Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
When I start up Bloodborne or Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, both running from the hard drive, the fans instantly go into overdrive and pretty much stay that way till I quit the game. Very loud, very annoying. With other games (GTA5, Minecraft) it stays relatively quiet.

Is it normal for the console to heat up that bad while running games that are more demanding than others? Do your PS4's turn into jet engines when playing Bloodborne?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Some games are more demanding than others. A question tho. How old is your ps4 and how often do you use it? The reason I ask is it could need a clean. A good blast with compressed air will do the job.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I've had this one since January, it's the 20th anniversary edition that I won. Between games and Netflix, it gets quite a lot of use. I've used the vaccuum cleaner to suck dust out of the air vents before, but that didn't make much of a difference. I'll have to check if I still have some canned air lying around... It's also summertime here, and our apartment can heat up to about 30 degrees C, so that probably doesn't help.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Yeah 30'c isn't good really. Both the Xbox and ps4 run on fairly under par cooling solutions for the chips they run.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I've had this one since January, it's the 20th anniversary edition that I won. Between games and Netflix, it gets quite a lot of use. I've used the vaccuum cleaner to suck dust out of the air vents before, but that didn't make much of a difference. I'll have to check if I still have some canned air lying around... It's also summertime here, and our apartment can heat up to about 30 degrees C, so that probably doesn't help.

Using a collectible console? Not keeping it NIB (New In Box)? :eek:

(runs off screaming)

Well, yeah, make sure the vents are clear, an "air" job should do the trick (the term used is slightly different ;) ).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Mine doesn't do that ... Could it be the hard drive upgrade ?

Mine does get louder but not jet engine louder. (Actually makes me appreciate the fat XOne & external power brick as its always completely silent)...

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Mine doesn't do that ... Could it be the hard drive upgrade ?

Mine does get louder but not jet engine louder. (Actually makes me appreciate the fat XOne & external power brick as its always completely silent)...

Not sure about the hard drive. I have the 1TB hybrid installed.

It's a little cooler in the house today, 22 deg instead of 29. I'll see if that makes a difference.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Still loud today, but a little better, not full-on jet engine.

I repositioned it in the cabinet,,so it has more room to breathe in the back.

Now hunting for some canned air. How do I use that mmost efficiently? Just blow into the vent openings? Or open up the console?

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Still loud today, but a little better, not full-on jet engine.

I repositioned it in the cabinet,,so it has more room to breath in the back.

Now hunting for some canned air. How do I use that mmost efficiently? Just blow into the vent openings? Or open up the console?

Quick blasts a few centimetres was from the vents because you don't want to disrupt anything internally or cause damage to a fan.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Quick blasts a few centimetres was from the vents because you don't want to disrupt anything internally or cause damage to a fan.

Read some things about how that could actually push dust deeper into the system, so I am still a little hesitant.

Also thinking about trying the vertical stand. Any experience on how the vertical position will improve the air flow, or make it worse?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Read some things about how that could actually push dust deeper into the system, so I am still a little hesitant.

Also thinking about trying the vertical stand. Any experience on how the vertical position will improve the air flow, or make it worse?

I've always used mine on the vertical stand. It's never been horizontal and it's not in a cabinet mine either.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I put it on the vertical stand and set it out in the open, just to make absolutely sure that not having enough "space to breathe" is not the issue. Barely made a diffrence. When I start up Bloodborne, it starts off only semi-loud, and as soon as I fight Father Gasoline, it goes full blast. It does slow down a little when the fight is over (i.e. I am dead) though. Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is still pretty much constant jet engine mode. Real bummer, as the game's mood is so quiet and peaceful. MRU, have you tried Rapture yet? Does your PS4 stay quiet?

I just took the vacuum cleaner to the air vents today, combined with quick strong bursts of air into the system to knock stuff loose. I didn't *see* any dust coming out, but hopefully it helped a little. Will test tonight, once the apartment cools down a little.

A month ago, we had our bathroom renovated. I suspect the construction work (tearing up wall and floor tiles) released a lot of fine dust into the air, this may be the culprit. Then again, I have read many reports of other people's consoles acting like mine, so it doesn't seem to be too uncommon. Opening it up and wiping clean the fan blades supposedly does wonders, but I don't want to remove the factory seals on my limited edition... :(

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I put it on the vertical stand and set it out in the open, just to make absolutely sure that not having enough "space to breathe" is not the issue. Barely made a diffrence. When I start up Bloodborne, it starts off only semi-loud, and as soon as I fight Father Gasoline, it goes full blast. It does slow down a little when the fight is over (i.e. I am dead) though. Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is still pretty much constant jet engine mode. Real bummer, as the game's mood is so quiet and peaceful. MRU, have you tried Rapture yet? Does your PS4 stay quiet?

I just took the vacuum cleaner to the air vents today, combined with quick strong bursts of air into the system to knock stuff loose. I didn't *see* any dust coming out, but hopefully it helped a little. Will test tonight, once the apartment cools down a little.

A month ago, we had our bathroom renovated. I suspect the construction work (tearing up wall and floor tiles) released a lot of fine dust into the air, this may be the culprit. Then again, I have read many reports of other people's consoles acting like mine, so it doesn't seem to be too uncommon. Opening it up and wiping clean the fan blades supposedly does wonders, but I don't want to remove the factory seals on my limited edition... :(

Yeah mine doesn't make any tangible difference in Rapture audio wise :( Sounds indeed like something is very peculiar.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Always the latest firmware.

My vacuum cleaner stunt did not really help. Still constantly loud playing Rapture, and varyingly loud playing Bloodborne. Just gonna live with it for now. Don't want to send it back, and don't want to open it, as it's the limited edition. At some point I will treat myself to a quieter hardware revision PS4 Slim, when it's out.

The good news is, while testing Bloodborne for fan noise, I finally beat Father Gasoline! :D

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
When I start up Bloodborne or Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, both running from the hard drive, the fans instantly go into overdrive and pretty much stay that way till I quit the game. Very loud, very annoying. With other games (GTA5, Minecraft) it stays relatively quiet.

Is it normal for the console to heat up that bad while running games that are more demanding than others? Do your PS4's turn into jet engines when playing Bloodborne?

I had blood borne when it was released and it ran ok, albeit a few glitches (And the really really long loading screens...). I completed it before the first patch was released. I have popped it in again since to for friends to have a play with and noticed that It seems to run a bit laggier since its been patched, and does take a toll on my fans pretty much instantly. Not sure why. It definitely seems laggier than before anyway because i would have not been able to play it all the way through if it was that bad. Not sure if there has been more patches since or not. Either way, it is quite a power hungry game and loud fan noise is to be expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.