5 * 380,000

That's a lot more games for Nintendo. Not that it really matters at all anyway, but it's nice that at least Nintendo is making some money right now...

Three cheers that we've got 3 consoles out that give us choice and a wide variety of games to play... for at least another 5 years.

10. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The really crazy thing is that Nintendo is apparently making a profit on each console while Sony is making losses of about $200-$300 per machine. If Sony and Nintendo make $20 profit per game sold, that puts Sony at making a loss of about $60 million on launch in the states vs Nintendo's profit of $120 million (based on them breaking even on the Wiis).

This is all by the by though, since no one really knows how much profit/loss Nintendo and Sony are making per console and game and the attach rate will be far more even in a few months once all the launch consoles on eBay have been sold.

11. wako macrumors 65816

Im sorry... but what are you trying to say? First I had the impression you dont like Nintendo. Then you go to say, Sony sucked. Then Im just totally confused whether you are going back on your word, or you were just typing in some jibberish....

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

and that's not even factoring in the sales of virtual console sales etc. which might be quite something

and nintendo has even going to launch in more regions yet in december where the lead while be improved very likely even more over the ps3

gonna be interesting how the next months end up

13. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yeah, I wonder how many people will be buying Mario 64 alone! Nintendo are onto a serious winner here, each virtual console game made by Nintendo sold by them is pure profit since they will have already paid for themselves several times over on the original console. Seriously, they must be laughing all the way to the bank!

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed...Nintendo sucks.
    Both consoles got crappy games at launch with only one stupid title that stands out from each system...but this time next year things will be better and xbox360 will be in the grave.

Bless

15. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

How it is surprising at all? Not only are there very few PS3's in the hands of gamers (as the article explains), the PS3 has an extremely poor launch lineup. Even if someone were to give me one, I don't think there is a single game I would want to buy.

Hell, I have 3 Wii games and I don't even have a Wii yet. :p

16. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Update

360 attach rate revealed.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm sorry, but how can these good games (one for each system, if you will) be called stupid?

I thought it might, I was using it to have a little go at Sony (they deserve it, after the amount of shovelled BS they gave us) but thought I might get the Sony crew having a pop at me so I tried to lessen it's meaning :D

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I think I'll stick to my 360 until the Wii gets a few more games released for it. Lets hope that a new Metroid game comes out for it.

Until then though I seriously think that the 360 has the edge on the PS3.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Metroid Prime 3 was one of the first games announced for the Wii :confused:

20. fireball jones macrumors member

Nintendo has always been profitable, this isn't a huge surprise.

I assume they're not counting Wii sports as part of that attach rate?

21. chaslam macrumors regular

Not being funny, but I really hope the PS3 fails, or at least fails against sales of the 360. Sony had really mocked MS about the xbox 360, and have really thrown everything they have into it.

Firstly, their most stupid move was to base it around Blu-ray. If blu-ray fails, what will happen to all the new games that will be made on blu-ray disks?

Secondly, they have designed things for the PS3 (for instance the bannana controller) and, when the public see it, have totally denied that sony even invented that controller! They have slated MS so much for things like this, saying that the 360 is s**t compared to the PS3, so I just want to see it being thrown back in their faces, and eat their words.

22. islandman macrumors 6502

Microsoft is really fortunate to have gotten such a head start. The attach rate of the 360 does not surprise me, because the console seems to be priced right, and there are enough good games now to buy.

I don't hope Sony fails, but I will say that they're getting what they deserve. They have been making blunder after blunder over the past several years.

23. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I think many series will migrate to the XBOX360 this gen, I mean Ps2 was awesome last gen but PS3 looks so so at the moment... I might only get it for Formula One Championship, Pro Evolution Soccer, Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4 and of course, the Jak & Ratchet games... if thye don't go to the Xbox360 lol:p

Either way I won't get any of the two consoles anytime soon, I'm focused on getting a Wii right now, when Devil May Cry 4 comes out and its a game in the vein of DMC3 (crazy fast paced action, extremely difficult game) I'll probably spring for a PS3.

I was just about to buy a Xbox360 but then I realized there are not that many games I'm interested in playing and many of them are released on the PC anyways...

Now Wii looks great and for the price you can't complain, I'll stick to that and my gaming PC until a really good killer app comes out on PS3/Xbox360 (sorry GoW is not enough for me and it might get a PC port anyways).

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Come to think of it, it might have been the first. Smash Bros was the first announced onstage (Iwata said at E3 05 that a new smash bros title would come out and be online) and it later turned out that they started development the same day as the announcement.

But IIRC Retro Studios was talking about Metroid Prime 3 before that.

25. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Heh my interest in the Wii has only just picked up recently. I have to admit that I thought it looked rubbish for a long time. Hence the lack of knowledge on Wii games.