PS3 & Xbox 360 Side by Side Comparison Pics

Discussion in 'Games' started by Piarco, May 12, 2006.

1. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Doesn't look as sleek - or as small - as some of the original pics (the one's with the boomerang controller) which is a bit of a shame IMO. I would (and still may) get a PS3 as a Blu-Ray DVD player, but it looks a bit fugly now...

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Meh, I'm sure the Bluray drive causes for a little more space, and I bet Sony is also compensating for heat issues ahead of time with a little bit bigger chassy. Something MS obviously didn't do.

I'm getting one regardless.

3. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I never thought I'd consider my 360 "sleek" and "refined," but that P$3 is just fugly. :)

I also like the ability to change 360 faceplates and "skin" the console.

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

From what I hear the 360's heat issues are in the power supply, not the unit itself. I don't have one, so I could be remembering it all wrong.

5. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

That's pretty much what the case was with some of the early 360's. I've never had the problem myself thankfully!
    Wonder if the PS3 power supply is internal rather than a power brick... could explain some more of the extra bulk?

6. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Not to derail the thread, but this is my understanding as well. The power brick for the 360 is aptly named; it's huge. :D

Keeping the brick well ventilated and not trapped in a confined space seems to be key. Neither I, nor anyone I know with a 360, have had any overheating issues so it's tough to say.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If you compare the PS3 with it's earlier prototype, it looks like Sony added a lot of vents for cooling. That seems to be the biggest difference, but the new one is a little wider.

[​IMG]

8. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

I see no problem with either console, as far as looks go.

9. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I agree with the previous poster in that I think both consoles look nice. The only reason I'm not getting a PS3 at launch is because of the price. Plus, the only PS3 exclusive game that intrigues me is Assassins Creed (I believe that's the name).

10. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I like the silver design more. The black just looks larger and less "friendly" due to its industrial design.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I like the silver one better too. But the black one reminds me of the PS2. It's like seeing a familiar face while in a distant land. It makes things feel like home.

12. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Ah, nice catch Grapes!

As far as the 360 goes. There IS a heat issue with the machine itself. Why do you think the fans are louder than christ? That's why I'm on number 3. The first two had a heat sink that popped and would lock the machine almost instantly after boot. If not it would take a couple of minutes (when there was no disc in the machine). THis is why MS is modifying the cooling system in the machine soon.

13. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

My consoles are behind a tinted glass, so I could care less about how they look. I'm Xbox360 all the way, but would get a PS3 after a price drop, or two. :D

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just hope the PS3 laser doesnt suffer as much as the ps2. I'm on my fourth Ps2, the others all dead from laser failure. And I keep my discs in pristine condition (no scratches at all)......

PS3 will probably be as loud and power hungry as the 360. Have you seen the size of standalone BluRay machines. They are that size for a reason.

Silver is nicer, I think the black looks too much like the ps2 and i've never been a fan of its blocky design..

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The PS3 is beautiful....i love it....a little bigger than the 360 but oh well...the PS2 was ugly.

Bless

16. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The new PS3 looks like it was designed by the Borg Queen. :/

17. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

You should see the jokes we make about it at school. "You could hide the 16pack of Guiness as the 360 power brick [for a LAN party]. Of course, you'd have to bulk it out a bit, but it should do" :D

18. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

My fans aren't loud at all. Its the damn optical drive that is!

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Hope the PS3 power brick aint bigger than the brooklyn bridge....

bless

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Well, my 3rd unit isn't as bad as the first two at all. The fans kick up every now and then very briefly, usually when loading a disc, but then it stops. So it probably was an earlier issue that they may have corrected with one of the recent firmware updates...

21. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

why can't these idiots design a console that doesn't look like a toy and blends in with other hi-fi equipment easily? This is ridiculous!

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Big, loud. No wonder MS wants you to get a Wii. Most people probably don't have room for a PS3 and 360! Looking on my desk now I could only squeeze in a 360, stick a Wii vertical next to the wall.

and I thought the 360 was big :eek: no offence to them, they have to fit a lot in there. but it still doesn't change the outcome of "big".

23. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

That's the main reason I'm disappointed with the redesign. In its original format it would look very much at home with my Sky+ HD box, and a Hi Def TV, but the new version seems to be the offspring of the PS3 concept and the original PS2!

24. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I find it wierd that all three of them are advertising their machines upright as opposed to horizontally. I mean, I know you can use them either way, but it's just a wierd thing to look at. Who has an 18"+ inch tall shelf under the TV?

25. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

My PS2 is upright and has always been that way. I put next to TV, not under it. I wonder what percentage of people keep it vertical as a opposed to horizontal.