PS3s being traded for Wiis.

Discussion in 'Games' started by gloss, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Sounds about right. Sony needs to get some decent games out for one! I guess the European launch could go either way, either people won't care anymore because they have their 360s and their Wiis or they'll all want PS3s because there's a semi-decent line up of games. There are some good games coming by March for the PS3, right??

2. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

People I talk to say they ARE going to get a PS3 when the selection of games picks up. But I wouldn't go as far as tradeing my PS3 for a Wii.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yet again, just an example of what Nintendo have. It hasn't sunk in yet but this is going to be massive. Just like one of the guys who posted a comment, word of mouth is very powerful with the Wii -

-My sister never played games consoles. Played on GBA and DS rarely. cant wait for our Wii to arrive.
    -My 79 year old granddad. Comes over, pops into my bedroom whilst I'm doing some work and starts talking about "that machine where you move your body". Never played any computer game, only exposure to gaming was my NES I brought over to his house as a kid.
    -Uncle. Had a GB, now got a DS Lite. Can count all the games he owns on one hand. Saw the Wii, hunted through town to put a pre-order down.
    -Parents. no gaming since the NES. Mum used to play Super Mario Bros when I was at school, played some Amiga games too.
    -Friend Anna. Never played a games machine in her life. Showed her a vid of the system in action, she frantically rang her boyfriend then ran into town to find one on launch day. Extremely dissapointed she couldn't find one. Bought one off eBay for stupid amounts of money.
    -Cousins boyfriend. Sony and Microsoft addictee. Didn't like Nintendos "kiddy image". Just got a DS Lite and is trying to hunt down a Wii. Sold his PSP to fund a small collection of must-have DS titles.

List goes on. They're just the most extreme cases! Trading in PS3's doesn't sound too bad. Both are lacking games right now, one has augmented reality one has "future potential". Maybe the PS3 will pick up later on. But the Wii really is something to not underestimate.

4. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Once both the systems ramp up i see Nintendo and Sony fighting it out for the #1 spot while Microsoft will be a distant 3rd. In the long term I still see Sony leading the fight, especially since the prices on HDTV's are coming down.

Nintendo has a contender this time around, but Sony still has the massive market share that will be hard to beat. Nintendo will retain their title as most profitable gaming company.

Sony definitely wont have it as easy as they did with the PS2, but this time around the 360 will be the "gamecube" of the fight, minus the profit.

5. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Just to add to that my father who doesn't know how to turn on the computer until about 2 months ago and is still struggling to figure out how to log on is now playing the week about once every week with my brother... pretty crazy..

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Crack kills. Better stop smoking it. ;)

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I have to agree...xBox 360 just has to much going for it.

That said Japan leaves MS in a hard place, as they are still having trouble getting in the market, so I can see xBox 360 as a 3rd(possibly) but if it is it will be because of a slow uptake of X360 in Japan.

8. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

err, you mean Wii?;)

9. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh yeah... :eek:

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think it's going to be very hard to actually predict a winner this time round.

Nintendo has a very cheap system and is pulling all the right PR punches, and actually is pulling in the non-gamers.
    Microsoft got out early (meaning larger userbase, more games etc), have a middle priced system, a fantastic online system.
    Sony has its brand power. A controller inbetween the Wii and 360 (IMO, better than 360, if only it looked the same) but a price the combination of both.

Where the 360 has 9 million systems sold and doing badly in one big gaming country, the Wii has now sold 2 million since being out for a month. I didn't see that coming. I was planning on walking into any town/city before Xmas and be able to pick a Wii up.
    Incidentally the 360 wasn't in the Xmas top 10 list. 1 was the Wii, iPod in 2nd and HDTV's and HD machines in general in 3rd.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

ROFL!

Actually I wish Nintendo partially ballsed this one up so I'd be able to get one, then somehow picked up steam to the public.

12. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

"God be praised!"

13. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Agreed!

14. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Theres 5 wiimotes in the picture. Can you use 5 wiimotes at a time???

15. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

One's connected to a Mac.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

To MY mac.

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's a Miracle!

(or I got carried away in photoshop :eek:.)