ps3/wii quality control

Discussion in 'Games' started by darkwing, Dec 28, 2006.

1. darkwing macrumors 65816

With the exception of the Wiimote strap issue (which seems to be working in Nintendo's favor actually) it seems the PS3 and Wii have had their launches without a hitch. While it might be a couple years before early adopters find out that a laser diode becomes misaligned or something like that, it seems both Sony and Nintendo have done a good job. I can't find any widespread reports about either system having major flaws.

Everyone remember all the X-box overheating issues? ;)

My PS3 runs rather cool and in fact, spits out air that is on par with my Core 2 Duo MBP in terms of temperature. I know there were stories about prototypes overheating in those demo booths but I can't find any mass evidence of that with the released product.

On another note, I had a bad experience at GameStop #1086. When I rushed down to buy my PS3 on 12/15 after calling and finding out they just got 4 in, the manager there told me that the PS3s had a 50% failure rate and were prone to overheating. She wanted me to buy a $70 warranty. I declined this coverage, and went home to find nothing online that backed her story up. I wrote to GameStop's investor relations (I'm a shareholder) and then called their store relations hotline and was put in touch with a district manager. It turns out that the lady I spoke with at GS not only has heard of any overheating issues with the PS3 but that the warranties are only $50! I'm pretty upset with them right now. :(

The store manager tried to tell me when I called her that the notices of overheating came from Sony themselves and were forwarded to stores by GS corporate. Yeah right.

As for me I'll be playing the heck out of my PS3 and buying a Wii for Super Smash Bros Brawl later on in 2007. :)

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Unless you count the wii's bricking after the USA launch and the first firmware update.

And the constantly frozen PS3's on display stands.

Like others my 360 has been perfect since launch last year.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well My Wii is running well without a sound and my friend PS3 is still rolling since day one. 360 had some crazy malfunction but it didn't take them long to get the kinks out(my 360 is perfect from day one)...so far sony and Nintendo consoles don't have the problems that xbox360 was born into but they have kinks as well.

Bless

4. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I believe the only issue if you can call it that was Sony having trouble getting production ramped up on their bluray diodes. A few PS2 games didn't work in the PS3, but that was resolved with a patch that allows games like FFXI to see the HD.

Overall Sony did a great job, considering the cutting edge technology in the PS3 its quite the feat to release with little to no issues.

I'll agree with you on the heat, that little thing pushes it out well. Comparing it to a MBP is pretty accurate :D

The Nintendo issue I dont think ever was one. Those original straps were rated to 300lbs, that should have been more than enough to keep them intact. I blame most of that on user error and people making fake/staged youtube videos, come on who records themselves playing a game.. really...

Ed

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Must add i'm impressed with the wii's drive it's very quiet when reading data.

Is the ps3's drive quiet or is it noisy when accessing disc ? Will be picking one up March release.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Theres nothing noisy about the PS3 at all...the whole machine is very quiet. I barely hear the disk load.

Bless

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sweet. Thats good news indeed.

As long as Motorstorm, WarHawk, RFOM & Virtua Fighter 5 are european launch titles I'm sure I'll justify the near €1000 purchase... ;)

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Without a hitch?

My Wii still won't connect after initially connecting and downloading the firmware update.

Nintendo says it's my connection, but in connected fine the first time! Tried everything they said but to no avail...

Games still play though, unable to purchase and download stuff online...

9. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

I've not heard of any frozen PS3s on game stands. I've heard though that they can have problems in those things because they can't ventilate properly. I didnt' know the Wii had connection problems. Sounds like it's software related and caused by the first patch so hopefully Wii owners will see another patch soon.

10. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

My Wii has never had any connection problem at all. I get to the marketplace and weather channel just fine. I have updated the console twice and it still working. Mabey this helps?

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I bet the frozen/overheated PS3s in display cases were frozen/overheated because they weren't getting enough airflow into that tight enclosed space. The fan on the display unit itself may even have crapped out.

12. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

My PS3 run fine but those display units have no airflow what so ever in them.

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

My Wii controllers have been wonky recently. One of them would only work when not plugged into a Nunchuk. If you plugged one in, the pointer functionality would die and the buttons would stop responding. Very frustrating.

14. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

When I was buying my PS3 at BB yesterday, the cashier went on and on about how they have been having issues, trying to sell me some $100 extended warranty. Upon me saying "No Thanks" she was like, "You sure?" Umm yes? And then by the time I was done paying, someone else higher up around there came over and they teamed up on me, still trying to sell me the extended warranty. I seriously don't think the chances of it failing in years 2 or 3 (first year covered by Sony) are worth me paying an extra $100 today. And really, if they are trying to sell this so hard on me, it's probably not that great a deal. Last time I checked BB is still a for-profit company, so stop acting like you're doing me a favor!

15. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

i have noticed that in all the display cases the actual unit is housed below the "display" and has plenty of airflow

16. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

my wii froze two days ago, but that might have been because some girls were playing with us, idk

17. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yeah, those Cooties get into the CPU's heatsink (they love hot spots) and make the Wii overheat and crash. Make sure to sterilize it everytime a girl touches any part of the hardware.

My Wii so far as been fantastic. I've never had a problem with Nintendo hardware in the last several generations. It did crash ONCE after exiting a game, not sure why.

I don't trust the PS3, even if it's been OK for owners so far (or has it? I thought I heard some reports of bugs and stuff, I dunno) because of what happened with the first generation PS2s. And I know the Xbox 360 had some problems, maybe they've been fixed, but if I were planning on buying one I'd be hesitant.